1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Anthony Stokes

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by LoveTheTic88, Jul 23, 2013.

Discuss Anthony Stokes in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Did you see him in Turkey? Used in a completely different way than he is used in the league and he was excellent. Used correctly, he can be a quality player for us, hopefully Lennon sees that now.

2. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I swear you are looking for an argument every time you post, either that or you know nothing about football.

3. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hard to choose ... different players for different era's
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Stokesy did not score but he had a good game - apart from his red card. As long as he is playing like this i am happy for him to be at our club.

4. Murph-E

Get him ta *.

5. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

How people still don't understand that the lad isn't an out and out striker and is suffering due to being played in an unfamiliar position is beyond me.

He has played well in the last few domestic games, including having a hand in all three goals the other day. His pass to Forrest for the third goal was fantastic.

People that want to get him to * obviously don't watch Celtic games and just see the result, see he hasn't scored and form an opinion from that, it's the only reason I can come up with for people not seeing what he brings to the team.

6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    He was heavily involved in all 3 goals on the weekend, that's what he brings to the team. Need to play him next to a proper striker to get the best out of him, likewise Pukki.

7. PliXter

Stokes isn't a frontman. He's the type of player who'd rather create a chance than score, which is fair enough because his shooting is hit and miss.

8. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    What position is he then? He's been played as an out and out striker his whole career and was bought on the premise that he'd be a consistent goalscorer.

9. Celtic abu

Agreed with the previous posts. I am Stokes biggest fan and I have been disappointed in his lack of his goals as well but he brings so much to the team. All the play is going through either him or Commons. We need to get a striker like Hooper playing beside them again. Stokesy is having to do so much work up top and he has done a very good job considering that isn't his position. I want to see Tony Watt playing with Stokes and Commons next season

10. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    How do you know what premise he was bought on?

Apart from this season though, he has been a consistent goalscorer, he's always played as he has, he has always been a more withdrawn striker, one that gets involved in the play.

That's being leaving us with no-one up top, Commons has been filling in the gaps left up there though so it's been all good. We need another striker though, one that plays the width of the 18 yard box and can be a focal point upfront.

11. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

How many goals did he score in his first couple of seasons here?

We have all seen what he's capable of,people making it out as if he has never had an eye for goal are revising history.If the club had got the * finger out and got adequate replacement for Hooper then we probably wouldn't be having this discussion.

He's not a loan striker,he shouldn't be the only option in Europe,we know this already.

12. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    He scored goals at Hibs and Falkirk, when we signed him I thought and I'm sure you did too that he's there to score a lot of goals for us.

I do agree though that his struggles up front have a lot to do with no partner, like Hooper, who is a box striker because he and Pukki are too similar imo. It'd be good to see what he can do up front with Balde.

13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    And he has scored goals. However, anyone who watched him play and knew his game knew that that's not the main part of his game, he's not a man to lead the line himself, he drops too deep and gets involved in the play too much to do that and his game is better for it, he's one of a few who could play a pass like he did to Forrest for the 3rd goal or drop deep and play the ball through to Atajic in Motherwell.

He's a talented player and goals come from him when he has somebody to play off of. This season though a lot has been overlooked of the work he does off the ball, he needs to get on the end of more in the box but the work he does dragging defenders about allows the players he plays with to fill the gaps that he eventually leaves and Commons has been doing that amazingly well. After all, it's a team game.

14. Mr. Slippyfist

First two seasons playing regularly beside Hooper:

<table class="wikitable"><tbody><tr><td>29</td> <td>14</td> <td>6</td> <td>5</td> <td>0</td> <td>0</td> <td>35</td> <td>19</td> </tr> <tr> <td>
    </td> <td>34</td> <td>12

</td></tr></tbody></table>

Played 29, Scored 14

Played 34, Scored 12

15. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That's league goals only wasn't it?

16. Mr. Slippyfist

Yip, haven't even added in assists or * all.

The guy can clearly score goals (contrary to popular, derogatory belief) and is an excellent team player.

17. gerard1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic song
    I met Stokes last night in the rock bar he's a sound fella

Attached Files:

18. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Can't disagree with much of that. I still think he could try and adapt his game better to get into more scoring positions and play further up the field. He is the main striker now and a main striker at Celtic, whether it's fair or not, is judged on goals.

19. Mr. Slippyfist

Not by those that matter though, i.e the manager and coaching staff.

If he is judged to be positively contributing to the team winning and winning regularly, then he is proving to be successful.

If his play is producing goals, or providing goals, then THAT is what he is judged on.

20. scootz

A decent forward at Celtic (particularly in this era... and particularly an established Celtic forward) should be knocking the goals in. He isn't. I'd punt and replace at the earliest opportunity..