1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Christie

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by LloydsGamble, Aug 28, 2015.

Discuss Ryan Christie in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic boss Neil Lennon has admitted Scotland hero Ryan Christie wants a different challenge but insists he isn’t itching for a move away from Celtic.

And the Hoops boss is adamant Christie still has plenty to prove at Parkhead as talks continue over an extension to his current deal.

Christie’s contract is up at the end of next season and the 25-year-old said before the international break that he was relaxed about his Celtic situation.

He then boosted his reputation further with the goal against Serbia in the Euro 2020 play-off final that helped take Scotland to their first major finals in 23 years.

The strike in Belgrade took 14-cap Christie’s tally for his country to four this season - just one short of his haul for the champions this season.

Celtic are keen to get him to commit his long term future but Inverness boss John Robertson told how the player fancies a crack abroad following conversations with Christie’s dad Charlie.

And Lennon said: “Ryan has also said he would like a different challenge at some stage in his career. Talks are ongoing between the club and his representatives.

Currently, I think he still has a lot to do and prove here at Celtic and to be fair to him he’s worked really hard the last few games.

There’s been no agitation or dropping off in his intensity level. He’s just like the rest, a little bit inconsistent at times but we understand that.

“I was delighted with his form going into the international break and he carried that on.”

Christie’s emotional post-match interview in Serbia went viral and Lennon was delighted for both his player and his adopted homeland in ending their wait to play on the big stage.

The Irishman said: “Ryan’s interview was absolutely brilliant and it shows how much it means to him. I am sure a lot of people out there watching it could relate to it.

“It’s been a long, long time and football is the main sport in this country. It has given more credibility to the game here and it’s great incentive for the players at the end of the season, something to really look forward to.

“It’s been a long time of being the bridesmaid and they have broken the camel’s back and it’s great for them psychologically.”

With four Hoops stars included in Steve Clarke’s squad - Callum McGregor, Leigh Griffiths and Greg Taylor joined Christie - for the historic occasion, Lennon could reap the benefits as players fight for a place at Euro 2020.

But Lennon insists they should be motivated enough with so much at stake at club level this season. He said: “There will be a huge motivation for him but ultimately my job is to manage Celtic and I want to have a huge motivation playing for us as well, which they have shown consistently over the years.

“They have got a lot to look forward to, from domestic football and the international team, which is great, they have earned it and now they have got to build on it.”

2. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Well pop off to the championship for your different challenge. Personally hes been pish anyway so wont be missed.

cat123 and DonnyCelt like this.
  3. DonnyCelt

Is he one of the players Lennon was referring to after the loss against the Hungarian mob?

How can you want a new challenge but not be looking to get away.

If Christie has said he wants a fresh challenge then he's not 100% committed. There are two many players like this in our squad its actually pathetic.

FezyBhoy and cat123 like this.
  4. FranceCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - McGregor, Past - Lubo
    The only challenge anyone at the club should be thinking about is to smash the longstanding record by winning the 10. Then do what you want.

cat123 and Doogs. like this.
  5. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Get shot of him in January if he wants a different challenge. He’s slightly above average at best anyway.

6. cat123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields Of Athenry
    I want him off the books in January could tell he's not been as committed as he was before.

He has been really inconsistent. This adds some weight to the constant rumours he's been wanting away. He only started playing half decent for us last season and now he's wanting a new challenge? He's not in the same league as Rogic who has been very committed to us for years.

7. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Important player but needs punted if he's not committed. Same reason I'd have sold Eddie and a few others in the summer.

8. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Get the greedy * tae *! He really does have ideas above his station, oh and * his Da anaw the *.

Free the Adblock and RiquelmeCSC like this.
  9. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    He's *, has wee odd moments.

And as I had said previously his stats hid that he is actually gash at making opportunities. That and he's better than Armstrong, aye right.

The next time I see that high inswinging cross go out for a gk I'm gonna scream.

Defo sell in January, one of those idiot English teams will spend silly. On him.

10. DonnyCelt

Sell in January not as good a player as he thinks he is

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  11. mayo

Get big ears to *

12. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

This. Chase the *, he's * infuriating to watch. Passing is *, set pieces are * and he's a greedy *.

Runs about a lot though.

Doogs. and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  13. blackfish Screaming from beneath the waves...

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    His tactical awareness is poor. He’s a greedy bandit and he’s not as good as him and his da think he is.

if he’s supposed to be in the right to help Frimpong he doesn’t and he leaves the wee guy exposed the whole game. He runs about and now and again he pulls off a stunning goal and a great pass.

At most cross balls he should be done with it and just hand it to the first man.

the whole team need to get their fingers out though, but that crying after the Scotland game sickened me. Self promoting pish. I don’t see any crying for Celtic and we pay his wages. Any Celtic player worth his salt would have been at Steve Clarke saying he needed a rest or had a niggle for that * in Israel the other night, but no! Alfred E Neuman ran himself into the ground again for an SFA who aided and abetted and then covered up the theft of sporting integrity from the guys that pay his wages.

he can take his Scotland showcasing and shove that right up his *.

14. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Him crying after helping his country reach their first major tournament in 22 years, and making himself a hero in the process, sickened you?

I know I’m a negative * but * me.

15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He's been ridiculously greedy all season..

16. oh bhoy

You are never gonna get the best out of someone playing them out of position after McGregor ,Christie is the best central midfielder we have. what in the name of * is Lennon doing playing him at rm ?,it's every bit as stupid as playing McGregor at lb!

Mickmac likes this.
  17. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

I've been moaning about the * for months . Thankfully others are joining in now :giggle1:

18. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    True, but there are only 2 alternatives: change to a single wide pair formation (4-4-2 diamond), or play Frimpong in front of Elhamed.

19. oh bhoy

He could play frimpong,dembele,klimala,ntcham any number of players at rm and keep the best central midfielders where they should be

20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Wee *..

Plastic Tim as well..

Out the door son..

Free the Adblock likes this.
  21. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I don't think Klimala should be wasted there. Ntcham can't be arsed. Switching to a diamond until Forrest recovers is best.