1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Dominic McKay

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Mr. Slippyfist, Jan 29, 2021.

Discuss Dominic McKay in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hard to choose ... different players for different era's
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Definitely..but the fans/supporters/customers are limited to what action they can take.

It's really the shareholders who can spearhead the drive for change and we all know the fans and supporters will back them but I fear it will come down to votes.

Like I said, the board will just tell you to suck it up..

So, over to you... what are you going to do apart from sucking it up.. that is basically what they are saying to fans / customers

This board authorized fences erected to keep fans away. Further , they removed signs etc from the fences.

The person responsible for this should never have been appointed.

The board members who have let us stagnate .. nay, gone backwards, should be chased buy unfortunately they vote each other back on.

2. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Why did they not go with a lawwell mark 2?

Because they knew how badly they * it last year and they needed something to use as a "things are different" situation to sell this season to the fans.

*, they sold this season on having no manager, that's how much just having someone like McKay (someone not linked with the club) on board, to the fans.

I'm inclined to believe they expected him to be "moulded" enough to continue as was, with just the illusion of change.
    I dare say the board as a collective has probably been running as some sort of group CEO for years, rather than just the one man. So the idea one man comes in and tries to do things in a way they don't like, wouldn't work for them.

Had they originally just given it to the club lawyer back in March, chances are the pitchforks would have (rightly) stayed out in force and they would have risked this season's income.

They'll be banking on Ange now continuing an upward trend of progress here to sell next season to us.
    Which is another massive concern in itself, that they will believe that just progress of some kind - not even winning the league - will suffice. That's how low they know the expectations of the fans have dropped.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

3. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Well, we already proxy our shareholder votes to the Celtic Trust, whilst not perfect seems the best vehicle to try and force change. And you don't need to be a shareholder to join.

4. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    For sure.. problem is the shares held by boardmembers dwarf anything that fans groups can cobble together.

If there is an alternative other than voting changes in board members and AoA then I'm unaware of it.

Maybe someone out there has a plan but the board control all voting.. just look at Resolution 12.. if it were down to fans , supporters etc it would have sailed through.

The only thing customers can do is withdraw their custom.. and the Celtic fans won't do this.

The last big change at board level required a situation where our club almost went to the wall..

That's how difficult it is to shift those entrenched on the Board.

German model needed 50+1

Taz likes this.
  5. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Fans could undertake actions that damage the shareholders, and threaten to continue with such actions until the shareholders sell their shares.

6. HenriksRightBoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Well said, I can see the logic in most of the above.

But I still don´t see the rationale in appointing McKay. The way it panned out, IMHO it´s obvious that they (the board) either sold him a pack of lies, or totally underestimated what his intentions and ambitions were.
    Either way, it doesn´t reflect well on the club at all.
    What does it mean going forward, for example the next time a high ranking official is to be hired?

Peej and Liam Scales like this.
  7. JamesM09

I'm firmly in agreement with the board being completely incompetent, controlling dinosaurs etc.

However..

From the rumours from 'normal' staff up at the stadium, supposedly McKay also just wasn't doing the job properly. There are rumours he wasn't turning up, missing important meetings, people couldn't get a hold of him etc.

For me, this seems likely because if the problems were to do with him trying to change things I don't think they would've punted him like they did. It seems to be the speed of the sacking indicated they had hired a complete dud.

Obviously we will never know the truth and it's all down to opinion. I'm happy to believe the board would resist major change, but while I think that's true I also don't think that was the reason McKay was removed.

I think what we're seeing here is severe incompetence from all parties. The type of unbelievable stories you read about from failed companies years later. If you consider the people running Celtic might not be fit for the job and have only landed there because they can manipulate Celtic supporters, it really all makes sense.

Peej likes this.
  8. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Much like with players and managers, we will now be getting a reputation of not being entertained.

Rodgers got screwed and Howe was far from impressed (not entertaining a debate on his ability here) and with that we are becoming known as a club that respected managers won't want to come to, many many factors to that.
    Along with that, players are quickly realising we aren't a club that is best suited for them either, especially younger talent that has actively been leaving the club.
    Of course we aren't a complete riddy, there is merit to some players and managers coming here, but we are fast becoming a club not really seen as high profile in any capacity now.

Any self respecting CEO who would want to come in to the club will be looking at the McKay fiasco and what came before and after then realise there is no point to coming here - so it will continue as a job for the boys and/or someone with an emotional tie to the club (big Ramon Vega for an example throwing his name in to the ring).

It's been known for years but this club really really does need ripped apart at board level and get proper staff in to it.

I get we don't want to be an oilgarch toy, nor a cold shell of an American franchise, but being ran by sporting staff who see the club with ambition (and not a status for their pals) who want to invest in the club would be ideal. And perhaps that would be better suited by a complete outsider.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

9. murphy88

We don’t know if he agreed to the use of the term. He has been silent since as well, just as Eddie Howe was after the deal fell through. Which was odd as well considering how far along the line the deal was meant to be.

10. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Of course I have an opinion its not changed from when I last expressed it- The board aren't perfect but they aren't this utter failure of a board that some claim either. If we change the board today and they go on to oversee, in the next 20 years, another 15 title wins I think most would take that today and not count that as a failure etc -wouldn't you? Sure we can all point to mistakes made, some real some perceived imo, but overall that is not a sign of a board that has failed by any metric and certainly nowhere near the level of clueless etc that has become popular to claim.

I know you want more fan representation, you know my worries on that regarding the competency of the rep/the trust as it'll simply be a popularity contest to be elected, not a skills based one, but we can ignore that for now. My point here is by simply having a fans rep in the boardroom that won't magically improve communication as some seem to think it will. You/We can stick a fan rep in the boardroom tomorrow and very quickly that poor * will be getting called a tory *, clueless and not fit for purpose etc by, mainly, the same folk who currently do it, simply because they (the rep) will have to act as though they are on the board of a PLC which doesn't allow/include telling us about everything they discuss in the boardroom, most of which is sensitive by nature.
    Case in point DM. If you want my opinion on that I think he has had an eye opener to the differences in football and rugby, the level of commitment required also took him by surprise (there is a limit to the amount of times "I'll take another message for him as he isn't here just now again" can be gotten away with) but he also quickly discovered the level of scrutiny he fell under was severe and not everyone would like or be prepared to deal with that, more so when that wasn't a thing they had encountered previously JC.

JC Anton and tarboltontim like this.
  11. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

@Tim-Time 1888 I take some of your points on board, it's difficult to truly know what's went on with McKay, regardless of what reasons they give and we'll probably never find out..

It doesn't mean we shouldn't try and hold them to account and push for more involvement in how the club we all love is run.

We've had success, yes and the board were part of that delivery and deserve praise for the part they played in our domestic domination. It could have been so much better in lots of obvious ways tho.

It's clear we need a rebuild in structure and direction there's no resilience if Ange were to leave suddenly or within a year or two.. There's promising signs on the park in spite of the shambles off it and it is a shambles just now, we don't even have a head of Recruitment in place as we approach the Jan window..

Regardless of what happened with McKay the board obviously got the appointment wrong and take blame for that..

We will always disagree I think on the structure and future of the club, but the disassociation between the board and fanbase is a large chasm at the moment as large as its been since the Kellys and Whites.. And that must change their communication with us simply must be better, for a start.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    tarboltontim likes this.
  12. FranceCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - McGregor, Past - Lubo
    I'm prety sure it WAS personal reasons - ie he personally thought the board were a bunch of *....

M 67 and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  13. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I've been told this week via someone who would know that he genuinely was overwhelmed by the job..

Found it extremely difficult with the task at hand and even wee thing's like how much he was noticed and stopped out and about etc. He didn't like it one bit..

Take it with a pinch of salt but comes from someone quite high up at a London club..

JamesM09, Liam Scales and JC Anton like this.
  14. Graeme1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    We’ve looked better since he’s left :fear:

15. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    London club? If you had said Manchester City, then it would make sense.

16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Have a good weekend..

Graeme1888 likes this.
  17. Damnati

I think this version of events makes as much sense to me as any other. The scope of the job at Celtic is so much wider than the one he came from or has now gone to. Likely to be so much more stressful.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  18. Brian Dunphy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Merry Plougboy
    Peter Stringfellow?

19. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Very true..BUT, many shareholders are fans who are actually on our side. They are not interested in the dividends and would be wrong to damage them.

Getting larger shareholders to give their voting rights over to fans groups is one way to go.. maybe even limited to certain resolutions ( the old resolution 12 for example where it's unlikely to harm their bottom line on returns )

The latest stuff written by one of our board in Walter Smith article is an absolute disgrace. If we have a director that does not even understand what the term Liquidation means then he should not be holding a position on the board.

Perhaps shareholders ( fans holding shares ) can write to him and other board members demanding an explanation as to why this board member is holding a position in office when he doesn't know the meaning of biz terms and definitions. Further, why did other board members allow him to write it if it's from the club.

Long road ahead to get any change on this board. DD is entrenched and our fans don't have enough votes to force matters at present.

Leone Naka Fan and Double Dutch like this.
  20. Maestro 08

I'm willing to believe that. He struck me as the type who might struggle with the scrutiny here. Thing is that's another black mark against the current board. At the very same time we were letting Howe run rings round us we also head hunted a new CEO that couldn't handle the job within months of coming in the door.

McChiellini.. and JamesM09 like this.