1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

2. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Everton sacked Martinez, Koeman and Benitez. No chance they'll take shot on an unknown name in the EPL.

3. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Nowhere near up to it physically.

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  4. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    No doubt Brown was still a better player than he showed last season, but he was done as first choice for us. Happy he's finishing his career as first choice

5. JamesM09

That's a great question actually.

- I don't know if we've replaced the quality of Ajer, although there's no shame in that of course. CCV as a defender comes close enough to be honest and is probably better. Starfelt is doing well too. As a side note, Ajer would've thrived in Ange's system.

- Elyounoussi was a good player although a difficult one to fit in a system. Jota is obviously a terrific replacement although like CCV he needs to be tied down longer term.

- Kyogo is far better for us than Edouard was in the last year or so. I'd be reluctant to say he's better than Edouard was at his best but again it's close enough that we don't need to stress about it.

- Prime Brown is difficult to replace but he was really poor towards the end here. It's pretty scandalous we made no attempt to properly replace such a colossal figure in the summer. When I said this previously, I got hit with McCarthy, which was obviously ridiculous. I'd like to think Hatate's quality in the middle will bring an equivalent amount of quality to the side overall as prime Brown did, even if it's not quite the same role. It's obviously very early.

- Christie is the big one for me. I know he's the player we all love to hate but he was quality, even at the start of this season. Clearly something went very wrong with the way he was treated by the board and the way he was being instructed by Lennon. Again I'd like to think some of the new boys will replace him.

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  6. Lewis Kerr

Brown is finished. In all honesty he's been done since 2018/19.

7. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Alot of people forget Ange is on his own.

He didnt arrive here with a team of coaches, data analysists and sports scientists. The media was wanking off slippy g for basically being a * jobsworth.

And is still took him three years to win the covid cup... And * all else.

Ange has come here, been saddled with laptop larry and lennedy, has completely reinvigorated the club from top to bottom, has signed pure gems, and has every Celtic fan firmly invested in him and his vision for the club.
    And hes done it all by himself.

Build the guy a * statue.

8. s88 Gold Member Gold Member

Depends. If he were used sparingly (ie against weaker teams and not playing every week) then it could work. Problem is he'd likely be playing every week and it would be detrimental to the team. I do think Brown was largely detrimental to the flow of the team over the past few seasons due to playing near enough every game, and although its probably harsh to view him this way considering the overall situation, I reckon it would be the same now. He was being played in matches where other than being captain, his attributes weren't contributing.

9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

10. ApartPidgeon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Hold my hands up I was wrong about him. I thought at the start he needed to adapt or we would be on a hiding every game.think seems how good we played in the return leg to the Germans shows his style of play is working just needs time.

So now full backing because the footballs a joy to watch

JABA and craigtheceltic like this.
  11. Celtic Board Make my day

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mooy
    funny that......I can remember that in the early stages that Celtic supporters thought some of us (Aussies) were crazy to follow the team that Postecoglou coaches. I have watched every Celtic match live in the early hrs of the morning.
    Now you know why we follow him, he is special!

12. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    I had a moment this morning at 10am, and it let me know in some way how Celtic hearts beat.

It may not be the site to say this so please forgive me. I heard and saw a video clip of a song for the first time by a great singer, who I intend to listen to in more depth.

I had just finished listening to Christy Moore singing Viva la Quinta Brigada, and the imagery and the lyrics to the song had me in tears. A fantastic song.

13. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Just watched highlights of the Dundee Utd v St Mirren game.

It was an attractive game with the ball being passed around on the deck and players running off the ball and finding space.
    Rarely a high ball was played.

Is the way Ange wants Celtic to play, now having an influence on how other teams in the SPL are also starting to play ?

14. Big Marn

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Ange Fenian Song
    Can only hope they are wise enough to want to improve their product. No guarentees though.

15. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Watched snippets of the Hearts game. McKay looked the goods as a creative midfielder for them, may be a prospect for Celtic to consider going forward. Two good assists in this Hearts victory. Good vision, finds space, moves well.

16. Al Bootyerbaws

Barry McKay? You havin a laugh.

17. Larsson'snose

Agreed.

I'd say a lot of people are underestimating just how good of a job Ange has done here in such a short amount of time.

I honestly can't remember the last time I have felt like this about Celtic. Has to be the MON era, but I was 10 years old then so everything is magical when you're 10.

Ange is so infectious that you can't help but feel a presence of safety and assurance with him as our manager. That no matter what happens, he gives everything he has for this club and upholds the values that makes it special.

I hope he is here for a long, long time. If he stays for 5+ years, I genuinely predict us winning a European cup under him and I don't even think that's an outlandish claim.

We are entering some special times at Celtic.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
  18. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    I think we have a chance to win or at least go deep into the conference league this season. Might be a season too early and the defence might not be good enough yet but Look at the top 3 favs.. Roma, Leicester and Marseille.. wouldn't fear any of those on our day with our full strength team and on form. Lots of ifs but no one yo fear in that comp.

First things first though... win the league

19. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

From what I've heard and seen of Bodo/Glimt it seems like we got a pretty tough draw there early on, beat them over two legs and I reckon we could go far in that competition. As you say, nobody to really fear if we're at our best, if we play like we did over in Germany and Spain.

thailandceltic likes this.
  20. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    So weird seeing our transfer business getting done early, with talented and ambitious young players arriving, and actually feeling like the squad is coming together nicely.

It’s genuinely a bit unsettling.

I imagine this is what an domestic abuse victim feels like when the dinners cold, but the husband just smiles, puts it in the microwave and asks if she’d like a back rub.