1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Brown

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by hkbhoy, May 15, 2007.

Discuss Scott Brown in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Bunk Moreland

There is no great youth coaches so how is saying some are good doing their job backtracking?

Yeah people who talk sense seem to attract the * idiots who don't. Hence you still here wasting my * time.

2. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Just the tone of some of the comments are a bit below the belt Peej. I totally agree that we need to get away from the jobs for the boys * but I also believe that Broony, given the right opportunities elsewhere, could come back to the club further down the line in do some sort of coaching job at Parkhead as there's no doubt that he knows how to keep fit

3. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    I think people's feelings are a bit raw at the moment due to everything that has happened and practically anyone at Parkhead could be criticised for their part in it. I think it would suit Broony to be let go at the end of this season and perhaps get his coaching badges and, who knows, could come back to our club further down the line.

JamesM09 likes this.
  4. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Not one? You’re wrong, there’s several. Nick * at Man Utd is a good example. Spent over a decade at Watford, was headhunted and developed over 50 players who became first team players and according to him, a few are household names now. He says he prefers youth development as he feels he has a talent for it. Wim Jonk at Ajax was also incredibly highly thought of in the football world. Or Alex Inglethorpe at Liverpool who was given more responsibility in youth development after impressing as U21 manager. Just because you don’t know their names, doesn’t mean they don’t exist.

That’s just your opinion.

Depends what our ambitions are. Tierney and McGregor were the last proper breakthrough players we’ve had, we should be aiming to produce first team players more regularly. I’m not expecting one a season and it also depends on a manager giving them a chance, but it’s been a while now.

5. Bunk Moreland

Funny that nobody in here had heard of Nick * or any of the others you mentioned except Wim Jonk because he was a player and now a first team manager. Nick * was headhunted? I guess Sky Sports missed that big transfer then? He wasn't and you only know him because of Google.

6. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Anyone who listens to any coaching podcasts will know about any of the coaches he said and will know plenty more.

Just because you don’t know any doesn’t mean they don’t exist.

And even if he had have googled them, he’s still correct. But it’s you that googled him and now trying to cover yourself for looking like a *.

The Dude likes this.
  7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell held talks with Parkhead captain Scott Brown this week – and told him the decision on his future is entirely in his own hands.

Brown, who lost his first team place to Ismaila Soro at the end of last year and has frequently started games on the bench during the 2020/21 campaign, is out of contract at the end of May.

The midfielder turns 36 in June and it is unclear if he will sign a new deal, move elsewhere to finish his playing career or take up a coaching role at Lennoxtown.

A new manager is set to come in to replace Neil Lennon, who resigned from his position on Tuesday in the wake of a 1-0 defeat to Ross County away, in the coming months.

But Lawwell, who will himself stand down in June after nearly 18 years at the Glasgow giants, informed Brown he is free to choose what he wants to do.

Asked what his intentions are, the Celtic captain said: “I am not 100% sure if I am honest. I take it one game at a time and go with the flow.

"I spoke to Peter about the situation a couple of days ago as well and he says he it is completely and utterly up to myself whether I want to stay or go into a coaching role.

“As it stands now I am here to support John (caretaker Kennedy) and to try to help the lads as much as I possibly can and see what happens. I’ll see if I am still playing and take it from there at the end of the season.

“It is not that long until the end of the season and it would be a bit premature now to say that I wanted to dive in or say that I wanted to a coaching role. For me it is about trying to play for as long as I can, trying to keep myself happy and fit.”

8. mayo

Please don’t start broony today John

9. Pearse67*

* me, completely upto himself what happens!?

we are a joke club!!

10. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Lol. SkySports have reported on him, even if they don't make a song and dance about youth academy appointments. You've been proven wrong, have the humility to accept it.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    The Dude and Valhalla like this.
  11. JamesM09

There definitely are elite youth coaches mate. The traditional view of youth coaching being inferior to senior coaching doesn’t really stand at other places and on the continent.

Here we seem to still have the basic view that you start at youth level and ‘work your way up’. Over there they understand coaching youth can go to the elite level. It’s a speciality that is given respect for reasons that should be obvious.

It’s frustrating as * that we don’t click onto this and still treat it like a lesser role for ex-players to get a wee start. No doubt Brown will be offered it at some point instead of investing some money in an expert youth coaching team.

Honestly when you consider how much money there is to be made in developing and selling youth it’s negligent that we invest so little in the youth coaching infrastructure.

King of Kings likes this.
  12. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Nice way to dodge any responsibility from the board there.

“Up to you Scott. Just tell us what you want to do and we’ll get it sorted for you. It’s not like we’re trying to run a successful football club here, and a key part of my job is to make decisions with regards to the clubs finances - like discussing the future of one of our top earners”

Honestly, it feels like we’re running a kids club for some players where we’ll do anything and everything we can to cater for their needs. At the same time we’re a de-facto super club for other players, where we sign them, never give them a chance, and lain them out consistently until their contract expires and they leave for free.

Not a knock on Brown, but I can’t easily part with money when our highly paid CEO has no opinion whatsoever on wether one of our highest paid players should stay or not. I think his time is up, but I would just be happy to see the club express an opinion on that one way or another, rather than just shrug and say “up to you Scotty”.

The Phoenix likes this.
  13. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Lawwell playing the job for the boys role right to the end it seems.

End of the day, it's not up to Kennedy or lawwell any more to be makin such long term decisions on players in a situation like brown.

He's at the age and ability now it needs to be down to McKay and the new manager.

Either Kennedy or lawwell making this call is just daft and a bad way to contact this season.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

The Phoenix likes this.
  14. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

You talking sense?:56:

Back to the hun thread where you can keep being a thick * but not be laughed at quite as much.

15. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    A * disgrace, why the * are we acting like Brown is bigger than the club? He's been as disgraceful as anyone this season where his 'leadership' has been posted missing in the season it mattered most, he's a man down on the park & clearly off it as well in motivating the players/sorting the dressing room, it's time we ditched him once & for all, he's now stagnating the development of others by taking up an unnecessary place in the match day squad & for some reason no one is strong enough to stand up to him to tell him his time is up. We're far too * soft as a club, when a player is done they're ditched with no sentimentality at the ruthless clubs but we just allow them to continue to stink the place out & * up our results which Brown most certainly has the majority of the season when he's played because he's so * slow which invites more pressure onto the defence with no protection & prevents as many attacks because he fails to get the ball forward quickly enough.

I've never been one for sentiment, GTF just as big a problem as Lennon this season!

16. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    “A new manager might come in and see me just turning 36 and think I’m not going to be part of it.

“But I’m big and old enough to take that on the chin. Me and Peter will maybe work something out before that happens.”

Sly * comment, he KNOWS there's a very high chance the new manager won't be interested in involving him in match day squads due to him being done, but is still looking to get a new contract anyway just to rinse the club of an extra years wages whilst he probably does coaching still collecting a first team wage, this isn't Celtic captain material talking thinking about what's best for the team, he's only thinking about himself, goes against everything a captain should be, I wanted him to * off to Australia 2 years ago & haven't changed that stance since.

Nothing should be happening with Brown until the new manager is appointed, sneaky as * sorting out his future before that. * Lawwell too the soft * for being a shitebag with Brown.

Westlondonscot likes this.
  17. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    He needs to go and start his coaching career at a club like Ajax, Salzburg/Leipzig ect if such an opportunity would arise, even if it’s under 18’s.

I don’t think he could bring anything to a coaching role at Celtic based off his playing career, he’s spent just 3 years of his career working under a good manager.

He’s been a great captain at SPL level but our league is largely dross and i just get Lennon vibes off him IMO.

18. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Ajax, Salzburg, Leipzig?
    What you smoking pal?

If he's not yet ready or good enough to be in the Celtic coaching roles he by * is nowhere near ready for those sort of clubs, who are way above us right now.

He's best going to Australia to do a player coach thing, try coaching at a Hibs or a Wigan level of club.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

19. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Can just imagine him trying to teach the Ajax, Salzburg & Leipzig youngsters how to pass the ball sideways & backwards effectively, oh and don't forget the no look pass cause it looks * dynamite :giggle1:

Peej likes this.
  20. Bunk Moreland

Well done, you've responded to me three times now and still haven't contributed a single thing to the discussion :56:and you call others thick...