1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Potential Manager Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CountyDownFaithful, Nov 5, 2020.

Discuss Potential Manager Suggestions? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. kinglenny

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Gerry Adams?

2. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Whenever i think of Clarke i just remember when Killie got beat off that Welsh team Connah’s Quay

3. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Cannae believe so many people would actually choose Steve Clarke given the choice.

His brand of football is dreadful, he has the charisma of a toothbrush and the only reason he’s even being mentioned is recency bias because David Marshall saved a pen to take us to the Euro’s. Don’t get me wrong, he managed to muddle together an organised Scotland side but...

Good coach by all accounts but there’s a lot more facets required to be a Celtic manager.

Bonobhoy, TonyTim and MusselburghBhoy like this.
  4. TransferBhoy

For a balanced view, Brendan Rodgers got beat of Lincoln Red Imps

5. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    I’d have rather have Robert Wagner. That fella made a total balls up of it at Huddersfield. As with a lot of Poundland Klopps, he came from the Bundesliga intent on pressing, sexy football, and flattered to deceive.

Petrescu I would take, but he didn’t half talk garbage about us in the run up to the Cluj games.

If we were targeting a continental manager (which I think is a good shout), I’d rather go with the guy from Slavia Prague that was linked/suggested a few months ago on this thread.

6. James Gold Member Gold Member

That was Alessio who was in charge not Clarke

littlekennie, AdamRS and JC Anton like this.
  7. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Just think he makes the most of any squad he's given, made Scotland and Killie difficult to beat..

Hes worked as assistant at Liverpool and Chelsea so have no doubt he'd be able to deliver an attacking style of football if required..

Like I say its a non-starter as we need someone totally focused on us and our rebuild, the timing isn't right.

8. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Naw - your using the name ‘TransferBhoy’ (some nick btw) plus continually posting ‘updates’ is you trying to paint yersel as ITK.

12 y/o boy stuff. Have a word.

Senna s1979 likes this.
  9. TransferBhoy

Someone’s woke up the wrong side of bed this morning. Have a coffee and chill Martin.

10. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Any time he’s changed tact with Scotland and went on the front foot he’s lost. He gets results by using defensive discipline and organisation, he’s arguably the worst possible fit of any of the folk being mentioned for me.

I’d be devastated if he was appointed.

11. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

He wouldn't be anywhere near my 1st pick but I'd much rather him than any rookie big name eg. Lampard, Keane, Maresca etc.

He's done well in every job he's been in basically.

12. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Is Clarke capable of setting up a team that can break down the defensive set ups we regularly come up against

13. cat123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields Of Athenry
    I think he would be a safe pair of hands and the guy has been successful in both his playing, coaching and managerial career.

He's not a sexy appointment but we could do a lot worse. I wouldn't be disappointed if he was brought in.

He seems to improve existing players and bring on youth players too.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  14. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    My bad mate i thought it was Clarke

Seen online that Maresca only joined Man City in September 2020, can’t see him wanting to leave already.

James likes this.
  15. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

I’m not sure he would fancy it either. Don’t think he could be bothered dealing with a certain support in the country. Also with the World Cup only next year I would think he would want a crack at the qualifiers for that, while the squad is good and high on confidence.

16. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Lampard and Keane definitely not. I don’t know what Marseca is about or can bring so can’t comment.

In terms of ‘doing well’, that’s a matter of opinion. He was sacked by WBA and Reading. He made Killie a solid and organised side but played on, as Livi have, their artificial park and used it to the fullest. Qualifying for a major tournament was a huge achievement but the groundwork had already been done by others. People forget we were pumped 4 nil twice in qualifying and had Marshall not saved the penalty to take us through his name wouldn’t even be on folks lips.

17. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

What we are absolutely crying out for just now is a modern and progressive manager capable of building his own side and quickly implementing his methods.

Clarke would get us organised and he’d make us hard to beat against better sides but what about the 90% of domestic games we’re expected to win and win in style?

18. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

Tout

kinglenny likes this.
  19. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    You can't see him wanting to leave to become a full manager in his own right, if the opportunity arose, rather than stay there as head of development?

20. eddiemcd1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larson
    If we look at this realistically:

Steve Clark.
    Has all the experience and knowledge of the Scottish game. ( no risk )
    He did exceptionally well with his stint at Kilmarnock and indeed as Scotland manager
    He knows how to set up a team defensively ( when there is a need to do so )
    I think yes...offensively he will have to change ( but I believe he will )

He applied for the job previously and again management made a hash of it and gave it to Ronnie

I think he is low risk for the board and I think if he gets the job - he will be a great appointment