1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Transfer Window poll.. Happy.. Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by thailandceltic, Aug 30, 2021.

Discuss Transfer Window poll.. Happy.. Yes or No? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I don't think he was signed as an Edouard replacement tbh.

I think we will still be looking for another striker in the lead up to January.

martin_d likes this.
  2. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Hopefully GG hits the ground running and we can look at more of an Edouard type project in Jan..

Not totally given up on Ajeti yet either.. Needs to seize the few chances he'll get.

martin_d and Mr Shelby like this.
  3. The Don

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll never walk alone
    You have got to be happy with Liel Abada and Kyogo. Best players we have brought in, in a long time and two players that could go on to be great for us. Croatian starting right back as well. I think Liam Scales will be very good as well, he is a player that I have always been impressed with and there is a reason Championship and some English Premier League clubs have been interested in him.

4. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Aye I think he was possibly bought for the left side..

Mikey injured and only really Christie was the other alternative, plus Edouard's head being elsewhere, the Griffiths situation, Ajeti no being fancied...kinda made it easy for him to be played as the 9..

Then he took it and made an unbelievable impression..

Has been stuck on the left since but looks a number 9 all day long. I don't think we'll see him on the left much anymore..

JC Anton and Hammy89 like this.
  5. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    I agree.

I think Kyogo was brought in for left wing but has been a revelation as a striker for us. Long may it continue.

I'd love to get shot of Ajeti and bring in another striker in January, or even next summer. That'd be us sorted in that department for the foreseeable.

Dan Breen, Mr Shelby and JC Anton like this.
  6. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Just need to hope that come January we're still in the mix as far as the League is concerned, still think as a team we are a bit lightweight tbh, maybe could've done with a midfield enforcer ?

Hammy89 likes this.
  7. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Shocked at the result of this poll to be honest.

One injury in midfield and we’re in huge trouble.

Playing every 3-4 days at the intensity expected, we’re *.

The Phoenix and mayo like this.
  8. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    Delighted overall. 12 players in and moved on the rotten apples.

Kyogo looks like the best buy in a long long time....played through the middle running in behind he will get an insane amount of goals for us.

Abada looks * hot , especially at only 19.

GG - top scorer in eredivisie, big , strong aerial threat ; been missing this type for a while ....length of contract and the fact he has the number 7 shirt says everything about Ange's trust in this signing.

Juranovic - Croatian international RB , plenty of quality and pedigree.

Jota - Has bags and bags of talent and I think playing for us in the SPL will be the ideal place for him to nurture his talent and end product. Will suit being in a team that attacks non stop. The option to buy is ideal.

Scales I like the look of - has all the LB attributes to play Ange's system ....and is a big strong lump which is always a plus.

Hart- much better than what we had and is a good shot stopper and a leader.

McCarthy - good experience and quality in a position we may well need cover - if he finds fitness and form he could be a deserved starter for us , he has that quality.

Starfelt- hasn't looked great but hopefully he settles in and the mistakes stop. Has shown he is a good defender in the most literal sense; clearing , blocking , tackling.

James Forrest back is like a quality new signing. Julien to come back in .
    A rejuvenated Rogic and the emergence of Ralston have also made us alot stronger.

We are going to hammer teams and I expect us to do better than them against the rest of the league. We will be well and truly in the mix come January , where we can go again in the transfer market. The recruitment has been a * of a lot better than last year .
    As for the midfield ....Mcgregor , Turnbull, Soro, McCarthy

Carter Vickers - no idea , but it's a CB and we desperately needed to get one in , looks fairly promising from what I have seen , but we will see.

9. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    I think a good thing about this window is the players we brought in want to be here and by the sounds of it know what it means to play for Celtic.. compared to last season it's gonna be night and day..

Hart, Vickers, Scales, McCarthy, Kyogo, Abada, Jota especially for me.. these lads have points to prove and careers starting off.. add them to Ralston, Calmac, Julien and Forrest and I think we have a core of very determined players...it remains to be seen if its good enough...

martin_d likes this.
  10. Foley1888

I think in terms of who we have brought in it’s probably too early to make a full assessment. For me I feel two to three first team players short in a left back, a centre mid and a left winger. Left back and left wing I can only think the club are holding out for Montgomery and Johnston to come good, centre midfield I don’t really understand we have a lot of youth players but none that have got even remotely close to the squad.

One thing that did go pretty well given where we found ourselves at the start of the window was sales brought in over £35m in fees with potential to rise by around £8.5m, most of those who were out on loan last year were sold or are gone.

Of the senior players left at the club you would want out there are really only the four, Barkas, Bitton, Bollingoli and Ajeti. It sounds like Barkas and Bitton had offers but chose to stay what the club can’t do much about, hopefully Boli maybe able to be punted to Turkey or Russia during the remainder of their window. Ajeti has shown a better attitude and if it hadn’t been for how high a wage he is on you would probably give him a chance as third choice.

Also taking into account this season and last we must have reduced the wage bill significantly by at least about £6m a year given all the expensive loan players we had last year, Brown and Ntcham being amongst our top earners and us having lost 19 players and replaced them with 12 who a number of them are youth players.

Of those we signed:
    Kyogo looks a star capable of being our talisman which is important given Edouard’s decline and now moved on.

Abada looks a player of some potential he is young and falls out of games but has that ability even in a game where he isn’t at his best to have big moments, e.g Alkmaar away to set up Kyogo and them last Sunday with the ball to Kyogo for Edouard’s sitter and he put a peach of a ball in the box in the first half that no one attacked. His end product is very good for someone so young as well.

Hart has offered a steady presence, mistake against AZ aside but then over the tie he made some big saves to help us get through.

Juranovic one game on the wrong side but he looks a good player and keen to see what he brings on the right, feeling positive about that one.

Starfelt has had a few clangers and needs to settle down, hopefully with a run of games post the international break he can do that. Jury is still out for now.

Giakoumakis, Carter-Vickers, and Jota all have the profile to make an impact but haven’t seen any of them so can’t make a judgement. Keen to see what they can bring.

Scales has attributes which suggest he could make an impact but question is can he step up.

McCarthy not seen enough of him, hoping he can use the international fortnight to get himself fit and ready to go as the lack of depth at CM is worrying.

Urhoghide and Shaw haven’t seen enough off, they were both highly rated before signed. Urhoghide looks very raw in his small number of appearances. Shaw is a little more interesting just now as I think he has the attributes that fit what our midfield is missing, he is physical, has that long stride that allows him to cover ground quickly and looked to have a good engine to go box to box. I am surprised we haven’t seen more of him on the bench.

Lawal, I know is playing at B team level and he has been playing CB but I think there is a lot to like about him. He has the attributes again we are missing in our midfield where he played at Watford’s academy, he is physically imposing, quick looks comfortable on the ball. I think if it wasn’t for the rules about playing so many games for the first team we may have seen him in and around squads. Hope this doesn’t turn out like some of the other young guys who look great at lesser levels but never seem to get a chance, like Luca Connell.

When looking at it from a financial prospect it’s been a decent window wage bill probably down by minimum £6m probably more, surplus from transfer activity of at least £15m probably slightly higher, and from an attitude perspective most of the want away guys are gone.

Whether this ends up a success longer term probably depends how the club sort out our behind the scenes in terms of recruitment now to get another 2- 4 in during January, depending on how the likes of Montgomery, Johnston and Dembele (if they can get fit), possibly Shaw or one of the other young CMs do between now and then. Bosmans for the summer should also be a priority.

Also try and get the four mentioned above out at least on loan as particularly Barkas and Ajeti are just rotting away any value the now, Boli is already gone and Bitton would be more losing his wage as it would be less than a £1m we would get for him.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
  11. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Yes, really important that.

JamesM09 likes this.
  12. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Overall, guess not to bad of a window, considering the scale of the rebuild and getting rid of the want aways.
    Looking ahead to next window, we should be trying to offload the 3 back up keepers, all 3 are full internationals, would like to think they all want to play regularly, we should look at a sound SPL keeper.
    Also, we need reinforcements in midfield, unless someone can step up but am not too hopeful.
    CJ should be back playing by then, so defense sorted, maybe with Monty and Scales both starring.
    Unless the like of Micky J, Henderson, Soro, Bitton, James McC, Shaw start to make a contribution, we should draft in the likes of Lawel and Moffat. Ange wont suffer some of those guys just because they have been here a few years.
    I do reckon Ang will be targeting the * market come January.
    Hopefully, we will be still in the hunt in the league.

13. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

we needed a lot of players and on the face of it they seem like decent players time will tell

we really shouldnt expect all the pieces to just fall in line and us to be dominant again but ofcourse thats what we all want

all we have is a manager and the board room that dont want to give up power, thats not how modern football clubs operate as was seen last season, one bad manager and it all comes of the rails

lennon being a * coach and just saying aye to whatever lawell put down to him was disastrous

fuking hope we arent creating a lawell mark 2

the less people inbetween the manager and the board is what the board want

JamesM09 likes this.
  14. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    My one major complaint would be we didn't get another midfielder in.

But again, realistically it was never going to be sorted in one window. But a bit frustrating that Edouard and Christie left on the last day, although somewhat predictable.

Two midfielders would be one of my main aims in 3 months time.

saltire78 and Hammy89 like this.
  15. GreenLeanMean

Wishful thinking here.. but hopefully Ange has a brilliant left back lined up for Jan from the J-league and thinks we can get by with Taylor and Monty until then.. not ideal and almost certainly not the case haha

16. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    50/50 , more to do .

Easter Rd Davie likes this.
  17. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    This is now exactly what is playing out. All entirely foreseeable.

We brought more in than we spent, and by a very decent margin. That put this window into perspective.

Needed at least 4 players after the defeat at Ibrox (Jota and the Greek excluded as they were already in the pipeline) and we got just one, CCV on a free.

Our midfield is dreadful. Lost Brown, Ntcham and Christie. All of them needed replaced and this was known for some time. Yet again, all we got was one, James McCarthy another freebie from England.

That's a serious lack of ambition and a clear indication any potential rebuild was being approached with the same sort of half-arsed do-as-little-as-possible culture that saw the failed Hibs coach get the job after Rodgers was let go for 9 million.

What good did failing to invest that Rodgers money do us? A big profit aye :rolleyes: now look at the * state we're in. Cracking business plan.

Same thing happening again. There was never a serious attempt at a rebuild. We're now looking at a practical re-run of last October-November with some horrific away fixtures coming up. Our season could well be over by Christmas again. A grim prospect.

Garrymac1888 and FrankMcCallum like this.
  18. G40B

Folk were creaming themselves over the window when it slammed shut.

Time and time again this attitude from the support allows the board to slither off untouched.

Is anyone still counting the Greek as a replacement for Edouard?

19. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    People were creaming themselves over the window when it slammed shut? That's definitely no how I remember it..

Aye it's the fan's fault. Lol..

Twisty likes this.
  20. G40B

Look at the poll on this page.

It is all the support’s fault. Time and time again it’s enabled this board to do whatever it wants.

Rewind 20 months ago and the majority genuinely believed Peter Lawwell was a chief operator in football.