1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic & Coronavirus and competitions!

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, Mar 2, 2020.

Discuss Celtic & Coronavirus and competitions! in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Of course they should but they were never going to do that. They have created this Nations League pish so they can sell what are essentially friendlies between Italy and the Netherlands or Belgium v The Brits or Portugal and France as competitive games and maximise their TV revenue. They ain't giving that up without a fight.

freitassen and Gioventu like this.
  2. Gioventu UTLR Gold Member

I doubt the FAs would intervene but would expect governments to step in. If this was any other sector causing clear risks such as this they would be shutdown immediately.

3. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    They would have to do it collectively I think. Hypothetically if Scotland or Ireland refused to play international games what sanctions would FIFA/UEFA impose ? They could well penalise them for future tournaments or even kick the associations club sides out of Europe.

4. blackfish Screaming from beneath the waves...

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I wonder who it was at Lothian Health Board that decided on the isolation garbage for Tierney and Christie?

Why Lothian? Where were the team staying? Were they over in salt n sauce land?

Fiona Hunter? Kyle Syme Prentice Lamont?

5. blackfish Screaming from beneath the waves...

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    One saving grace in all of this is that * annoying whistling * won’t be at the semi against Aberdeen (except for the ref)!

Does anyone know who that * is? I’ve patrolled that main stand trying to find the *!

johnboy19 likes this.
  6. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    SPFL in meetings to discuss the early end of this season and how and when it will happen if it has to happen.
    If it happened today on same terms as last season we would be champions.

7. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

They are hardly going to announce a winner after 10 games.

8. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    They wouldnt have a choice as they would have to do so if ordered by Scottish parliament.

9. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

The Scottish Parliament doesn’t make the decision on how the season ends. They just decide if football is allowed to go ahead or not.

If it’s called off soon then you’ve got to be a moron to think a winner will be announced 10 games or even 20 games into it. It’s the last thing anyone should want in here too. Last year was different with such a big gap and so little to play.

StPauli1916 and JML67 like this.
  10. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Think season being called is far too premature.

Sure it may get shut down for two months (max) but it will pick back up at the new year if needed and the season continue from there.

Season would need to be (for me) at least 66% complete, if not 75% complete before anyone should accept a winner. And if that time came it would be on PPG as last season was.

Worst case scenario, the season is scrapped and we start the proposed "tenth" season again when safe to do so.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

11. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Thanks for the insult

12. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

It wasn’t aimed at you. It’s a general statement.

13. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Can see it happening this year ago tbh but doubt it will to after the winter break.

14. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    :50:

15. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    I said before season started this would be an extremely challenging year, too many external factors at play, this 10 won't be a walk in the park although some here thought it was another easy year. now talks of how/when to end the season means this game on saturday is a must win at all costs just in case they call it quits half way through the season. I would say this would be a logical point to end the season if coronavirus problems get worse.

16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

The Celtic Supporters Association have written an open letter to the SFA blasting their decision to allow Hoops stars to report for international duty amid the coronavirus pandemic - and their appointment of John Beaton as the referee for the first derby of the season.

The Scottish champions face Rangers this weekend and will do so without the likes of big-hitters Odsonne Edouard, Ryan Christie, Nir Bitton and potentially Hatem Elhamed. Edouard contracted Covid-19 with France under-21s as did Bitton with Israel while Christie has been forced to self-isolate as has Elhamed, due to being in close contact with others who had the deadly virus.

General Secretary Joe O'Rourke penned the furious letter to chief Maxwell, taking aim at the SFA for 'ignoring players' health being the top priority' and allowing the stars to travel around the world. Mr O'Rourke also complained that his club would be without top players through no fault of their own as Celtic have adhered to all protocols and not returned one positive test within the club to date.

The letter read: "My plan for today was to write once again to SFA Chief Executive Ian Maxwell, but since Mr Maxwell doesn’t answer my emails I won’t waste my time. People like Maxwell and Rod Petrie think they are above the everyday football supporter, that’s always been the case in my time, they think the ordinary everyday football supporter is here to provide them with a comfy chair, both at Hampden Park, and while flying all over the world , and all the trappings of grandeur they think goes with their positions within Scottish Football.

"I would like to ask Mr Maxwell why he has sat back and let FIFA/UEFA dictate to professional clubs that they need to let their players fly all around the world during a pandemic which has killed over one million people so far. Obviously the most successful clubs provide the most of these players, and therefore are most at risk, and that club in Scotland is undoubtedly Glasgow Celtic FC. We have now lost the services of at least three first pick players for Saturday’s Glasgow Derby, and we still have Wednesday night’s games to contend with.

The players involved health comes first, that goes without saying, and that should always be the case. So why should we increase the chances of them catching the virus by letting them meet up with teammates from all over the world? Celtic have stated quite clearly that they have tested our players over 2,000 times without having one positive case, so when our players leave the relative safety of Lennoxtown, we end up with a massive problem, and none of it our own doing.

"The SFA/SPFL have lost the confidence of Scottish Football Supporters, that’s if they ever had the confidence. You Mr Maxwell, and your colleagues have sat back in your comfy seat and did absolutely nothing to aid the clubs in Scotland, well maybe with the exception of one club, the newest one in the SPL. The silence coming out of Hampden is deafening, there were teams playing all over Europe last night with supporters in attendance, have you put any pressure on the Scottish Government to have fans inside stadiums in Scotland?"

leeso-ardoyne likes this.
  17. TheHappyLoss

I’d definitely get ahead as soon as possible and stay there. This season is already showing cracks due to this pandemic. Can’t see things going smoothly sadly

18. leeso-ardoyne

If that's true, I can see them calling it when if the huns are on top! It's definitely something them * would do. Devastating it would be. Doesn't bare thinking after all them years of winning 9.

19. shieldsybhoy

100%. There's also no way 4 of our players have been affected and none of theirs. Results are being kept quiet as they need all their players to play against us.

20. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    Does anyone know what happens regarding testing? Donwe have our own team to provide results or is it nhs?