1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Realistic expectations for season 13/14

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 27, 2013.

Discuss Realistic expectations for season 13/14 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. scomur1888

Champions league group stages for Celtic and I'd be delighted.

Surely we can keep hooper and wanyama till the last day in August?thats when the transfer window shuts.

The final playoff game,2nd leg is 27th or something so providing we get to the playoff round if we have a full team we will have a great chance of getting the groups,failing that we sell?

2. Wanyama67

You asked for "realistic" that's as realistic as it gets with the Celtic board.

3. StibyBhoy

Agree 100%, Hooper is gone, I remember saying the same when I saw Petrov after a league win, his was more obvious though.

4. AD1967

Fav Celtic Song:
    love a good walk on
    I'd like to see the likes of Watt, McGeouch and Rogic break into the first team and have a reasonable number of starts, even if they are against lesser teams or cup ties. I'd like to think Forster would be here, Wanyama is a maybe but I reckon Hooper is for the off, which is fair enough.

Domestic double is a must, hopefully we've learnt from out mistakes this year and can go one further to secure the treble, but that would be a bonus and not a realistic expectation.

CL groups, I think finishing 4th would be unacceptable in all honesty. Another last 16 tie would be really fantastic, but I'd be happy with 3rd place and a solid run in the EL.

5. PaddyJamieson

Double and CL group stages for me. Keeping hold of the most important players would be huge, but realistically I don't see it happening; I reckon Hooper will be off. So aye, a few signings that improve the needed positions (CB, LW, CF), double and the CL group stages.

6. Mr. Slippyfist

Yer * :smiley-laughing002::smiley-laughing002::smiley-laughing002::smiley-laughing002::rolleyes:

7. Sween

I think the primary objectives should be the title and the group stages. Anything past the group stage will always be a bonus.

Domestically I think the treble is certainly possible so I would say that is also a fair target. But the league then champions league are the most important things by far.

8. ThisIsGhod

I reckon if we keep the team together with no one going out and Lennon adding a few quality players we should be aiming for further than the group stages . This team are perfectly capable of doing that.

9. Wanyama67

The £1.5 million includes agent fees and wages.

10. Mr. Slippyfist

Did you remember to add tax and handling fees onto that as well? :icon_mrgreen:

11. champions100%

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Domestically, it starts with us retaining what's ours. Win the league and Scottish cup and then push for the treble. In terms of Europe, in my opinion it is what dictates the true success of our season. For me, what we should be aiming for is European footba after Christmas and if it's the CL then that's perfect! But first we must reach the group stages and that's the important thing :)

Hail Hail

12. Scotzbhoy

Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Domestically I think we should be aiming for the treble, I won't necessarily be overly disappointed if we don't manage it but I think I'll be more disappointed with a double than I was this season. Realistically, the league is the easiest trophy we have to win. We can afford a couple of draws and defeats here and there, whereas in the cup one freak result and it's over. If we put more focus on the cups, actually wanting to win them rather than seeing them as a bonus to the league, there's no reason we can't win the treble. In Europe, I really want to see us cement our place as a good European team. We did really well this season, we can't let that be a fluke, we need to kick on and show that we are a team of that standard. Ideally, we should be looking to make small improvements to the squad each year, looking to get better and better. It's a bit unreasonable to make the last 16 an expectation, but we certainly have it in us to do it again, and if we don't then I'd at least like an extended run in the Europa League. In terms of personnel, naturally I hope we keep our big players, but the crucial thing is that regardless of who goes, we invest the money wisely. With our scouting network, there's no reason we can't find an affordable player who's a bit better than Wanyama, for slightly more. If we sell most of our fringe players, we should reinvest that cash bringing in fewer players who will play a bigger role in the team. Ultimately, we need to be looking at constantly making small improvements to our squad.

13. caramia

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Feed the Bear
    Do the domestic Treble, CL group stages, 90 points in SPL:icon_mrgreen:

14. chipper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kelvin Wilson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Coming Home
    Jamie Lindsay will be gutted that this Lyndsay fella is getting in ahead of him. :icon_mrgreen: Would like to see either John Herron or Callum McGregor get game time ahead of Lindsay, more so McGregor who didn't look too out of place when he came on against Real Madrid.

I read a couple of weeks ago that Jackson Irvine will be too old to play in the under-20s league without being classed as one of three over aged players. He'll have to be looking at pushing his way into squads next season.

I'd hope to see Marcus Fraser get a wee run out at the end of next season as he may be back fit by then, but you can never be too sure with that sort of injury. No doubt he has a big future if he can regain his fitness and form.

Atajic and George speak for themselves, two of our most gifted players it has to be said. If I remember correctly, George was one of the last boys that Tommy brought to the club - it'll be nice for everyone to see what Tommy saw in him.

15. Celtic abu

Europe - 2nd or 3rd place and maybe a Europa League QF if we drop out of the CL

Domestic - Treble. Difficult to achieve but we really should be able to do. I want better football on display for the majority of the season. Far too often this season, the football was dire to watch. I want us to * pummel everything put in front of us

Players - Get Wanyama signed to a long term deal or sell him. Give the Gary Hooper the contract he wants as well. I think Hooper wants to stay. Add Johnny Russell, another striker and cover for Izzaguire and I`ll be happy enough if we keep everyone else. Give McGeouch and Watt a lot more playing time

Coaching staff - Hopefully we`ll get our answer in the next few days. Would love Lenny and his team to stay but we`ll see

16. Mr. Slippyfist

[​IMG]

:56::56:

Personally, I think Lindsay :)bbpd:) is gonna be the next big thing coming out of the academy behind Paul George.

Marcus Fraser reminds me a wee bit of Kelvin Wilson - he could do fantastically by being mentored by the big Englishman, as well as Mjallby.

17. Celticbhoy17

Never knew you played man, are you paddy mccourt in disguise or something?

18. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Can't cover all the different permutations, but this should give some idea of how I would feel:

Fail to win league = fail and sack for management team (don't see it happening, though).

League title only = poor season but will stick by Lenny as the job he did this season has earned him a bit of slack.

League title + CL group stages (4th) = acceptable (realistically) but slightly disappointing season

Double + CL group stages (4th) = OK season.

Double + CL group stages (3rd) or treble + CL group stages (4th) = good season

Double + last 16 or treble + CL group stages (3rd) = great season (like this one).

Treble + last 16 or treble + CL group stages (3rd) with extended Europa run = dream season

Treble + CL group stages (3rd) + win Europa or treble + CL quarter finals = want to have Lenny's babies season. Very, very unlikely, but not impossible.

Anything better then that I think is impossible.

In terms of realistic expectations I expect a good season, hope for a great one, but will not complain about an OK one (see above for definitions). I think the good season is most likely, with the probabilities falling as you get much better or worse than that.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2013
  19. Mr. Slippyfist

:56::56::56::52:

Celtic Boys Affiliate F.C.B.G.T.A

Best full back on the ash pitch, thank you very much!

:bbpd:

20. Hughesie

Domestic treble and to overcome some of europes elite just to emphasize that celtic are capable of beating the so called big guns. Some more of them barca games would be nice