1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Dominic McKay

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Mr. Slippyfist, Jan 29, 2021.

Discuss Dominic McKay in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Wullywanbaw

Fav Celtic Player:
    Chris Sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Zombie nation
    If it wasn't for them, they wouldn't have the foundations we have today and the story they tell. Disgraceful from them if thats the case one ticket. They should have a box for them and family for life

2. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    I used to go to the same gym as one of the Lions prior to the lockdown and we used to regularly have a wee chat about the football and how he was the very first player who signed my autograph book when I was a boy. Anyway, he also told me that the club have their "favourites" who are regularly asked to attend function's etc. and that all the others are generally forgotten about which is fecking disgraceful.

3. CountyDownFaithful

The Record running an article on 4 potential placements for McKay.

Michael Nicholson and 3 of Desmond’s sons. If we end up with any of them then the disconnect between the support and board will be at breaking point.

4. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

The most laughable piece of toilet article I’ve had the displeasure of reading.

A nothingness of nothing.

5. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Aye mate, that's why I'm asking. They're not going to be paying them a token salary or anything like that, so what should be expected? Free tickets to games?

6. LTPS

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sign
    When you have non players getting seats for life surely that should be afforded to our greatest team before any * else

The_Bhoy and Peej like this.
  7. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Some daft * started a WhatsApp rumour yesterday that it was Andrew Neil replacing him. :giggle1:

MickeyyMack likes this.
  8. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I don't disagree. But to what extent should former employees expect support or freebies from the club? Should it just be ex players, or are any of the club's other employees considered? Genuinely curious as to what people expect.

9. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Of course not, but when or comes to a group of players such as the Lisbon lions (others like Larsson as well and not many after), they should be afforded better than they get from the club.

Guys like mulgrew? Naw, of course not.
    But the lions? They are the highest of all highes to this club.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

10. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I'd say if the club kept a batch of a couple hundred tickets and they were released to ex-players/managers to attend on a FCFS basis.

The Lions should have a ticket for every game if they want it. They're club royalty.

11. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Aye, you can see that. They’ll always wheel out the likes of Bertie, Jim Craig, etc. Can’t remember the last time I saw/heard of a John Clark or even Lennox at an official Celtic event.

Wee Baldy likes this.
  12. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Fair enough.

The Phoenix and Peej like this.
  13. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

tey
    only a few of them were confortable on camera and speaking to people thats how i saw it caesar jinky craig and bertie maybe the others didnt have the personality for it

i always thought the club were good and decent with the lions since they are the clubs royalty id be shocked if they have been poorly treated

another thing these guys done wonders for celtic and didnt get near what the modern professional footballers get that could have created a bit of bitterness, i dont even know if the older players like lisbon lions got a pension from celtic or private healthcare did billy get any private healthcare treatment for his dementia paid for by celtic or where these old players expected to just use the NHS or their own savings if they wanted to go private ?

14. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    TBH, the LL were not always treated with the reverence that they are now. Wasn't really until the 20th Anniversary that such a collective awe was being made about their achievement, at least since the player's retirement.

Which in a way kind of makes sense, as Bobby Lennox, for instance, was still playing until 1980, but even after that there wasn't a huge deal made of it, until the sad passing of Big Jock and in a way that marked a point where people really started to once again reflect on the achievements, and over the following years as the 20th Anniversary approached it was fully given the respect it had been due. And especially knowing that the club's centenary would be the following season really did make more of an effort to push the LL legend front and centre even more than perhaps it had been done previously, as fans etc were more than perhaps usual reflecting back over the history of the club to that point.

History is often like that. In the immediate aftermath of such a monumental achievement as Lisbon obviously a whole lot of celebrating, but time doesn't stand still, so there isn't always the continued recognition of it being the pinnacle achievement, as the players were back in action a couple of months later as the new season got underway, and can't rest on laurels. There was always another football match to be played, right until they had played their last, and for quite a few that was not until many years after that night in Lisbon.

That is even the same today - all those players that have played a significant part in the Quad Treble and the 9IAR and there are members on here that have been all like 'punt' & 'past it' etc. That is just the nature of football.

Even during the Stein era, it wasn't perhaps seen as exceptional as Celtic were a genuine powerhouse on the European stage at that time, making the F4 of the European Cup in 4 of 8 seasons between 1967-74. So there even though the achievement of winning it all in 1967 was the highpoint, there were still so many great seasons of European success that followed that it became almost an expectation during that era, and that there may be another European Cup win just around the corner, so it wasn't til that era was over that people really started to reflect on just how good it had been on the whole, and how truly special 1967 had been.

Anyhow, not entirely sure why we are focusing on the LL in this thread though, but just had to be said.

Guess tile to put this thread back on the Dom McKay track again, lol

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    Damnati, The_Bhoy, JC Anton and 4 others like this.
  15. Big Shoes Tictok Gold Member

Pretty sure Paul mcstay has a season ticket for life.

16. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Won't get much use of that where he is.

People like that should definitely have a seat if they want it though. Standards.

17. LTPS

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sign
    As I said. If rod stewart can get a seat for life then players who have made Celtic the club it is should get them. Why the * should a tory loving pop star get a free ride at cp when our greatest team can’t

18. LTPS

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sign
    They shouldn’t even need a ticket. The front row of the boards seating area should be the lions till the day they die and only theirs
    They are the only living people (other than McCann) who shouldn’t need a ticket and should have the freedom of Celtic park whenever they want no questions asked
    Again them McCann and larsson to an extent are the epitome of what Celtic fc are as a football club

19. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    This 100%

Seán Mac D likes this.
  20. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    And so he should, one of greatest ever players and captains.

Gabriel and McChiellini.. like this.