1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by paulie walnuts, May 27, 2022.

Discuss Obi-Wan Kenobi in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Colin Robinson Gold Member Gold Member

Disney have made a bit of a mess of everything they’ve made of Star Wars. The Mandalorian is an exception, but even that isn’t amazing. It’s good, not great.

Rogue One is the only really good production since the takeover.

Taz and JamesM09 like this.
  2. Kyogo Furuhashi Gold Member Gold Member

Thoroughly enjoyed that episode

Could tell Reva would turn her back on the dark side at some point, her back story was cool - loved the flashbacks in general

3. Graeme1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    It was another okayish episode

4. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Another duffer.

Love how Reva and Obi-Wan can have wee conversations right in front of the Stormtroopers. Just like last episode with her from GoT talking to Obi-Wan whilst she’s sat next to two officers from the Empire.

And Darth Vader just deciding not to use the force on Obi-Wan’s wee ship.

5. john2061

The series is being let down by the pish writing and a good few plot holes in the series and won't say anything about episode five incase I spoil it for anyone.

JamesM09 likes this.
  6. JamesM09

I really liked Rogue One. Criminally underrated IMO. I think it had some troubled development but if not for that it would stand alongside the original trilogy quite nicely.

They blatantly have the wrong people in charge. It baffles me they haven’t been removed after the disaster of the sequel trilogy. It’s the Star Wars equivalent of keeping Lennon in charge after that disastrous season.

Yep. These should be some of the greatest moments in the franchise but instead it’s D-grade *. It’s mental to me they’ll kill this franchise rather than remove people that clearly don’t know what they’re doing.

Graeme1888 likes this.
  7. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Honestly think you just have to enjoy it for what it is. There’s always been plot holes in Star Wars. The *, unexplainable shooting and the fact people get out of any situation unscathed. Like 50 odd Stormtroopers walking them down in the episode there. But it just is what it is, just got to enjoy it.

I don’t think it’s near The Mandalorian.

evilbunny1991 and neilly1987 like this.
  8. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman

Aye the last Jedi was pish. That bad * wearing a mask for no reason and stuff. He didnae even need a mask.....there was no horrific injuries to his face or nothing. He was Darth Vader's grandson and I think he was just copying his style with the mask. And then also he goes and gets beat off some daft lassie that doesnae even know anything about being a jedi, she's just picked up a lightsaber and started waving it about and that doesnt stand him in good stead for being a top notch bad guy cause by all accounts he should have beat her pretty easily. Its that Disney. George Lucas would never have allowed such a pish plot line

9. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    Watched the first 2 last night . Big Star Wars fan so I dont look for plot holes or anything else , I just enjoy what I'm watching .

10. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Its been pretty * truth be told. Still watch it though cos its class to see Ewan McGregor back in the role.

11. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

That’s pretty much it. It’s never been a mad mind bending concept in the movies or tv series, you just enjoy it for what it is.

Scotia likes this.
  12. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

See I don't really get that thinking. Surely by that logic, any piece of fiction gets a free pass no matter how poorly written it is because "well it's make believe anyway, so just enjoy it for what it is".

Bad writing is bad writing and there should be no excuses for it - particularly in a show that is trying to be fairly mature and serious (for Star Wars, anyway).

Wllm and JamesM09 like this.
  13. JamesM09

I think people miss the point when it comes to sci-fi. Just because there’s lasers and spaceships and things doesn’t give an excuse for poor writing or inconsistent and illogical characters.

All action movies require protagonist’s carrying exceptional luck against grunts so we can see the action sequences, but that’s very different from the problems we see in the new Star Wars stuff.

There’s clearly a vast scale in the potential quality of any story. If Jon Favreau and I both write competing Star Wars stories we’re going to be at the complete opposite ends in terms of what we produce, despite them both having stormtroopers and lightsabers.

Frankly, the newer Star Wars stuff, outside of the Mandalorian, is placed at the wrong end of the scale.

If people can enjoy them for what they are then all power too them.

For many people though, a universe and characters with enormous potential for good stories is actively being ruined by poor quality craftsmanship and it’s not the fault of the audience for enjoying it wrong.

14. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Nah not any fiction. But maybe I am guilty of giving Star Wars itself a free pass. I feel like its such a massive franchise with so many moving parts, much like Marvel and the MCU. I’m maybe blinded by nostalgia and just enjoying an Obi-Wan, Vader story in 2022.

I think I’ll have a real feeling for what I think of it after the finale, once the nostalgia is gone and I can look back on it.

A bit like the latest trilogy, I look back on it now and I’m not that fond of it. But at the time I was loving watching it.

I’ll not stand for any Mando slander though.

15. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I do agree with the part in bold and you’ll see my reply above what my own thinking probably is.

More just enjoying it in the moment before reflecting on it, rather than just blindly enjoying it with no criticism. Once it’s finished, the nostalgia is gone and I look back, I’ll have my own criticism.

16. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I get that, but tbh for me that's not even the problem. Minor plot holes don't bother me too much given the size of the universe and all the films/series' etc.

It's more like what happened in episode 4 (I think) with Obi-Wan - the most recognisable Jedi around - casually walking through the base of the enemy, hiding a child in a big overcoat like that scene from Austin Powers. And nobody noticing them.

It's proper 'scratch your head' bad.

MacEwan likes this.
  17. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I definitely overlook * like that.

On reflection or a 2nd watch, I’d find it a problem.

18. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Well put.

Said it plenty of times but I really want to love Star Wars. I'm a total geek when it comes to LotR, Harry Potter and Game of Thrones (up until season 7). But I just cannot get into Star Wars at all.

As you said, the universe has unreal potential for good stories. But pretty much everything I've seen on screen has been on a sliding scale between * and average - other than one or two films/episodes.

JamesM09 likes this.
  19. JamesM09

I seen you’re reply just after I posted. You’re doing the right thing, the main thing is just to enjoy it while you’re watching it, I totally appreciate that.

I’ve just been so frustrated with Star Wars over the last few years. So much missed potential and I finally thought after the sequel trilogy failure and the success of the Mandalorian they would finally stop this * and get it on track.

But no, they just can’t dislodge the people that are there sadly.

Taz and MacEwan like this.
  20. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Just watching the last episode, my biggest gripe is how dark the night scenes are. I can’t see a * thing.