1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic joining a bigger league

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by jake10, Aug 6, 2022.

Discuss Celtic joining a bigger league in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    Just read this in the mail, I could see this succeeding

EXCLUSIVE: Bosman mark II! New court case may dramatically free Old Firm giants Celtic and Rangers and present them with the chance to leave SPFL in pursuit of a bigger league
    Minnows FC Swift Hesperange have filed a lawsuit against Europe's governing body and the Luxembourg Football Federation.

If successful, it could open the door for the likes of Celtic and Rangers to boost their earning power by taking part in transnational leagues with bigger television markets.
    Backed by the club sponsors, Swift Hesperange claim UEFA's opposition to cross-border leagues has hampered their ability to join a proposed Benelux League with teams from Holland and Belgium.

The club have filed a claim with the Tribunal D'Arrondisement in Luxembourg insisting UEFA and their national FA are restricting their prospects of growth via 'rules prohibiting clubs from creating and running transnational competitions'.

In 2020, Aberdeen, Celtic, Hibs, Hearts and Rangers were informed of plans for a 20-team competition featuring clubs from Scotland, Sweden, Denmark, Norway and the Republic of Ireland. Drawn up by Andrew Doyle, co-owner of League of Ireland side Shelbourne, the blueprint had the backing of investment bank JP Morgan and projected annual broadcasting revenue of up to €400million.
    Talks ground to a halt when Celtic's major shareholder Dermot Desmond informed Doyle's SAL Sports Capital that the Parkhead club were no longer interested.

Confident that cross-border leagues are coming 'sooner rather than later', however, Dupont - the legal brain behind the Bosman ruling and a key figure in the fight between UEFA and the clubs pushing a European Super League - will ask a Luxembourg judge to refer the case to the Court of Justice of the European Union (ECJ) at a preliminary hearing this autumn.

'Swift and its sponsor, Leopard, are ambitious,' the Belgian told Sportsmail. 'The club had already complained publicly in the past regarding some FLF and UEFA rules - in particular, the homegrown players rules, that disadvantage the clubs from small countries. But their voice was not heard. They decided to make it heard in court.

'Clubs will not "move". But clubs from small countries would be entitled to produce their domestic football in a larger territory, in order to match the production power of the big leagues.'

Admitting a successful challenge could have huge repercussions for large clubs outside the big five leagues, Dupont foresees the likes of Ajax, Anderlecht, Benfica, Celtic, Copenhagen, Porto and Rangers joining transnational leagues with larger TV markets - and more money.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  2. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

I'm sure it's in the current UEFA rules that you can't have represented one nation and then go on to represent another nation in the same competition, effectively ruling us out of ever playing in England for example.

Be interesting to see how this pans out for that Luxembourg mob. Always had a soft spot for their football teams...

3. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Celtic and Rangers will only join another league if part of a cross European league, but I doubt the board of either would give up the success of winning trophies and guaranteed European football.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  4. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    A
    Aye that's the rule for players,

The UK is a strange one, we only get to compete as separate Nations due to historical reasons. We could compete in the English leagues but going back out if it would be trickier just look at Swansea and Cardiff as an example. Nationally the same applies that's one of the reasons why there's no great Britain team (other than at the 2012 Olympics and back in like 1904)

I'm in 2 minds, it would be nice to compete in a better competition but equally I like Scottish football and it's kind of shitness

GreenLeanMean and wee green dug like this.
  5. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

I was referring to a rule for clubs as well. As in Celtic can't have been a Scottish club in the CL in 2022 and then an English club in 2024 for example. So essentially moving leagues would prevent us playing in Europe and therefore be a non-starter.

Not sure how accurate that is mind.

6. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Celtic
    Huns
    Aberdeen
    Ajax
    Feyenoord
    PSV
    Benfica
    Porto
    Sporting Lisbon
    Anderlecht
    Club Brugge
    Standard Liege

Chuck in maybe Austria and Switzerland...

Some league :56:

I just can't see it especially after that super league fiasco... It would be either something like I posted or wed move south.. English don't want us and I don't particularly want them..

Every few years this raises its head and nothing ever comes of it

7. Manolito Gold Member Gold Member

If it meant generating more income for the club and putting more money in shareholder's pockets, the Celtic board would sign up tomorrow

James Mc likes this.
  8. TheHappyLoss

Would love to join another league. Scottish football bosses are corrupt, media is corrupt and officials are corrupt. We all know this so why would you stay?

9. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Will never happen unfortunately.

Noskeil likes this.
  10. StevieBhoooy!

Any club can leave their league easily enough… they just need to give notice to resign membership..

It’s joining another league elsewhere that would be the issue…

We wouldn’t stop being a Scottish club but would need to be accepted by uefa via whichever FA the new league came under.

Presumably we would not be eligible for the Scottish league cup and possibly the Scottish Cup as well if the SFA got pissy.
    (Although haven’t the spfl been inviting Welsh clubs already?)

I’ve wanted us away for some time now…. but would only want to do it independently …. not as part of some ‘package’ with the Govan filth. If we are genuinely ‘not half of anything’ then it needs to be acted on that way.

I’d love to be part of some sort of North/South European leagues setup (or west/east) with a split to two mixed leagues to sort out positions/rankings.. Hopefully still play Scottish cup so there is some home based matches.

There could be so many creative options.

Just….. without the Huns.

Wee Baldy and blackfish like this.
  11. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fair doos, I can't imagine that would be something held going forward, might be that year as in, say we qualified for 2025 and we're swapping leagues that season it might be dropped as we could not have the place from.that league that year.

None of what I said is any based fact just speculation there, will be interesting hearing what this court case comes to.

JML67 likes this.
  12. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    It's an interesting angle. Europe is supposed to be a free market and the domestic leagues 100% restrict that with regards to business. The EU have tightened up the rules on renationalisation of utilities - i.e. it has to go out to tender now. Very interesting. I'd like to get out of Scottish football as well, playing the same team 4-6 times a season is too much.

13. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    400 million annual broadcast rights …. Only reason dermot has knocked that back is if it’s spread out equally which means 20 million a piece you guaranteed the same or more playing in Scotland and Europe a year europe wouldn’t be an option moving into Atlantic league

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    This has been talked about since I was a kid, the only real opportunity was when the the EPL was rebranded. Now there is far too much money involved down there to allow us in. The smaller clubs are all fighting for scraps around the top table.

The multiple other leagues, again have been spoken about, can't see that ever happening as the costs of moving players around Europe twice a week would be eye bleedingly high. No matter how good the TV deal is over a season that would take its toll on players too.

Unless the entirety of the UK created a new formatted British league, Scotland will be our lot. We are relying on the other teams around us getting better and investing, sadly again that won't happen, as the chairmen of most SPFL clubs see bank balance before league position. One of the only leagues in the world I've heard managers saying a top 6 finish or 3rd would be good. That's the wrong attitude imo.

15. Idioteque I’ll laugh until my head comes off

Would have too much of an impact on uefa surely. They shot down the super league that was proposed last year so can’t see how it would work with a smaller nations league. Would miss champions league football

16. wulliebad

If it gets us away from the HUNS i will vote for it.

Gavmontic likes this.
  17. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    * the EPL. Soulless pish

18. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    How are Belgium and the Netherlands getting away with joining league’s?

19. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Don't think the huns would be pleased at seeing games being refereed fairly (unlike here on Scotland) as it would see hun players getting booked and/or sent off on a regular basis. It would also put an end to those penalty decisions they always seem to get when they are struggling in games. No doubt the moon howlers would see it as some sort of European Catholic conspiracy

greengrocer likes this.
  20. Graeme1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I’m not against the idea entirely but I would be sad to leave Scottish football behind in a way

GreenLeanMean likes this.