1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Where it went wrong?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by stubhoy07, Mar 7, 2021.

Discuss Where it went wrong? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. mayo

Not binning Liewell after Mowbray in 2010
    Getting rid of John Park in 2016
    Rodgers leaving and replacing him with Lennon for round 2 in 2019

To me this is the 3 major reasons we * the ten.

2. Keano88

Definitely put a downer on the day.

The football he had us playing during the interim period was extremely similar to what we’ve seen this season which is why I didn’t want him to be given the job permanently.

The board knew they could get away with it though as there’s so many happy clappers in our support.

seanm, martin_d and The Phoenix like this.
  3. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    Everyone from board to players have put themselves first.

They will not give two * now or especially when the season finishes.

They will all still be wealthy men while we have to take all the *.

seanm likes this.
  4. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Letting Nicholas go in '83 for me.

5. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Our loss was DFS sofas gain.

[​IMG]

6. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    :56::56::56:

Seán Mac D and Rydo1888* like this.
  7. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Not adjusting our strategy after achieving success.

Failure to capitalise from positions of strength.

Poor recruitment and recruitment strategy time and time again.

Failure to cut the rot when evident signs it was setting in.

Probably thinking we were better than what we were.

seanm and callumrae1967 like this.
  8. celtic warrior

To put it simply.

The board saw an opportunity to go cheap as well as, cash in on bullshit merch with Lennon at the helm for 10iar.

That combo was too good for them to turn down. Never mind actually turning on a laptop, loading football manager and picking a random manager from there.

That's it. It went wrong because as the current board and ceo often do, is the bare minimum to keep things interesting, never mind record revenues or silverware won, success with them is greeted with everything being scaled back.

seanm likes this.
  9. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Lennon was perfect to see out the season, and should have been only till end of season when Rodgers left, giving us time to find a new manager, as soon as we offered him the job full time many including me were not happy, he was the cheap and easy option. Last season the football was dreadful but we had a sort of resurgence after new year in conjunction with a hun collapse, this year none of that happened and we now lost the 10, if we lost the 10 in a good title fight i would have been gutted but fine that we gave it our all, but we just took a dive and pretty much gave it away.

seanm likes this.
  10. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    I think it does matter, we signed them players and we would have been in a much better position.

Rodgers for me would have stayed until the summer and had everyone’s blessing.

instead he wanted to give a big * you to Pedro.

Pedro got his cheap yes man in and then offered him the gig full time because Lennon would back him at every turn due to getting another life line into management.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  11. rkid

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    We beat 90 points 2 times out of the 9 in a row. This season isn’t a one off we’ve underperformed in the majority of our league campaigns in this run and if you put this rangers team up against ronnys team, or Rodgers last 2 seasons we would have lost the league there as well

12. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

The rat would not have lost this league to the Huns, no way.

A straight direct comparison of points totals is futile.

13. s88 Gold Member Gold Member

Difficult to pin exactly but probably somewhere in BR's last 6 months. You could tell there was something going on behind closed doors and was going to result in implosion.

Don't think Lennon is to blame either as majority of Celtic fans knew he wasn't the answer.

For years the recruitment has been dire and we've never built upon our strengths.

stubhoy07 and seanm like this.
  14. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Does it really matter? The only thing that matters at this point is how to get back on the right path & set it right. And that cannot begin to happen until there is a new manager appointed & perhaps even a DoF.

Ironically, at the end of the 2018/19 season after he had gotten the Bhoys over the line following BR's departure, I would have been all in favour of Lennon being in appointed to the DoF role as opposed to the manager's office, as he clearly had a good relationship with Lawell & Desmond, and despite his plentiful of shortcomings as a manager, the one asset he does have is a decent eye for a player (playing a significant role in identifying and bringing in the likes of Wanyama, Hooper, Ledley, Lustig, Forster, VVD, Rogic among so many others).

But any chance (or desire) for that happening has well and truly gone, and it's all academic. All the more reason the importance on getting these appointments right this time to get heafing in the right direction and back on top again.

15. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Lennon.

Every single manager in this league with this team outperforms him.

Free the Adblock, honda and seanm like this.
  16. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Exciting summer tbh. Once this seasons done. The weirdest season in history... its going to get exciting again. New players, new manager. A champions league qualifying attempt. Probably do better in the non champions route than being expected to win :56: and now we know we have a proper challenge so each game will be more intense than even this year.

Looking forward to it. New players, new heros, a whole new generation. Its been so long since we lost, now we have, it will actually make next seasons league victory feel better.

The_Bhoy and Mr Diggler like this.
  17. cfcturbo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thomas burns
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Skibereen by wolfe tones
    selling dembele and the french contigency downing tools

18. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Lennon is to blame, he should have walked long before he did. He is very much to blame for this season.

He is a * parasite and showed he only wanted the money cause he will never get another managers job.

19. s88 Gold Member Gold Member

I admire the positive outlook but disagree with Lennon's purchases. Yes those players were great for us but I believe it was just the right place at the right time, and Lennon didn't have anything to do with their purchase. If there's anything the past 10 years have shown, it's that the board more often than not play a part in transfers, and as I say, I think Lennon was the lucky one in charge at the time where the board managed to get the purchases on point.

20. Mr Diggler

I think one of the biggest issues has been hiring Lennon and not giving him the authority to bring in his own backroom team. It is no way to run a club having hand picked guys already in place and expecting the guy you hire to work with them. Any manager worth his salt needs to bring in his team and guys he trusts. Lawell the micro manager however likes to thrust guys into the hotseat and as I say hand pick who he will work with. Both Deila and Lennon suffered because of that. There didnt seem to be much chemistry between Lennon and Kennedy and Strachan just added to the kind of weirdness in the whole setup. It never felt right.