1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I never said he was solely responsible for every defeat I listed but I could just turn that round & say that he hasn't been solely responsible for every trophy won in his time here that you've listed either. The fact is you said he's rarely let us down which isn't true, that's all I was disputing hence the long list of examples, he's let us down on a number of occasions & in all the defeats I listed he was poor in many of them.

Also, everything isn't black & white in the way you're trying to portray it, you mention 6 league cups, but look at his performance in the league cup final last season, he was poor, along with the rest of the team excluding Forster, without Forster that day it would have been a humiliating defeat, that day wasn't an example of great leadership from Brown & it's not a great example of why he should still be starting games of such magnitude.

For me Brown is one of the biggest factors in why we've struggled in so many European games over the last decade, he's had more shockers than good performances in that environment, midfield is where the game is mostly won or lost, for me he's always been too limited a player in possession at that level overall, too slow in possession to keep the play moving at a quick tempo, with the vast majority of his passes sideways or backwards, which has hindered many of our performances & the overall dynamic of the team in Europe. He's had some belting performances too don't get me wrong, I don't know what Brendan done to him in the Invincible season but he was incredible that season, his performance against Man City at home was his best ever European performance for us imo, not only was he constantly winning back possession but he was also getting the ball moved forward at pace straight after it with a high level of accuracy, however, those kind of performances were all too rare from Brown in Europe.

But I think we're going to have a lot more success going forward in Europe over the next decade without him in midfield. Time will tell on that.
    It's not pish though, he slows the team down, he takes too long to pick a pass & when he does the vast majority of the time it's sideways or backwards, he also struggles to keep up with play for 90 mins like he used to, he's slow to tackles & challenges that he'd get to in the past, makes many late tackles because of his loss in mobility & pace which gives the opposition too many fouls & sometimes in dangerous positions, his ability to close down players & block shots in time has also evaporated from his game hugely.

As I say, it's just an unnecessary risk to start him in a game of such magnitude, if he gets selected it's solely on sentimentality & not ability, that's not a legitimate reason to select a player, his leadership can still be utilized off the pitch instead of on the pitch as he reaches this point in his career. Lastly, I'd be questioning where his head is at going into this game, knowing that the fans now prefer Soro to him in his position, that's hardly going to inspire him imo, if he knows he's no longer going to be starting league games after the weekend, then it's a dangerous mindset to play him in a game with so much riding on it.

I say play it safe & stick with Soro ahead of him, at the final whistle it'll be Brown lifting the Quadruple Treble anyway & that's all that matters.

freitassen and Forestbhoy66 like this.
  2. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    In a season where I've seen Lenny called all sorts of things I would never have thought possible, this opinion here is still the most surprising one I've seen from a Celtic fan so far this year.
    I literally could not disagree with you more here.

scootz, stew37 and saltire78 like this.
  3. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Funnily enough I remember the 2007 Scottish cup final was a 35 year old Lennon s last game as captain and wee Strachan subbed him in the 65th minute for Caldwell and he stormed up the tunnell with his wee face tripping him, we went onto win the cup so right decision and he managed to come out his wee huff and come out and lift the trophy

4. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Fair enough, but midfield is probably the most important area of the pitch in terms of how the overall performance of the team will go & as to whether the game is won or not, it's my opinion that he's one of the biggest factors as to why we've usually struggled in Europe against so many teams of small, equal or bigger budgets since he signed, you don't agree with that fair enough but it's my opinion. Now obviously he's not the only player in that time to blame imo so please don't get it twisted, I just think he's one of the biggest factors in it.

The common denominator in many of our European failures & poor performances is Brown in midfield, for me that's no coincidence but if you disagree then as I say fair enough.

freitassen likes this.
  5. Mr. Slippyfist

Your perception is admirable :34:

6. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    I see the line about no fans was rolled out in the AGM today. And went even further with it saying it has affected us more than most teams in Europe.

I would take that with a hefty pinch of salt.

TheWolf likes this.
  7. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    They'll be quick to point to real Madrid and Barcelona, even stupid enough to point to the two Manchester clubs, but bottom line is this affects everyone.
    The two Milan's, Juventus, at.madrid, Bayern, psg, Lyon, Huns, Chelsea, spurs, Liverpool, Ajax, psv, the two Prague's, midjtyland, Kiev, Donetsk, sporting, benfica, Porto....

We get the point.
    It's not affecting any of them.
    They are just desperate to blame something, someone, anything but themselves for this mess.

No fans in the stadium and the lack of the 12th Man to push us on is noticed, but noticed only in Hun games and Europe to be honest. Otherwise the squad is more than capable enough to still win games regardless.
    And most certainly not to have went on the run of 2 in 12 that we may have just got over.

No excuses for that apart from them looking inwards.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

TheWolf likes this.
  8. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

I’m not completely against the idea for this game no but I don’t like the idea of him “deserving” it for sentimental reasons.

9. DonnyCelt

I can back the team but I cannot back Lennon

10. freitassen

I wouldn't play Klimala alone either but rather with a striker partner

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

12. saltire78

100% this...

Sadly, all things run their course and come to an end, no matter what we want, and Broonie is there unfortunately. He's given everything his legs can give and the engine just isn't there anymore.

BUT... and it's a huge BUT! Anyone saying saying that he's been anything other than the absolute lynchpin and foundation of a lot of our achievements, domestically and in Europe for the last number of years is either clueless, has allowed recent time to warp their perspective or is pushing some agenda here...

13. oh bhoy

so what if he plays brown and ntcham and loses the match the * still wont be sacked

14. Bayern Bru Gold Member Gold Member

did that wee huff actually happen? I was in the south stand that day and I remember the physio taping his leg as if he had a knock.

15. SteveyNico67

Just this
    Fantastic post

Brown will start. I’m almost 100%.
    He might win MOTM
    LOL

Hadouken likes this.
  16. SteveyNico67

Hear hear
    Fabulous points

Makes it sound like Brown is * tho: he’s not. In the past, he’s had players playing in front of him pulling up trees, making him look better.

There’s no way he should start this final.
    I’ll now after reading all this be angry if his name is on the team sheet Sunday.

RogicHasMagicToes likes this.
  17. SteveyNico67

No, it’s not

18. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    OOOOOOOH yes it is ...:56:

Random Review likes this.
  19. TheWolf Waiting on the next Full Moon

I can see both sides of the debate and both have valid points but for me Brown has to start in this game. We all know and so does he that he is at the twilight of his career but I think his experience in captaining high pressure cup final games will be key. He's also had a couple of weeks to rest and if you like fully prepare mentally and physically for this game. To be honest its the first time in my life I won't be too bothered if we lose this game, for me and stating the obvious for everyone I think its about the 10 the season but with Brown starting and playing and also Griffiths I believe we will still win it.

Random Review likes this.
  20. SteveyNico67

It’s a Quadruple Treble Cup Final
    Giving players chance to make history that will never again be repeated by probably any team, ever - most certainly not on Scottish Shores
    Would give the players a boost as we approach the battery-charging Dubai trip which usually results in us coming back and smashing aside anything domestically - while the Deadco are due some injuries / COVID / the odd game draw or loss / loss of form / players sold

... abs despite all this - you wouldn’t be ‘too bothered’ if we lose.

Staggering.