1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Giorgos Giakoumakis

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by The Thumb, Aug 31, 2021.

Discuss Giorgos Giakoumakis in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    If Atlanta only want a loan I'd day * em unless there is a decent fee and they cover all his wages. Red Diamonds are in the Champions League final in April/May and there window is open for another 2 months, wouldn't be surprised if he goes there once Oh has settled in.

My guess is a new agent promised him a good transfer this window and GG bought into it. If he'd finished this season on double figures I think he still could have got a reasonable move but even then it's limited. He's 28 and only had 3 seasons where he has hit double figures. Should have known better. Usually top scorers in Eredivisie go for 10m plus, but they are usually younger than him

2. JamesM09

I’m really surprised no European club is coming in for him with a decent package.

I understand we probably want to sell and he is probably on low wages, but I suspect the reason this is so difficult is a bad choice of agent.

3. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    To my mind he is going to the USA for regular game time and better money at age 28. Not aware for how long he has signed.

Career wise I think he is looking at the Euro Nations cup games coming up with the Greek national team. He will use that as international exposure on the European stage to show his talents and attract interest from other clubs.

4. horseshoe

When we signed him the choice was between us and a freshly relegated werder bremen, yes he's done well since he arrived but he's hardly had a glittering career overall, think he or his agent have been daft if they think bigger/richer teams than us are going to be kicking the door down to get him.

5. TheHappyLoss

Seems to be a story going round that he had a rethink and wanted to stay but Ange said no. Don’t know if already mentioned.

6. AussieGreek

Yeah, first said by a completely random nobody Twitter account and now spreading like wildfire.

7. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Was Lisbon Lions Yogi Hughes son I believe

AussieGreek and TheHappyLoss like this.
  8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Here’s the tweet from a random account

AussieGreek likes this.
  9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Giorgios Giakoumakis is headed to Major League Soccer. Atlanta United stand as the frontrunners to sign the Celtic striker, edging out former favorites Urawa Red Diamonds.

Sources close to 90min can confirm the deal is imminent, as both sides finalize the details.

The striker will serve as a replacement for Atlanta United legend Josef Martinez, who joined Eastern Conference opponents Inter Miami last week. He could join as a Designated Player, as Atlanta United currently occupy just two of the allotted three roster slots.

The Greek would add experience to the young roster, after having featured in UEFA Champions League and Europa League campaigns. Giakoumakis first kicked off with AEK Athens in 2017, before seeing stints at OFI, Gornik Zabrze, VVV-Venlo, and most recently, Celtic.

He became an integral part of the Scottish Premiership club after signing in 2021. Giakoumakis has managed 26 goals in 40 appearances for Celtic, inspiring them to the 2021/22 league title.

Atlanta needs the reinforcement, suffering throughout the 2022 Major League Soccer campaign before concluding in 11th place on the Eastern Conference table to miss out on playoffs. The roster was plagued by injuries and lacked the necessary depth to cope with the absences.

But key players will return in 2023, with the most prominent figure Miles Robinson back to defend. With a strong backline, and Giakoumakis in the forefront, head coach Gonzalo Pineda may just have enough to get Atlanta United back to its championship-winning ways.

The team kicks off the 2023 campaign on February 25 when hosting the San Jose Earthquakes at the Mercedes-Benz Stadium.

tarboltontim likes this.
  10. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Don’t think media have a clue with this one, they had him going for a medical in Japan last week.

If we don’t get another striker in would definitely keep him until the summer, Oh will take a while to get his fitness up.

11. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    I feel Giakoumakis is a restless soul by nature. Was reading his bio and he is of Romani background, much like the background of Travellers in Ireland and Britain.

12. SwissCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady, Artur Boruc
    :56:I must be a Romani or a Travaller then as well. Ah, no, only Swiss farmers as ancestors who stayed their whole life in their * county. A bit too much speculation this. I've seen enough journeymen who had no such ancestry.

martin_d and Liam Scales like this.
  13. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Many Romani Christian Orthodox in Greece and in the Balkans. Similar to Spanish Catholic Gypsies/Romani in Spain.

14. blackfish Screaming from beneath the waves...

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I think he is of Huffy Bastardy extraction and, as someone pointed out to me earlier in this thread, he has a * for an agent.

Said * has filled his head with nonsense and they’ve totally made an * of this.

Atlanta FFS!

Career ending pish.

James Mc, johnboy19, Skelleto and 4 others like this.
  15. jvalin

Agreed that it's more likely he has a wandering spirit due to his Romani background. For centuries, the Romani people were nomads. Unfortunately, they don't live a nomadic life anymore cause ethnic states are trying to assimilate them. That said, nobody is born with a wandering spirit. Character traits are shaped by upbringing. Claiming that a specific ethnic group is restless by nature is a slippery slope that could easily result in racism.

16. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Scots traditionally noted for being tight with their money a national character trait ?

17. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    :43: is this your attempt at racism @George Theodorou?

If so, can you let me know what race you are so I can join in please? :50:

18. donnegal celt

It’s only take Kyogo to get bad injury and selling him turn into a nightmare. For money that on offer. We should be keeping him til summer time and we still get * 3/4 million for him.

19. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good

Not racist mate, its not in my DNA. I live in a multicultural society,my two best friends are an Italian-Australian and a Malaysian Sikh and my wife is Mauritian.

However everyone makes observations on human behaviour.

20. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    What an absolute * of a thing to say.