1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Maestro 08

Regards the lack of goals. I think it's simpler than that. I don't think we have a composed natural finisher. Abada and Maeda are extremely hit and miss with questionable technique. Kyogi is prone to missing a few before he'll score and our most natural poacher type Giakoumakis is fond of a few howlers as well. Our best most composed finisher is probably Turnbull.

They all bring good work rate etc but it's probably at the expense of that clinical finishing.

2. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Aye mate, was in for about a third of Kyogo’s time and had 3 chances to Kyogo’s 1 off my head..

This isn't a Kyogo bashing. I love him and take in to account tired leg's when Jackie and the other 2 came on but I agree, it should be the big man in right now for me..

I put Jackie in my starting lineup in the match thread and have done again for Dingwall :50:

3. Mr Cleansheets

I guess Ange hopes he can turn Kyogo or GG into a ruthless finisher.

Neither are that far off, just need that ruthless consistency.

4. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Jacko is 100% a ruthless finisher, his issue is he tries too hard. That’s where his dry spells stem from.

Kyogo’s is that he’s not a natural finisher despite possessing superb vision and technique. Be difficult to train out his unselfishness.

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Ange Postecoglou has pulled Reo Hatate out of the firing line because he has now assembled a Celtic squad where he no longer has to take risks with any of his top stars.

Hatate is feeling the pain of a bruising opening day win over Aberdeen and the Hoops boss has left him out of today’s trip to take on Ross County. The Japanese star has been a standout but Postecoglou reckons he now has strong options right across his squad and it is about keeping them all fresh and well for the upcoming domestic and Champions League challenges.

Postecoglou confirmed: “It’s all good, apart from Reo. He got a couple of knocks last week and a bit of a muscle strain so we held him back this week for a bit of rehab. There were a couple of hard tackles and some clashes didn’t come out of too well. He will miss this game but everyone else is okay.

“We have the luxury of having the squad now that means we don’t need to risk players or push players too much. We have no midweek games right now so we can give them the rehab, be conservative with them and get them right.”

It is the same with Carl Starfelt. He has been training all week but Postecoglou has central defensive options and doesn’t need to rush the Swedish international back. The Celtic boss stated: “Carl is back training and did the full week, but he’s obviously missed a fair bit.

“It’s just about getting him a game now but that will happen over the next two to three weeks. We will get him game-time and get him up to speed, but we have depth and there is no need to rush him back”

Postecoglou admitted that too much was asked of some of his players last season. That was something he was keen to address in this transfer window. He admitted David Turnbull, who could replace Hatate today, was one of the main victims.

The Celtic boss, who wants his side to show a more ruthless streak at Ross County, confirmed: “I think he will have a strong year this season but he won’t play 50 games, Matt O’Riley won’t play 50 games - none of them will play 50 games.

“The whole idea in the way of setting things up this year, particularly in midfield, is that we have depth. That is so we can make sure that guys don’t get overburdened.

“The problem with David last year is that he played every game in the first half of the year and he ended up getting injured. The way we play is quite intense and it takes its toll physically, and mentally.

“So I don’t have a first XI, I don’t have a set midfield three and then another one. What I do have is players who can play in those areas and I want to get the maximum out of all of them. The only way I can do that is by keeping them fresh for when they are needed.”

Postecoglou admitted there is still room for further transfer movement in and out. He claimed: “There is nothing concrete going on right now.

“While the window is still open, we are still active - in terms of getting players opportunities elsewhere and seeing what is out there to bring in. We certainly aren’t closed up for business, but there is nothing concrete yet.”

Winger Mikey Johnston is still training with Celtic, despite interest from Standard Liege, although Postecoglou admitted that situation could change.

He also shut down talk of midfielder James McCarthy leaving. Postecoglou said: “Not on my radar, mate. I’m dealing with what’s in front of me.

"Macca is still training with us. He is part of the squad. So in terms of what is happening beyond that it’s not on my radar.”

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

8. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I love this man.

Montero likes this.
  9. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Good subs.

Never panics.

10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Loads will drop point's to them by the way..

Was a hard game. Personally don't think we were great and didn't enjoy it.....but as mentioned....he's never flustered.

Made the changes and we got it do e comfortably in the end. I was worried..

11. Rydo1888* Moderator Moderator Gold Member

A calm head

This is his club :ynwacelti

P.s love the new jumper ange

bagforlife likes this.
  12. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    He never panics..........................................................but we do ! :56:

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

14. Rydo1888* Moderator Moderator Gold Member

It's the celtic way

The Prof likes this.
  15. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I think today's game highlights the need for another attacker. Preferably another winger to rotate on the right.

16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    M9 enough leg's in the middle either. Hatate out and it's pedestrian..

HTG likes this.
  17. jambo_cfc

Needs to realise that jota is better on the left and Abada is a better goal scorer and crosser than maeda , maeda might be a better choice in Europe but certainly league duty Abada must play

18. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    This has been evident for a while and a big reason why we still need that energetic CM with a defensive side.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  19. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I'd kill to have 2012 Wanyama back, guy could do everything.

Creativecelt likes this.
  20. Montero Gold Member Gold Member

I text my Dad during the game about Anges new jumper :56: its a belter haha

Rydo1888* likes this.