1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Real Betis v Celtic Thursday 16th September 5:45 kick off Bt sport 3

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Sep 11, 2021.

Discuss Real Betis v Celtic Thursday 16th September 5:45 kick off Bt sport 3 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Suppose the big question is, Would Welsh playing instead of Starfelt prevented them scoring four goals? He has to be given a chance alongside CCV after this. Betis are a good team but they're no Bayern or PSG we shouldnt be conceding four goals against them.

2. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

Mixed feelings after that. Disappointing to yet again find ourselves 2-0 up away from home in Europe only to throw it away. We've got the quality to compete with these teams and we've shown that, but it just feels like our mentality is maybe still a bit fragile. We crumbled at the first sign of pressure, and it's crazy how often we concede quickfire goals in Europe.

Another worry was that we looked to be toiling a bit, physically. Could be the heat etc but that's something that worries me - especially when we try to play at a high intensity. Some of the players looked out on their feet towards the end, but we were missing a lot of what I would consider our strongest XI.

On the positive side, we played well for large spells and there were some good individual performances. It feels like we have a long way to go, but I like how we've started under Ange.

3. Paradise88

1000%

Starfelt is a dud

4. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

theres a lot of good stuff the soro does but he does do basic stupid stuff as well

i like the way he uses his body strength and his speed to intercept the ball and nick the ball of the opposition i like the way he positions himself to boss the midfield i think he can play and pass the ball well too, theres a player there if we iron out his rashness and calm him down

but he needs games

for me and us i wouldnt be saddened to see him and mccarthy play in the same side at times in scotland they are plenty good enough passing and defending and with 2 wingers a striker and rogic or turbull in front of them that should take care of every team in scotland easily

soro needs games to develop and to make him the player he can be, he cant win every ball, he cant stick his foot up to head height to get the ball, when hes chasing the ball down learn to put the brakes on so you dont just run into the player

anyway proud of the team tonight they were brilliant and never chucked it

Jeannie960 likes this.
  5. LTPS

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sign
    No chance the keeper sees red
    He makes an attempt to get the ball
    You only get a red at a penalty if you make no attempt at getting the ball (pulling the jersey, etc)

6. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hard to choose ... different players for different era's
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Our defence, ( not just present squad ) are mentally weak when they concede a goal, often losing all composure and structure for about 10 mins.

In the league we get away with it, in Europe we get punished. How many teams have scored quick fire doubles against us in Euripe.

As long as we learn from it under Ange coz we haven't under any other manager.

Soro needs punted, a liability and limited footballer.

Some good performances and scored 2 more than I thought we would.

Onwards and Upwards. Need to get our players fit and hope we steer clear of injuries until New Year

7. LTPS

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sign
    For all the good jota done he left ralston exposed too many times
    That’s what cost us the game, as well as soro

Dan Breen and George Theodorou like this.
  8. Pearse67*

—————-hart——————
    Juranovic-ccv-jullien—??
    —————??????——————
    ——-turnbull——mcgregor——
    Jota———kyogo———-abada

rogic
    Welsh
    Starfelt
    Gioumakis
    Ajeti
    Soro
    Taylor

scales hasnt played yet so cant judge but i feel we are a lb and a real strong defensive mid away from being a decent side.

9. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain

He fairly put the squeeze on our bailamos. :fear:

Seán Mac D likes this.
  10. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    There were positives in this game even though we lost 4-3. It could have been 4-0.

Ange took it to them and kept them on the back foot which they did not expect. Pelligrini is a very experienced coach with a big squad of players to rely on and still struggled to get an emphatic scoreline. Ange did not have the luxury of a bench full of ready players to come on.

Why did he not bring on more players ? Probably did not want to deplete the squad for the Livingston game. Also give the players more game time on the pitch and make them find solutions during the game. Soro scares me. Ange kept him on longer than I would have liked. Good distribution but can't tackle for * and is a liability on the pitch when he does so.

Ralston just impresses me each time I see him play. Really gutsy and sets an example to everyone to play to the very last second. He stepped up. Getting to be captain material.

Jota was very lively but - cross the ball on the deck son when they have big defenders.
    Montgomery was a presence and did a good job. Same with Juranovic. Had no doubt he would score the penalty.

Soro lacks character. Everyone is focused on the game and he is smiling each time he commits a foul and in dangerous areas on the pitch. He has good distribution and is lively with his movement but his bad habits continue and he endangers the team to go one man down. I was certain he was going to get a red card in the first half. I must have repeated at least 25 times - take him off ! That pathetic attempt at a challenge on the left that led to third Betis goal was unforgivable. Did not face the player, put his body in the way and turned away with the wrong outstretched foot. He needs to be fined. Ange needs to give him a good talking to behind closed doors.

I actually had hopes of a win today. With a regular team we would have done it. With the boys today, all things considered, it was a respectable result . Betis are a good side and they were at home.

Starfelt keeps getting in the way of CCV when we are defending within the 18 yard box.

The lads must be knackered and now face a short turnaround for the Sunday match.

11. seanm

Exactly lost one goal then ran about like headless chickens instead of trying to to slow the game down or take time with throw ins etc.shat it and the damage was done.HH

George Theodorou likes this.
  12. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    This was evident last season, too. We took a lead against Milan. 0-2, ended 4-2. Starfelt is not the calming, leader-like figure we need in defense.

13. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Jota can play on both wings and has done so in his career.

14. Foley1888

Overwhelming feeling from that game is you shouldn’t lose a game from being 2-0 in front. It shows a real weak mentality and poor game management to do so. The position we were in there is no way we should have went in level at half time.

We are never going to be a better team than those from the big 5 leagues for a whole game so when we are on top we need to take our chances which we did predominantly first half and manage the game properly when we are up against it.

The first 3 goals we lost tonight were all really poor. The first one was our typical lack of anyone taking charge of a situation and clearing there lines which led to them getting the break of the ball and an easy finish. The second was schoolboy stuff from Carter Vickers who totally switches off. The third someone’s got to stop that cross coming in or at least get in front of the striker and cut it out; we had plenty of bodies there to deal with it but again failed to take charge of the situation.

Some positives to take as I never expected anything from the game beforehand with so many out. Turnbull was very good what I saw of the game Ajeti a goal and won the penalty, it’s a pity he isn’t a yard quicker as he has decent movement but sometimes just doesn’t have the leagues to get there, Jota looked lively and Rogic had some nice touches but first half was guilty of giving the ball away when he had to find a man with a simple pass at times.

15. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Even at 2 nil up i never had any confidence we would go on and win it, we're just so fragile at the back.

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  16. Big els

Fav Celtic Player:
    Currently: Ajer. Historically: Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I wanna be Edouard
    Enrique Iglesias could saunter through our defence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

packybhoy likes this.
  17. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    You were close to the mark.

18. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Positives are that we can still score with Kyogo, Abada and Jamesy out.
    Negatives, McGregor really needs to be there to help that backline. Without him or a fit Mccarthy the centre backs get exposed.

19. Mr Diggler

Mixed emotions after that. I didn't give us a prayer beforehand without three key players in McGregor, Kyogo and Forrest. You could Adaba too actually. We started incredibly well, probably the best 30 minutes I have seen us play away from home. Without such key men Ange deserves huge credit. With the hard work done we should have managed the game much better. The goals we conceded wouldn't have looked out of place on a Sunday morning. I think the goals were down to our structure though. With the full backs in midfield one ball over the top down the channels left us totally exposed. Conceding 4 goals in 23 minutes is not acceptable at any level. I like Ange but he is going to need to demonstrate a far better game management ability. That is 5 defeats in 6 away games this season. Three of those were from a winning position in Europe.

20. Conor tierney

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    On the bright side at least we weren’t playing conference league tonight, frustrating game but we have the making of a team which is more than I could say a few months ago. With everyone missing it was always gonna be a nightmare the a lot of lads didn’t do bad