1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Bonobhoy

Maybe strachan will be better, or kennedy at this point....what im saying is that any big hitters aint taking us just now,not 1/3 into a season,11 points behind and with the money issues our board has and always had.

We are trully * here,and for the 100th time in here,i agree he should be gone.

2. Mr. Slippyfist

why on earth would I regret that?

3. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

:40:

Ginger lives matter.

Keano88, Pablo87, Cena and 1 other person like this.
  4. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

There's no 'big hitter' taking us now, or in the summer.

Operation downsize kicks off 1 June 2021. And we need 30m+ worth of players out the door before 30 June to break even.

JC Anton likes this.
  5. Mr. Slippyfist

Best take a Neil.....I mean knee

6. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    It's totally irrelevant, that's our problem. There's no correlation between managerial acumen and weight or physical attractiveness. I bet you would bite Bielsa's hand off for example. I certainly would.

So why slate Lenny on these things? It comes across as abuse for abuse's sake.

7. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

Here, was in the middle of writing a fairly lengthy post but let's simplify it.

- Beaten at home by Ferencvaros, Rangers, AC Milan & Sparta Prague.
    - Failed to qualify for CL again, and practically out of Europe after 3 group games.
    - Could go 11 points behind in the League today.
    - Manager hasn't settled on his best formation, or his best XI nearly halfway through the season.
    - Team lacks shape and struggles to control games.
    - Failure to control counter-attacks consistently and very leaky defence.
    - Good players making basic errors and bad decisions.
    - Key players off-form for long spells, and some players appearing unhappy/unmotivated.

There is enough there to suggest we're moving in the wrong direction. Lennon did a great job after Rodgers, steering us to a treble and sealing 9IAR last year, but it's becoming clear it's not working this season and there are multiple areas of concern. I feel like he's had ample time to correct things, but it hasn't happened.

This season is still very much salvagable, but at this stage I'm completely unconvinced Lennon is the man to do it. There are tactical issues to sort, and the mood in general needs to be lifted.

Keano88, ciaran72, TIART and 11 others like this.
  8. Mr. Slippyfist

You’ve literally just called Bielsa ugly ffs :56::56:

9. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

You should know better than trying to debate with oor @Padmill :56:

10. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I can't argue with any of that (yes, I know I was until Prague).

11. Brian Dunphy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Merry Plougboy
    Anybody who thinks Neil should stay on should be in the loony bin

Twisty likes this.
  12. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Not really, mate. I know it's unlikely I'll win with him, but on this occasion, he's wrong regardless of whether he wins the debate. There's no real basis for assassinating Lenny's character and attacking his appearance is 100% irrelevant abuse.

It's Lenny. I can't not say something, even if I come off worse from the argument.

13. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    No, he's old and overweight and no longer conventionally attractive to certain people. I just wanted to give an example of a world-class manager who isn't (anymore) attractive in that sense. I don't think he's ugly.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  14. Mr. Slippyfist

You’re the one who brought Bielsa into the discussion based on his appearance yet are having a pop at me because I called Lennon a ginger * or something.

Do you not realise your hypocrisy? :43:

15. SuperZidane

Rodgers left because his relationship with Lawwell was broken by PL ****ing up the John McGinn transfer by being cheap and then acting as a Director of Football (again). Once that happened, it was all downhill as illustrated by Rodger's comment about not having even seen one of the players that Celtic bought in Jan 19 i.e. PL did it and Rodgers wasn't consulted.

I'm not defending the way Rodgers left but that stuff about him seeing the "Writing on the wall" is BS - we had won the League Cup, were 8 points clear in the league and were well on the way to a 3rd treble. He simply wasn't prepared to put up with PLs interference. He could afford to tell PL to stuff it because he knew that he would have a choice of big clubs interested in him. Lennon will struggle to get another job hence he is pretty much a total yes man to PL.

Lennon lost the dressing room at Hibs because the players had had enough of him tearing into individual players and went together to the board demanding he went. That's another illustration of Lennon's ego - Alex Ferguson was renowned for the hairdryer - he was also a world class manager whose grasp of tactics and coaching earned him the respect of the players. Unfortunately Lennon is more renowned for his lack of tactical knowledge - look how far the club has regressed under him.

I think it's clear that he has lost the dressing room. Players know when they are working for a manager who they can learn from and improve them as players. I think the Celtic players (particularly the ones that were there under Rodgers) know that they won't learn anything from Lennon - apart from the lack of tactical awareness, the team is definitely not as fit. I honestly believe that Lennon hasn't got a clue about Sports science and the professional approach that Rodgers brought to the club.

Then there's Lennon's old "faithful" - throw the players under the bus and deflect any blame from yourself.

It may not be as confrontational as Hibs but I think Lennon has lost the respect of the players (or as much as he ever had). They're probably fed up with **** tactics, **** training and then being hammered in public by the so-called manager.

Certainly Eddie + possibly Christie may want to move on but with the right manager, I believe they would play out of their skins this season - enhancing both their own reputations and their valuations so both they and the club benefit.

This isn't one or two players having a sulk - this is across the team and that's down to the manager not the players.

16. Brian Dunphy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Merry Plougboy
    Right anybody got any pictures of Bielsa in the 80's when he was younger so we can put this to bed?

Keano88 and charlietully like this.
  17. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

I half-agree.

It's something that's never an issue when we're winning, but there was a game recently - I think Motherwell - when his appearance/body language really bothered me. I never really said on here because I'm not sure it would have been taken well.

He came out at the start of the game and at half-time with his hoody and gillet on. His hood was half-up, his head was down, hands in pockets and was just kind of trudging down the stairs from the stand to the dugout. You probably only notice theese things when results aren't great, but he looked like he'd just rolled out of bed and that doesn't really present an image of being prepared and ready for the game.

18. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

So many sensitive souls on here. “Don’t say that about my Lenny!” Jesus * christ. You don’t know him personally, so don’t get so offended. It’s weird.

People are happy to dish out abuse to players but can’t see a bad word written about Neil Francis Lennon.

And it’s just astonishing the lengths people are going to to still back him, or find reasons not to sack him. “Who would we get?” “Yeah but would that guy really do any better?”

We’ve won 2 games in the last 8 and are about to be 11 points behind the huns. It wouldn’t be very difficult to find a manager who would do better than that. Just draw names out of a hat and we’ll find someone more competent.

Mr. Slippyfist likes this.
  19. Mr. Slippyfist

Tactically we are all over the place.

that is down to Lennon (nothing to do with his appearance :32:)

Lennon tactically skelped by hun management who are technically not tactically very good.

Manager who continually berates his players on the press for not giving enough, whilst never acknowledging his own failings.

There is one common denominator in this whole debacle, and it’s the ginger one in the dugout...

Martybhoy53 likes this.
  20. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Because you were abusing Lenny's appearance. I chose an example of a world-class manager who shares many of Lennon's physical characteristics that you were criticising Lennon for. This was to show that criticising Lenny's appearance is abuse. It's a technique called immanent critique (where you critique a position on its own terms to show its inconsistency) and doesn't imply I share your assumptions about physical attractiveness. But you knew that already (I remember how razor sharp you were), you're just relying on the fact that other people might not to avoid my point.

As a short, grey-haired, overweight 43-year-old, actually criticising Bielsa's appearance would be self-abuse on my part. I'm not into self-abuse.