1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    The fear for me is for how long will be continually pedal the "but we are creating chances" line.

It's already becoming the excuse.

You can't blame him for players missing chance after chance but aside from that, we are still way too open for this level. Even if we do take some of these chances, we don't look like keeping a clean sheet in Europe. That was like a game of basketball at times last night.

How many times did they get in or around our box with ease...the midfield still a huge issue and the lack of physicality and pace (which btw many of us bemoaned throughout the summer and said needed addressed) is still evident. I said it numerous times during the summer window, we won't beat teams at this level by going toe to toe technically, a good % of the time. Its just how it is and tbh its about time some people faced upto that. We need to be able to mix it up and right now we can't due to the options available. Giakoumakis OK missed a chance or two but their defence instantly looked less comfortable against him than Kyogo. Why? Cos continental sides hate physicality or someone in their face. We need another 2 or 3 players of GG's style.

I fear that next season we will be back saying the same thing. The players do need to shoulder blame here though, the stats make for embarrassingly poor reading. Laughing stock of Europe again.

I dunno what the answer is at this point. Incredibly deflated.

Another scary reality is that this is the BEST group draw we have had in years. Arguably ever tbh compared to what we are used to. I give up.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
  2. Lewis Kerr

Its the hope that kills you. Once you resign to the fact that we'll do a square root of * all in Europe you'll be slightly less disappointed.

We haven't competed in Europe for 10 years and even then we were very, very lucky. It's been 15 (!!!) years since we legitimately competed in Europe.

NakamuraTastic and martin_d like this.
  3. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Totally agree

Kyogo gave them nothing to worry about and we all knew that would be the case before the game. Someone like Solbakken at RW would of been class and he wouldn’t of cost much AND he was match fit.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  4. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

He’s not coaching them to rush their chances, let’s not be stupid about it.

5. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

You sound like Kris Boyd.

6. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    There’s only been one game in the CL groups this year where I feel as though we should’ve gotten more than we did, and that was Shakhtar away. For all the plaudits, Madrid and Leipzig on both occasions have been good value for their wins, and tactically out-thought us.

This was always going to be the big challenge for Angeball. It’s all well and good running rings around teams with a fraction of your budget, but this campaign has been a massive letdown imo. We don’t look nearly as well drilled as I thought we were and it’s been ruthlessly exploited by teams with more ability.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  7. Forestbhoy66 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Are we the new Leeds?

8. john2061

When we had Sutton and hartson and the big defenders we had at the back like Balde and majelby we got to the final Of the UEFA cup and think we need more big physical players .

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  9. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Definitely got a lot to do with it. Most of the top teams in Europe have players who are absolute tanks but athletes into the bargain

10. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    I think he will struggle in europe being so attacking focused, but i would not change tactics because of that. We leave huge gaps in the midfield when we chase around like crazy. To be successful in europe being so attacking minded you need some ridiculous talent in the squad. I am confident that we would be strong in the europe league though.

We are not ready for CL yet imo.

11. G40B

It was ultimately the subs that killed us.

Mooy and Turnbull are game killers, and not in the good way - it happens in the SPL, so of course will also happen in Europe.

Maybe it would’ve been a different story had McGregor been playing, and it was Haksa coming on with one of Mooy or Turnbull rather than both the slow, ponderous, and immobile pair.

12. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Even if we do take some of these big chances we are still concede too many which means we still don’t win probably. Needs to realise that you need different ways of playing especially at the highest level when you have a squad put together with £20m odd. It’s ok saying Man City don’t change the way they play but they have top players that can do it against anybody we don’t that’s the difference.

We are heading in the right direction but need to tweak a few things and change it up when we are playing against better sides.

Tired of saying it but get that triple sub to *. How can he not see no one I else continuously does that every game. Killed us and at that moment I’m sure everyone knew we weren’t going to win that game. Was 0-0 at that point too.

13. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Ange wants to win with style, championing modern football that involves a high press, and maximum creativity. He’s dead set on it. With players he picked and truly believed in. Burning desire. Reality check.
    Those players can’t finish, or run as much as he wants for 90 minutes, or tackle well.

I had fantasized about working on the Pokemon project in Japan, as part of a team that translates attacks, Pokemon names, character names etc. I am really good at languages (I speak 6 foreign ones, and have certificates). I speak Japanese, at least a low intermediate level. I love Pokemon. Reality check. I have a big physical disability. Depression/anxiety on top of that. Never lived separately from my mom, since I need her to cook lunch for me etc. I also don’t do well at writing and reading Kanji. Japanese society might be polite, streets safe, and people fair, but would I make it? Most likely not.
    So, I’m working at a court in my city, having passed my judicial branch examination last year. Pay is great, and people are decent. I’m making mom proud. Depression is mostly under control.

Moral of the story: set realistic goals.

rkid and Samsquanch like this.
  14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Defiant Celtic boss Ange Postecoglou vows to stick to guns and gives injury update on Jota and Liel Abada
    Celtic manager Ange Postecoglou struck a defiant tone as his side tumbled out of Champions League contention following their 2-0 home loss to RB Leipzig.

And he maintained that despite the haul of a single point from four sobering Group A encounters he was “more encouraged than discouraged” that his team were making inroads to proving competitive at the highest level of club football.

In truth, it wasn’t Celtic’s openness that cost them against the Germans but a familiar failing of coming up short in front of goal. A feature he alighted on in stressing it would be foolhardy to change his approach of seeking to take the game to opponents – as they have to meagre effect in going down twice to Leipzig, and losing at home to Real Madrid, with their one point coming in Warsaw against Shakhtar Donetsk. Now five points adrift of the Leipzig and four shy of the Ukrainians only an unlikely series of outcomes will allow them to remain in Europe post-Christmas, but that did not alter the message communicated by the Celtic manager with Donetsk to be hosted in a fortnight before a group-concluder in Madrid.

It’s about holding our nerve and not falling into the trap of thinking it’s not working. I believe it is not far away from working,” Postecoglou said. “I think the worst thing you can do is now shy away from doing what we are doing because we haven’t had success immediately at this level. My sort of theory on this stuff is that you just have to keep persevering and heading down this road.

“If we were getting outplayed and not creating chances we would need a different mindset but I think we are very close to becoming a really good team at this level. Our process can’t be fast-tracked just because I want it to happen. We still have to take the steps and the players have got to go through the experiences.

We have got to keep going. Irrespective of whether we can continue on we have two more Champions League games and we want to keep using as a platform to improve as a football team, to improve our players. And while they have exposure at this level, I think the better equipped we will be moving forward.

“That is why we are doing what we are doing and I am doing what I am doing. There is a gap there that we are never going to be able to close in terms of becoming one of these bigger clubs but we can chip away at it. That’s my theory on it. Every time you go out there you get a little bit closer. I feel we are doing that. The results won’t show that but from the way I look at football and what we are trying to do as a club I think we are on the right road.”

Meanwhile, Postecoglou revealed that Jota could remain sidelined for the weekend after missing out against Marco Rose’s side, though the problem that forced Liel Abada off does not appear to be a concern.

"Jota is still a bit sore today,” the Celtic manager said. “He needs a bit of investigation. It’s nothing serious. It may still keep him out of the weekend but we will see how it goes. [With Abada]. “II think it’s nothing too serious. A dead leg, muscle injury. We have an extra day to recover before Saturday so he may still be involved.”

15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
  16. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    Solbakken's contact expires in December and it's rumoured he's agreed terms to move to Roma. He's also been linked with Napoli. No chance we were getting him, although I agree he would have been great.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  17. oh bhoy

it wouldnt take much of a tweak to the system we play to make us more solid without losing all the attacking intent . its hard to judge a system ,any system when 2 of your best players are out injuried your other 2 best players put in their worst performances in a celtic shirt . mcgregor,jota,kyogo and hatate are huge players for us and players missing or out of form it was gonna be a struggle .the strength and depth just aint there with every sub we made last night we looked less and less likely of getting something .what is clear is we need a right winger and a top striker

18. James Gold Member Gold Member

I hate that pish the fact is we were scudded 5-1 across 2 legs and Leipzig for the most part were comfortable. Give me the stats in the Barca game and win any day

Skelleto and paulo123 like this.
  19. murphy88

It’s almost like some people think we should just be grateful we aren’t as * as were during the 90s, so being cuffed at home to Leipzig should be acceptable. It’s absolute drivel.

20. murphy88

In the first three game, I could take hope that we definitely did compete far better. Last night was a step backwards though. People can throw all sorts of stats about, but the reality is, we are bottom of the group on 1 point after 4 games, and need close to a miracle to finish 3rd, which isn’t going to happen. A group that has a team sitting mid table in Germany thay have sacked their manager recently whilst in turmoil, and a team that has lost a host of first team players and aren’t even playing at their home stadium.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.