1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Trequartista

See if Lennon was anywhere near the Celtic man that folk are quick to proclaim, he’d do what’s best for the club he ‘loves’ and resign.

I know folk can argue that the board should have acted before now and rightly so, but if they aren’t then he should. His legacy here is already tainted because of this season alone. Nobody will forget what he’s done as player and a manager, but he’ll be remembered for having a huge part in our failure to win the 10, should nothing change.

greengrocer likes this.
  2. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Bournemouth are a smaller club than dutd with limited budget compared to other epl teams I don’t think guardiola could do what he did with that team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

NEIL LENNON insists he WON'T quit and vowed he can still turn Celtic's season around.

The Hoops crashed out of the Europa League after back-to-back 4-1 defeats to Sparta Prague

A growing number of fans want the Northern Irishman sacked but Lennon remains adamant that he's still the man for the job.

Asked if he can salvage the crisis-hit campaign, he said: "Yeah of course. I've been in situations like this before as a manager and a player.

There's no reason for me to believe that we won't turn it around.

"They’re an excellent group. I think they are just lacking a little bit of unity at the moment. I don’t know if it’s because we’re living through a pandemic and it’s not normal.

There’s things that are maybe out of their control a little bit and I think they’re missing the atmosphere in the stadiums as well. So we have to try and remedy that, adapt to it.

"I don’t think it’s a major footballing issue. I think it’s more psychological, really."

Celts took the lead through an Odsonne Edouard goal after 15 minutes.

But Sparta hit back to with goals before half-time - and another two in the second half.

It means Lennon’s side have now conceded a whopping 21 GOALS in their last nine games.

But he refused to slam his defence, adding: "I thought after half-time for 35 minutes we were superb, I thought we deserved to get back into the game.

Things aren’t going for us at the minute. Trying to be positive and we got caught on the counter attack for the third goal and we lost the game on that moment.

"Overall there were a lot of good things, certainly far better than the performance three weeks ago even though the scoreline turns out to be the same.

"That’s two defeats to Sparta now. But I thought the performance was nowhere near as disjointed or as bad as it was two weeks ago.

And I felt we deserved better out of the game. That has to be something we’ve positive about."

With the European campaign now dead and buried, Celtic must try to save their league season.

The Hoops trail Rangers by 11 points in their quest for Ten and know there can be no more margin for error if they are to close the gap on Steven Gerrard's rampant side.

However, Lennon remains bullish and takes confidence from his side's form in the second half of last season following the December Old Firm defeat.

He added: "I know this group better than anybody. At the end of last year when we lost to Rangers everyone wrote us off and we were getting slaughtered from everyone and sundry whether it be our own supporters or everyone else in the game saying that the league was over.

"We've been here before and we put a great run together in the second half of the season.

"This feels a little bit different, it feels like we have a bit more work to do but we're quite confident we will turn it around.

"We've got a lot of work to do catching up in the league but it's not beyond us though, far from it."

Artorias likes this.
  4. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Well, that’s a depressing start to the day.

RiquelmeCSC and MacEwan like this.
  5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Aw come on it’s Friday

Get some beers down you.

6. Bazza Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Its a grand old team to play for
    He looks like a deer in the headlights.

He's being fed up to the press and its a shame, he's out of his depth.

I'd rather we done a mutual consent deal and he can walk away with his head held high

Random Review likes this.
  7. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    That interview * *. Don’t even know where to start

8. Andybhoy93

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    I wish I could be a fly on the wall in that dressing room, it must be terrible in there

9. Pearse67*

Zero tactics, persists with tactics we dont have the players to utilise.

4231, brown is done and mcgregor isnt a dm.

tried 352 but we dont have the wingers.

the team honestly look like a * school team where anyone can go where they like, an absolute utter * shambles.

I feel he has dug himself into a hole and doesnt want to walk, maybe believes he can turn it around, doesnt want to be remembered as the manager who walked during the ten, but sadly i believe the ten is gone. It lies with the board now to do the right thing.

Look at the huns for example, not too long ago we were steamrolling them with most of the current side, tavernier was getting done rotten by sinclair, davis is 35, kamara came from dundee, the difference is they now have a bit of tactics, they have a plan, they look fit and determined.
    Look at us ffs.

On paper we are the better side, the better squad, but lack of training, tactics, something isnt right.

Clear the management and backroom team now.

10. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hard to choose ... different players for different era's
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Lenny thinks he can turn it around but no timeframe given. We were second to every ball last night, no shape, no closing down just a group of individuals going through the motions.

He has had 4 months to sort this * out. Our players look off the pace and cant defend, cant pass and all just raise their arms when we lose goals. Sadly Lennon can't even tell us what tactics or shape we are meant to be playing.

Anybody who is still backing him has my respect for their loyalty but the reality is he has absolutely no plan to turn things around. 100% the league has gone and Lennon will leave when we have no chance to allow anyone to make any difference. When the manager thinks we played excellent during a 4-1 loss then he is only deluding himself because the fans are not buying it.

11. Andybhoy93

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    What I didn't get from the post march interview was he said he's had tougher situations as manager

12. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    Using words like “superb” after a 4-1 defeat is just delusional and embarrassing.
    He won’t walk away from a big money contract and why should he but it’s time for Lawwell to get him paid off so that we can move on.
    It’s obvious that this is the best way forward and should happen today.

13. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I guess post March we’d just gone into full lockdown. Must of been hard but he’s had harder personally.

Valhalla and Artorias like this.
  14. Andybhoy93

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    * auto correct post match interview:56:

Artorias and MacEwan like this.
  15. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    Lennon must go, he's a fake tan away from Trump levels of delusions.

16. DEADEYECFC

Fav Celtic Player:
    teemu pukki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Now julien has come out and backed him the players must be loving the days off in training he wont be sacked he wont leave and i wont spend days refreshing this page for a leak * be given the next run of domestic games to get "confidence" and hope them other * drop points we will labour to wins paper the cracks and jan 2nd will come well fall to * and they will replace him it will be too late then i hope come the end of the season neil and scott lift the ten and someone quoted this saying get it up yeeee however thats a fools hope the ssme hope i had that we would get a redult last night hes said it a couple of times now.... We played our best team tonight yet we got *... if he can get fraser in i think we have a good chance your looking at goals we concede and thinking a decent keeper talks and controls his defence

17. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    That's what I want too, mate.

18. Tomas

Needs a reality check and a boss who takes him aside to advise him that it's over, allowing him to resign and avoid being sacked. Neil's mindset means hes not a quitter, he'll have to be nudged if not pushed.

19. CountyDownFaithful

The reality has set in this morning that our season is over.

We are past the point of repair IMO. Lennon is delusional, he put last night result down to things not falling for us but that stats tell a completely different story. We can dominate possession but it’s what you do with it that matters.

We now have a manager who refuses to concede that he’s not the man to turn this around. The board will pay for this if they don’t act now.

Dublin Celt, Moore and King of Kings like this.
  20. Sydneysider

The Huns over the last two/three seasons have focussed on bringing in players who actually "get" or want to play for rangers, and actually want to stay at the club. They are a team. For us its a perfect storm, they are playing well great morale, decent if slimy manager, and we are stumbling along.

Our business model ( like many smaller EU clubs) is based on buying development prospects who will benefit from high profile exposure and selling them on within their contract for a big mark-up. Suits the player and his agent and has allowed Celtic to remain strong or at least sound financially, but does little to encourage any team spirit. Boyata, Boli, K Dembele, Ntcham, Julien and Edouard are recent or current examples.

Problem is when these "investment" players dont improve or when they want to move on for the promised glamour move but the buyers arent there or the price isnt right. Frustration and disruption result, then they become a negative force in the club.

The other problem is that the others, our long term players are aging and slowing and apparently constantly struggling with injuries ( Bitton aged 29 , Forrest 29 etc ) but do just enough to keep their very lucrative contracts going, until they retire or seek an even more lucrative final move ( like Rogic this Summer with his planned move to S Arabia).

Not very cheery picture IMHO