1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Lewis Kerr

Totally agree. We attack down the left side in a way that is disproportionate. I'm not a massive fan of Taylor, but he definitely gets involved more in our build up; the guy is always available for a pass. Also, Starfelt and Welsh play through the lines more in comparison to CCV. It's less noticeable when Ralston plays though, meaning that Juranovic needs to be doing more on that side as well.

I actually think we are a little too one dimensional at times. I know a main feature of Ange ball is getting it out to the wingers quickly and putting in a first time cross, but I lost count at the amount of useless crosses I saw yesterday. We have nimble, technical footballers throughout the team. There's no reason why we can't switch it up and play through the middle more.

I'd like to see us mix it up in future games. The endless crossing gets on my nerves at times, despite it being reasonably successful.

oh bhoy and George Theodorou like this.
  2. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    No sure if you were at the game or didn't watch it through sky sports but there was a ridiculous stat put up about how many crosses we'd put in yesterday. I can't remember exactly what it was during the game but it was a lot put it that way..

Another stat highlighting the play down the left to the right as well if I remember right..

I'm sure someone will have it to put up off twitter or that..

3. Lewis Kerr

Aye I saw that. It's definitely an Ange tactic, seen it in loads in the training vids as well, the quick pass out wide and the first time cross. Like I said it's definitely successful, but a little variation is required sometimes imo. Noticed it with Abada too where he gets the ball and there's about 10 yards of space for him to run into, but opts to cross it early instead. Sometimes I think dribbling into the box would work better.

4. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Great comments from Ange. During that first half we were trying to walk the ball into the net. Had Jota doing dummies in the middle of the pitch and we were only a goal up.

Need to be far more ruthless. I watched a video on YT the other day of all our goals from last season and it felt like every other game we only won by a single goal. Obviously we won't win every game by 3 or 4 goals, but it does feel like we regularly miss chance after chance and struggle to kill games off a lot earlier.

We should have been a couple of goals up at half time yesterday, but it was very nearly 1-1 with Hayes missing a bit of a sitter.

5. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Not sure the minute it came up, but it was 28 crosses to Aberdeen's 3. And that was mainly with 5'7 Kyogo leading the line.

Sgt Neppers* and McChiellini.. like this.
  6. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    True, it probably is tactical that Taylor has more freedom, possibly because of Maeda as I do remember Maeda in a left-back position 2/3 times yesterday when Taylor was caught up the park.

I do feel a part of most play going down the left, especially when we have possession at the back its near enough every single time is because CCV doesn't pass the ball forward much.

It's mental to me how often CCV can pass a ball into Kyogo and he never does as well, where I sit in the corner I get a good view of CCV on the ball and what he can see and near enough everytime he gets on the ball Kyogo is open up the middle and it's not even a risky pass to play as the gaps that wide and Kyogo will 100% get on the ball but he never passes it to him.

It may be the same from the other side but I could see why Starfelt or Welsh don't as much as they're not left footed and it's a more difficult pass. But CCV legit 30 times a game has a clear path to Kyogo when on the ball who is maybe 40 yards away and all is needed is a simple pass hit hard and low along the ground into him and he never attempts it.

If it was me i'd be telling him to pass balls into Kyogo regularly, obviously if he did it more teams would notice it and read it but to never even attempt it or only do it once every about 5 games is mental. Should be at least 4 or 5 times a game he slips the ball into Kyogo as Kyogo does really well when he gets service early and involved in the play but it rarely happens.

Again CCV never passing balls into Kyogo could be tactical, may be seen as too risky but at the games the option is wide open, I could be feeding Kyogo for fun from my seat the gaps are that big lol literally nobody in the way of CCV and him ever really but zero passes played through.

7. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Too used to playing with GG :fear:

8. Pogues

Be interesting to see what happens in the next couple of games. It looked like their right back was giving maeda lots of space, probably due to Maedas pace but possibly he was forced to tuck in due to the movement of taylor/kyogo/hatate.

On the other side jota was definitely not getting the same space. I also think jota is far more effective on the left, which might have had a bearing on it.

Nothing to worry about though, it was just the case we ripped them apart down the left, particularly first half, and should have punished them more.

9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    When I was watching Brooks, one of the reason's I wanted him in aside from being a big unit, was that he could spray long diagonals for fun. We literally don't have that to turn the game quickly..

Imagine if Carter-Vickers had it in his locker to spray 60 yard diagonals. Maeda would be in plenty as they wouldn't have the opportunity to set..

Maybe Jenz has that occasionally? Can't mind from his reel right enough but would give us something else and other's something to else to think about..

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

11. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Agree, if we can become predictable, then we can be negated - especially in Europe.

We have to keep teams guessing about what's in our locker.

12. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Good post.

13. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Also Kyogo and Turnbull play well together. Turnbull can see the Kyogo runs and gets the ball to him.

Dan Breen likes this.
  14. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Been an issue with us for years though. Rodgers side also had that problem.

I'm not gonna worry until we stop creating the chances, thats when id be concerned. The clinical edge will come, it won't be there every game that's just unrealistic though.

I thought all things considered given it was the first competitive game of the season we looked decent. We still need to add to the side though.

15. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    When we click Some team is getting smacked for 7 or 8 like the fermers last season.. no doubt

16. PaddyJamieson

We put a shed load of crosses in on Sunday but I think that says more about how dominant we were rather than us being one dimensional. We also cut through them down the middle four or five times and had we not overplayed it would easily have scored more. We also scored from a long range shot, again mixing it up. There have been games under Ange when we've relied too much on crosses and looked a bit blunt, but for me Sunday wasn't one of them. That should have been a far, far more comfortable scoreline.

17. oh bhoy

i think the number of crosses sent in only highlights how poor the crossing was ,jota and orielly put in one each where you assume somebody has to get on the end of that ,the rest seemed like putting in the box for putting it box sake ,far too easy to defend .while jacko may be better suited to scrapping for 50/50 balls if the quality was in the crosses it wouldnt matter who played up top . we lack quality in the final 3rd and we havent adressed it from last season,if anything its got worse with the departure of rogic

18. Mr Cleansheets

I noticed Kyogo was beaten to a few crosses - especially first half. That's usually his forte - nipping in ahead of his defender so they've clearly done their homework.

GG would probably be a better option early in games against some teams. (Yeah I'm nostradamus...)

Early crosses tend to be effective regardless of height, but crosses after the defense is set (like corners and frees) need a bit of height and mobility. They also need excellent delivery - which is where Mooy can be useful. He's good with the dead balls but also excellent at crossing from open play.

19. murphy88

When Giakoumakis came on, he got on the end of 2 crosses from memory. One he flicked over the bar, and one he dominated the defender to win a header that went wide. Said about it at the game that I can help but think he would have got on the end of one first half and scored. I think it really is horses for courses between him and Kyogo this season. Sunday looked like Ange picked the wrong for horse for the day. Unless Ange finds a way to get both in the same team for some games, which I definitely think we could do with some home games.

McChiellini.. and Mr Shelby like this.
  20. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Agree. O'Riley good at this also, as well as Turnbull out on the right near the line, whipping balls in accurately into the middle to Kyogo to connect with. That chested goal he scored last season is a prime example.