1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Student population

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Markybhoy, Mar 4, 2013.

Discuss Student population in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Seán_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Fair enough thought. But I would come back to my own romantic/idiotic view of University as not just this factory for producing a workforce. It's about education first and foremost and that's what most of the Humanities do better than other courses. It all depends on the person themselves and what drives them, material incentives or educational incentives. For most the key would be to do something which strikes a balance. Unless of course it is purely the money then you should do something like Accountancy even if it makes you want to top yourself :smiley-laughing002:. I would also like to highlight the difference between "doing something in your own time" and actually studying it. It is a massive difference; one is a hobby on which most (if not all) people will get only an aesthetic enjoyment from reading the topics, whereas the second usually has to entail some deeper level of understanding and critical analysis. Might not seem much difference but, especially in the Humanities, it is massive.

2. Lecs

I wasn't having a go mate. That may have came across a bit harsh. I just mean, personally my goal is to graduate, get myself a job, get a down payment on a house and hopefully live quite comfortably. It isn't all about money, as long as I am not worrying and losing sleep over having enough to pay for the roof over my head and so forth. I know a guy who's parents paid for him to go to uni for 5 years to study history and the costs of him studying and living there (Went to the US) were over 180 thousand dollars. He struggled to get a job, couldn't in fact because the best opportunity job wise would likely be as a teacher, but there are a shitload of teachers wanting few jobs. I also had a history teacher who, was 36 and she was still paying 400 dollars a month on her UPEN degree. It is different in Scotland because it doesn't cost a fraction of that to be a student, but I want to hit the ground running in terms of my career. It is a tough one though, I just hope the economy gets better.

3. Seán_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    It didn't at all mate, don't worry. As I said, that is no less a valid reason for going to Uni. It's just my take on it is all.:50:

4. Lecs

Definitely. And it is good that people can go to uni etc for a broad range of subjects. You can literally study anything these days, which is great because anything to broaden the mind will do you the world of good.

5. ORIGINALS

When it comes to students, aberdeen is * city. Full of trendy students that go into starbucks with their macs out for evryone to see and put on a fake accent to make themselves seem posher than what they actually are.

6. Seán_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    There's a lot of them in Glasgow as well. I assume most Uni's have them.

7. GAA_Celtic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    No
    Its one of the reasons I will never buy anything apple

8. Lecs

Don't get me started on Apple :smiley-laughing002: Money grabbing *.

9. 703Bhoy

I am planning on going back to school sometime next year for my masters. Looking to go either a Masters in Geographic Information Systems or International Relations.

10. CFC_67_88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fraser Forster
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Victor Wanyama
    Doing myGCSEs this summer and to be honest just cant be * this new system fo modules and controlled assesmnets mean that I've been working flat out for the past year and a half and still have to do big exams at the end of it I would have love to just have had one big exam at the end of the year

11. Diegan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    The cost is only a bad thing when paired with the * attitude of most students, and it's worse in my major generally. I studied anthropology, and it always amazed me at how nonchalantly people took it. Pretty much the only thing it's good for is preparing you to do research in the hopes of getting into a law school or something, but you need the best grades and test scores in order to do that. Really, if you get top grades (which isn't too hard in the humanities), then there are actually pretty big doors for you as writing skills and research skills have become awful in recent years.

12. CFC_67_88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fraser Forster
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Victor Wanyama
    No you have to us our special connecter!

13. tinyheadbhoy

First off I'm a student, but i would like to point out that I hate students. Not all students but certainly the lazy ones who never work when they are at university or get of their arses and get a job when they are at home during the summer.

There is most definitely too many people being sent to uni these days, there are a few of my mates who are only in a few days a week and they are supposed to be studying a full time degree!

If everyone stopped going to university and studying diddy courses perhaps a degree would mean something again. As it is I'm studying engineering and am fairly confident that if I continue to work hard I will get a job once I finish my degree.

14. Seán_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I'm the exact opposite. Continuous assessment and coursework - thought not necessarily at GCSE level - are infinitely more reflective of a student's ability than an exam. We in this part of the world - Scotland, Ireland, Wales and England - seem to place too much emphasis on that one exam date. Any Canadian or American lecturers I've had get frustrated with it as it places less weight on quality and more on quantity. I had one who eventually pushed through a module in History which was 100% coursework. While there was a * of a lot of it I felt it was one of the best modules I'd taken at Uni. It also facilitates less time-wasting during the actual classes, as people (myself included) tend to do a lot less during term knowing the exam at the end of it is what actually gets you the mark.

15. 703Bhoy

What I notice here in the US students who go to Community College to get an Associates are the biggest ungrateful * in the planet. A few years ago I was at my local CC for Summer School and most of the kids were either flat out dumb or biggest piles of scum on the earth. One kid thought I traveled 6 hours back and forth to take the class. Also majority of the kids got kicked out of Uni for grades. Trust me a Community College is an extension of high school.

16. Diegan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Some of those dumbasses turn it around. The CC system is the most important block in education in the country for me. I've also met many young and poor kids who can't afford to take 4 years of uni, so they do the 2+2 scheme.

17. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

I was in Glasgow City centre last week and their were quite alot coming from their Uni's. Teacher was the worng word though. There are some that remind me of teachers though.

as i said above, Teacher was the wrong word. Some of them look more teacherish than others, alot of the type im talking dress something like...

[​IMG]

18. 703Bhoy

It is but where I am at it is taken like a joke and most of the kids end up dropping out of that too.

19. GAA_Celtic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    No
    Slagging apple was one of my first arguments on here and it was TimFloyd if I remember correctly.

20. Diegan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Well even here it kind of is, truth be told. I just want to separate the institution (which I love) from the students (most of whom I hate, as you do too apparently). :50: