1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Giorgos Giakoumakis

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by The Thumb, Aug 31, 2021.

Discuss Giorgos Giakoumakis in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    As answered above, Kyogo was below par earlier in the season yet was still starting every game. That's where it started to unravel imo.

Sgt Neppers* and The_Bhoy like this.
  2. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    But you don’t play kyogo through that drop in form and we don’t get the Kyogo now, it’s a hard one

Double Dutch likes this.
  3. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
  4. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Kyogo was still scoring goals then though

5. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Wouldn't be surprised if we agreed to loaning just to get rid. I thought Atlanta had a lot of money behind them though

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Giorgos Giakoumakis will continue his career in MLS and Atlanta, except for a shocking prospect.

According to exclusive information from SDNA, the Celtic ace has found everything with the American club.

The former top scorer of the Eredivisie from the beginning saw the proposal of Atalanta with a good eye.

Celtic may have found everything with Urava Red Diamonds for the 28-year-old striker, but the Greek international ace has not agreed to a move to Japan.

Now all that remains is for the Scottish team to agree with the Americans to formalize the deal, which is expected to happen in the next few days!

7. oh bhoy

cool story atlanta do one

8. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

If him and his agent thought they would get much better offers, they're mental. He's 28 and only really had two prolific seasons in his career - both in fairly poor leagues. Also, only been capped 11 times for a pretty * national team.

Not sure what offers they thought they would get.

9. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    The fact that we got him for £2.5m and the only other club in for him was a Bundesliga2 team, they should have known better. His agent has * it.

Will be a lesson for the rest of the squad, make sure you want to leave and make sure you will have decent interest because once you say your leaving, you are gone.

AussieGreek and NomDePlum like this.
  10. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Look at it from a logical point of view. Giakoumakis would be * off, as anyone would be.

He is thinking to himself, I am brought on in most games with 20 minutes left to go and most times I score, and critical goals at that. So if I had more playing time I would score more goals. I could average a minimum of two goals a game playing for Celtic. It would raise my profile and get me an even better contract extention and salary.

Instead I am warming the bench each week and Kyogo is first choice.

Ange spent more on the Kyogo transfer, and the lad is a better footballer than GG in terms of how Ange wants the team to play.

I also think that GG has a personality that may be testing at times in regards to what he wants.

Anyway, I wish him well. I would have wanted him to stay at Celtic because he may have missed some sitters in the past but he has also scored many cracking and important goals for us.

The truth is that footballers want to play regular football. Nothing more frustrating than watching your mates play and you want to as well but are not chosen to play.

Double Dutch likes this.
  11. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Atlanta United FC is the better choice in my opinion. Hoping the contract is for good terms and not short term.

Giakoumakis can continue his football in a warmer climate, speaking English, closer to Greek-American fans who will be thrilled to watch him play. The club has a more Latino way of playing football and the club vice president is of Greek background, Dimitrios Efstathiou.

connerm57 likes this.
  12. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    That's his agent talking there. No way should the deal hinge on Giakoumakis's demands being met and going on loan as opposed to the clubs agreeing a fee and getting a transfer done given he's under an extended contract.

I like Giakoumakis but sounding like he and his agent have * the whole thing up for him. If this goes the wrong way I can see him training with the development squad until the summer and then getting sold at the summer without playing another game for us.

Taz and craigtheceltic like this.
  13. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    It might be a better choice for GG, but it may not be for Celtic. If they aren’t willing to pay a fee, then Celtic are well within their rights to tell them to do one. GG could be training on his own if he’s not careful.

NomDePlum likes this.
  14. FairDinkumMate

He’s stuffed his career in Europe with this move at 28. He was a Kyogo injury away from possibly playing in CL next season. A * game or two in that and he would have clubs chasing

15. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

He really must hate it here sounds like he’s gagging to get to *. Hopefully we can get rid soon if that’s the case, be a nightmare for both us and him if we can’t as he won’t get a minute with Oh being 2nd choice.

16. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    Never been a huge fan and really wish he would just hurry up and * off now.
    If he thinks the MLS and Atlanta Utd is a step up and a good career move then he’s lost the plot.

17. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

It’s a shame how this has played out really.

I think the big man is class and he’s shown attributes that we’ve needed for years, but if he’s not happy then it’s time to move on I suppose.

18. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman
    It'll be sad to see him go. He's a good option. That type of striker is not one we've came by easy in recent years. He's the big, powerful type that can hold the ball up and his goal return is excellent for his game time. I think we might regret letting him go. But hey ho you cant please all of the people all of the time and sometimes players just need to move on.

FrankMcCallum and NomDePlum like this.
  19. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    I wish him good luck and i do like him, but he is one of those players, like Gary Hooper who will come out and say that they regret their choice of leaving.

20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He couldn't handle the limelight whatsoever. He instantly crumbled under it from what I was told..

It was definitely for the best that we parted ways so quickly. Everything seemed to run smoothly after as a result..

JamesM09 likes this.