1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Everything Celtic boss Ange Postecoglou had to say in his after his side's penalty shootout defeat to Everton.

Was it disappointing to lose the Sydney Cup?

No. I wouldn't say it was disappointing. I was disappointed there weren't any goals for the fans but the performance was decent and I thought we dominated the game. We were just missing a goal and we missed some great chances and their keeper pulled off some good saves. I think that was much more like us in terms of our general play and laying out football. I was just disappointed there weren't any goals for the supporters, but in terms of our performance, I was happy.

It was a very competitive fixture, wasn't it?

It was decent. Both teams played last week and they are not out of condition. The trip can take its toll but the match was played at a decent tempo with decent intensity and we were just missing a goal in terms of our performance.

Can you take a lot of positives from dominating a team from England?

We were just more like ourselves, we were aggressive when we needed to be and we were decent when we had the ball. We were aggressive when we didn't have it and that was a lot better tonight. I think some of the boys have acclimatised now, and I could see in training and on the pitch that they were much better and more like themselves. We were just missing a goal, but overall the performance was good.

Back at the Accor Stadium, familiar surroundings do you get sentimental?

I am not really the sentimental type. We got the job done here with Australia and it was a great night. You kind of move on from those things and always look ahead. It has been great to be back home and just brilliant to see the support we have had. Not me personally, but the football club and walking the streets of Sydney and just seeing Celtic shirts everywhere is just brilliant to see. We know the enormity of the football club but the distance doesn't diminish the passion, and the supporters are just as passionate here, watching the team play.

Can you see Celtic coming back here again?

This is the third time now that the club has been here in the near/distant past. The club realises that its reach is global and in every part of the world, there are Celtic supporters. You have got to share the love around and we may go to other areas first.

2. JamesM09

I wonder what we’ll do in the summer.

I suppose the threat of having to play European qualifiers still hangs over us, which is annoying because apparently these summer tournaments can be really lucrative.

3. honda Gold Member Gold Member

It's automatic qualification this year again. Can see us in Japan tbh.

*if we win the league

JamesM09 and greengrocer like this.
  4. JamesM09

Aye that’s what I’m wondering. Would they be able to make plans and assume we’ll win the league and then if it goes * up just cancel it? For me it’s probably worth the risk

honda likes this.
  5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Ange Postecoglou would love to take Celtic to Japan for the club’s next trip abroad.

The Hoops manager has hinted that the club would be looking to take part in more tours in the near future after their successful visit to Australia this week.

The Scottish champions were knocked out of the Sydney Super Cup yesterday after a penalty shootout loss to Everton.

However, that wasn’t enough to dampen Postecoglou’s spirits, who was very happy with his side’s efforts in the friendly tournament Down Under.

Next up, Japan could be calling. Postecoglou admits he would love to take his team back to the country he’s so fond of and where he managed before joining the Parkhead side.

He said: “Absolutely. I know how big a market that is as well. That’s not me driving it, that’s Michael (Nicholson) and Chris (McKay) and the commercial and management team.

“They understand it but we have to buy into it as a football department. We have to acknowledge it helps us in the long run. Sure, it puts some extra demands and it would have been easier to give the boys an extra week off.

“This has been an important week for the football club. That’s how big clubs operate and that’s what we have to want to be.

“That's what we are, we just need to be disciplined about what we do and not get side-tracked by other things if we are to be the club we know we can be.”

Melb Bhoy likes this.
  6. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    If Ange leaves Celtic on a weekday (many years in the future hopefully) then I am 100% taking the day off work for bereavement

JML67, BigManSmalls and PaddyJamieson like this.
  7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

ANGE POSTECOGLOU is expecting to make some early additions to his squad when the transfer window reopens on New Year’s Day.

The Celtic manager has been busy in the market since moving to Glasgow in the summer of 2021, recruiting 21 players on permanent deals in that time, and he has revealed that plans are already in motion to add further reinforcements in January.

The Glasgow club announced the arrivals of Japanese trio Daizen Maeda, Reo Hatate and Yosuke Ideguchi on Hogmanay of last year and Postecoglou is hoping to conclude his business with similar alacrity this time around.

The three transfer windows the Greek-Australian has presided over thus far have been characterised by a willingness to move quickly to get deals over the line, in turn allowing him to integrate new arrivals into the squad at the earliest possible opportunity.

However, Postecoglou admits that there are occasions where Celtic are required to be a little more reactive in the market – such as when they signed Denmark Under-21 internationalist Matt O’Riley from MK Dons at the start of the year.

“It’s fair to say there’s a couple lined up,” Postecoglou said of his plans for the January window. “It’s how we’ve done things and how I believe we need to be.

“It’s how I’m built. I don’t like rushing around last minute.

“It’s not always the case. Matt O’Riley we did it in three days last year. We saw an opportunity and moved really quickly.

“We need to be agile when we need to and when we don’t, we can methodically plan to make sure we get things done.

“If we can get guys early, once January 1 hits they are already part of this football club.”

Ange Postecoglou has opened up on the footage of a passionate Australia team talk that went viral on social media last week.

The Celtic boss was pictured castigating his team over their defending and slamming his hand into the wall as he looked to deliver a strong half-time message.

The footage was taken during his four-year spell as national team manager during a World Cup Qualifying campaign by Antipodean media outlet 10 Sport.

It spread like wildfire upon being released as Celtic fans lapped up an inside look at how their popular manager leads his team.

Postecolou was keen to stress that such anger is not a regular sight in his dressing room.

When asked about the clip, he laughed: "I’m sure there will be footage of me here!

"I’m passionate about what I do and I’m not afraid to show it if need be.

"It’s not on a weekly basis, it’s kind of selected and it’s done hopefully to make an impact.

"All along I’ve just tried to be who I am and that's it."

Gazzi79 and Hammy89 like this.
  9. World Champion

At the railroad bar, about seven o'clock.
    The big man's done a very good job when you consider the absolute * he inherited, it's not his fault what has happened in Europe, the teams we've been trying to get past have one or two players that are the cost of our entire squad, all we can hope for is we get a bigger transfer budget in the future to give us a better chance, Ange's domestic record is brilliant and that's our bread and butter, Europe is a bit of a dream and a bonus under the current circumstances.

Rydo1888* and DonnyCelt like this.
  10. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Hoping he got a look at some games. The Japan showcased the limitations of a high press (can fail against 3 CB-s), so we might employ a mid block in Europe, since it's more reasonable- and which Saudi Arabia used.

11. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Think it's almost a guarantee we do a tour of Japan next year, no idea if we'll do it during the Summer or Winter break, but I think it'll happen.

Hammy89 and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Can see why the club would want to but I can’t see Ange wanting it, pre-season tours for commercial reasons that we done for a good while was always slated for no helping us actually prepare for the season. Strachan used to go mental with the American tours

13. honda Gold Member Gold Member

When such tours pay more than the entire spl prize fund, then they need to be done. If we want better players, then we need to get more funds from somewhere.

14. Samurai Bhoy

I’d * love if they did, haven’t been able to go see a Celtic game in 15 years.
    It’d be nice of them to come see me instead! :Kyogo:

15. The big Viduka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    The Ange legacy rolls on

Melbourne City coach Patrick Kisnorbo will become the first Australian to manage a side in one of Europe's top five leagues after signing with French Ligue 1 outfit ES Troyes AC.

16. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Wasn't that because we were juggling European qualifiers?

17. Couscous

I don't understand how Kisnorbo's appointment is part of Ange's legacy. He never played for or with Ange; never worked with him.

18. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Because we were flying out in a packed schedule, dealing with different time zones, flights etc. when Strachan just wanted us to be able to focus on getting fit.

He wasn’t the only one, it’s why we eventually stopped that sort of bullshit

19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    No they don’t ‘need to be done’ because that’s the reason we haven’t been doing them for a long time in pre-season, and focused on getting the team fit rather than money chasing exercises that don’t help prepare for winning silverware in the year ahead

20. Samurai Bhoy

I don’t think it’s a problem doing these long distance tours, if we don’t have to navigate the euro qualifiers.

Most big European teams do it.
    Chelsea, PSG, Barca, Real and I think a few more have been in Japan in recent years.

There are some quality J-League teams to get a good run out against too, so it’s good experience for the team to play against highly technical and high pressing teams.

Plus, the financial boost would be huge too, of course.
    With 5 Japanese players in the squad, who are all highly regarded in Japan, it’ll be a massive boost for our popularity here.
    Dazn have now even started to show SPL matches this season, where they’ve never done before.

So much to be made in TV deals and merchandise!

Rydo1888* and Melb Bhoy like this.