1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Vasilis Barkas

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Callum McGregor, Jul 29, 2020.

Discuss Vasilis Barkas in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    That’s true, but the defence have to do the keeper a favour or two as well.

2. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    Totally agree...and they left him exposed.

But ..come on....he should've saved that easy.

3. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    “Easy” :56:

4. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Both goalkeepers ship in goals that could be saved. To be fair to both, neither is having any howlers that you could say were exclusively their fault. It's a combination of poor defending and merely OK keepers that's causing our woes.

eire4 and Dan Breen like this.
  5. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    Could have done better with the Goldson header for sure. But that is honestly the only goal I can categorically say he carries any blame for.

Dan Breen likes this.
  6. GreenLeanMean

I'd like to see Barkas again. His numbers while at Athens looks impressive and enough to suggest he has some goalkeeping quality.
    We have a great coach in Stevie Woods, who I hope, will bring out the best in Barkas and improve him as a player.

7. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    I would too mate. But it’s looking more and more likely that he’ll be off in January. And I suspect he hasn’t been made to feel all that welcome by Lenny and the ‘lads’. Lenny is so retrograde that he probably buys still buys into the idea that continental keepers can’t be trusted.

Peej likes this.
  8. JamesM09

He just looks like he hasn’t settled. He looks like a man that’s made a mistake moving to Scotland and is looking forward to get back to Greece.

He’s been very poor since he got here. If I could get a decent chunk of my money back I would take it. He could come good eventually but at Celtic we don’t have time to wait.

That being said if he can’t or won’t be shifted he’s welcome to stay and fight for his place. We should be definitely getting another goalie in though.

9. stew37

Honestly dont know what people are seeing when they say he's been very poor. I can't think of anything he's let in where I've thought it was even a mistake and he should definitely have saved it. He should be ahead of Bain.

10. Dubliner1

This lad won't be here for long. Doesn't seem to have a long term future. Lennon is making first team selection based on the feedback from the goalkeeper coach at the club.

11. Lennon1888

The problem is that he's not good or bad, He's * average at best!

12. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I would say that is pretty accurate. Neither keeper has had any real nightmare individual mistakes. Bain has maybe come up with more big saves but has made some errors with his distribution whereas Barkas apart from the Ross County game has not really come up with many big saves but was better with the ball at his feet. Either way there is no question we are worse off in goal right now then last season with Forster.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  13. Dubliner1

That's the issue. Bain is rated higher currently by the coaching staff who work with them day in day out. Remember Bain was 3rd choice last year. Whoever is responsible for the recruitment of the new players this year should be shown the door

14. horseshoe

I'm really not getting it either, I don't think he's a superstar or anything but it's not like he's been dropping clangers left and right, the amount of goals we've shipped is as much to do with the way the team in front of him is playing, bbc article today comparing ours and the huns stats and we've had something like 40+ more shots at our goal than they have, teams are getting through us and creating chances far too easily.

15. Lennon1888

Aye and we don't have a Forster to save them all, We have an average keeper just to put in between the sticks to get 11 on the field.

16. JamesM09

There’s been several goals he should’ve done better at.

If you watch youth goalies that don’t make it, it’s not because they have clangers, it’s because they don’t shot-stop.

He’s not making big saves at all. See when we play against * SPFL teams, you don’t have to go more than 3 games before you see a big save, and those are * goalies.

He’s not just there to make easy saves and avoid clangers.

Ciaran_67 and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  17. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Agree. To be fair, he'd look better if the defense in front of him was competent. Now, anyone bar a Forster/Boruc equivalent will look *.

JamesM09 likes this.
  18. JamesM09

That’s true. I don’t know much about him before he got here. I can understand it could be just bad timing and settling issues so I would give him a chance if we couldn’t shift him and he showed hunger to stay.

Likewise, we’re a big club and can’t * about taking a chance that he might come good. Need an alternative in in January.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  19. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Name them, and neither hun goals count because he’s blameless for them.

20. JamesM09

Not going to sit and go through all the goals he conceded.

Name his big saves then explain why the £4.5m goalie can’t get in the team ahead of Bain despite no obvious clangers. He’s obviously been *.

Also you’re surely not sitting saying he’s been blameless in every goal for * sake. He obviously could be doing better.