1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

David Turnbull

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by GavCFC1, Aug 27, 2020.

Discuss David Turnbull in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I do see why he's not been in the team though, he isn't the quickest and he is more of an attacking midfielder. I think we signed him to be competition in the 10 and replace Christie when he leaves but we were struggling to score goals when we came in and we lacked pace which he wouldn't really have fixed. He did start the other week as well and he was pretty quiet, doesn't have the physicality of Ntcham although hes poor defensively as well so we could have played him instead but we don't know much about him and maybe he is just too weak or slow to play deeper and would add to our problems.

We should be playing him in Europe though as thats when we can actually see him under no pressure as we've nothing to lose nobody is interested and he's free to make mistakes there so we should have used him against AC.

2. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

Anyone else hear that his stat that was mentioned during the game?

Sure they said he had created the most chances this season at 29 in the Premiership which had just recently been bettered.

That’s a phenomenal stat considering his lack of game time here so far. Just shows he was an absolute stand out for Motherwell.

Get him in the team ffs.

neilly1987, charlietully and Keano88 like this.
  3. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    It's true although it's not actually been bettered yet.

Christie and Newell are on 28 in 2nd and Kent on 26 in 4th although hes played on average about 350 minutes less than those players.

Turnbull averages a chance created every 19.4 minutes, Christie 25.6 minutes, Newell 34.6 minutes and Kent 35.2 minutes.

For Celtic Turnbull has averged a chance created every 14.6 minutes. 9 in only 132 minutes of playing.

4. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

Thought they said it had been bettered but that is an incredible stat.

Has to be in the team with a stat like that. That’s nearly 4 games less he has played than the rest and he is still top!

And some people think Ntcham should be in the team over him
    :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

5. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Funnily enough he has played almost exactly the same amount of minutes as Ntcham.

Turnbull 563 minutes, 29 chances created, 20 shots hit
    Ntcham 562 minutes, 9 chances created, 8 shots hit

49 attempts at goal from Turnbull basically compared to 17 from Ntcham in the exact same time on the park. Nearly 3 to 1.

6. DuffyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Petrov/Calmac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    lonesome boatman
    Maybe is a few weeks, when his confidence is rock bottom and he's not match fit, he'll get a run of games.

neilly1987 likes this.
  7. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

That’s absolutely wild considering Turnbull was playing for Motherwell for nearly all of that minutes.

Just confirms to me what I already knew… Ntcham offers very little to the team apart from a wee spell here and there which isn’t enough for a Celtic player.

Turnbull will win you games going by that stats whether it be an assist or goal. We need that kind of player in the side.

It’s not like Ntcham is a defensive midfielder and that’s why he has poor goal/assist stats. Scoring/assisting is what his game should be all about as a box to box midfielder!

8. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Got to give him a chance now.

9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    No ready yet..

Bossed the game against Hibs when he came on..

Struggled a bit at McDiarmid when the whole side did..

Hasn't really got a sniff since..

Would be understandable if he was from a foreign league and adapting. This is a boy who's been dominating and collecting motm awards game after game in our league this season for a * struggling Motherwell..

What's the point even trying to work out the mindset of those in charge..

They’ve completely lost the faith of the majority of the support now in my opinion. No one trust's them..

charlietully likes this.
  10. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Didn't he pick us over Norwich cos he was gonna get game time ?

martin_d likes this.
  11. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    We signed him, we should play him.

martin_d likes this.
  12. Wizard of Oz

Wasn't too thrilled with signing him but it's time to give him the chance to show how good he is.

neilly1987 likes this.
  13. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Might be an idea to loan him out in January to get him game time. Either that or move him above N'tcham in the pecking order and get him sold. It's not doing him any good getting 5 minutes here and there. He was probably signed for next season.

14. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

I am getting to the stage as well where I wonder what the point is. Like you said we will never be able to distinguish what their mindset is.

But like you said this isn’t just a promising 16/17 year with potential. This is a young player who has come in to a poor Motherwell side and bossed games, scoring, assisting and picking up MOTM awards. What more can we ask for than that?

I don’t understand how Lennon can possibly look at Ntcham just now and think he is the better option over Turnbull. I would understand if Ntcham was a solid defensive mid that really helped us break up play etc but he doesn’t offer anything defensively and doesn’t offer anywhere near enough in terms of goals and assists either. Turnbull might not be the best defensively either but he clearly is a real threat in an attacking sense going by the stats posted above.

stew37 and McChiellini.. like this.
  15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Put it this way..

If Turnbull gave away that penalty before half time. He wouldn't be seen again for month's..

Dan Breen and _DannyBhoy_ like this.
  16. charlietully

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Would dearly love to see this guy start today. Even if Lenny is still having his Ntcham love in, surely the fact that he played on Thurs and looked absolutely * means that this guy deserves his chance. Even with so little game time he is one of top assist providers in league. This game suits him to a tee and a start would give his confidence a real shot. He could be the little spark we need right now..

17. CountyDownFaithful

Tad concerned about his lack of game time. It was only recently he came back from a potential career ending injury and recaptured his form prior to him signing for us.

He should be getting more minutes. We have spent £3.5m on him and need to give him a fair chance to show why we paid that for him.

The reemergence of Rogic is great news and he should be nailed on starter in the 10 position but I do fear that it hampers Turnbull’s development and opportunity for game time. Turnbull should get the nod ahead of Ntcham for me going forward when it comes to a choice between the two.

He is a young player and I guess it’s a case of him biding his time but I just hope that Lennon and the coaching staff are communicating that to him and letting him know he will get a chance when he’s ready.

18. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    He should be getting more minute's in my opinion..

Particularly home game's to settle in with us on the big pitch..

I'd start him at Fir Park next week as it's a place he's comfortable at..

CountyDownFaithful likes this.
  19. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    He really needs to be getting gametime, Ntcham has been honking for a while now and Brown shouldn't start every game.

20. MyNameIsMartin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and over
    I'm thinking the reason Turnbull isn't starting is the plan to sell Ntcham in Jan and get whatever we can for him. So, in essence, we're keeping him at the shop window as "for sale". Once we've punted him then Turnbull will be rapidly integrated into the team and kickstart his career from there :ynwacelti

Dan Breen likes this.