1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Jonathan Afolabi.

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The Thumb, Aug 17, 2019.

Discuss Jonathan Afolabi. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Solidsnake

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Dundee :99:. Wish we would stop doing business with that rancid scum

Peej likes this.
  2. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Well this is a wee sweetener to say thanks, seeing as we couldn't organise the friendly in the end :lenny2:

3. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    I think Dundee could be a better option especially for a Striker, playing attacking football, pushing for promotion rather than 10 men behind the ball, squeezing out results. Scoring goals should be a confidence booster for him to come on to a game.

Dan Breen likes this.
  4. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Maybe..

He had a good partnership with Nesbit by the sounds of thing's and he's flourishing in the top flight..

Afolabi could've made an impact as well..

Noskeil likes this.
  5. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    An impact where?

6. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Wish we would see more of guys like this, at 20 we should know if he is going to be capable or not of playing for us.

Not like we are shy to give 19 year old strikers a shot, or is it just ones with a price tag and some hype around them we bother with?
    What's the point in signing an 18 year old for the future, if in two years he is getting loaned out to a championship club?
    Surely in that time we have figured out or at least given a game to the lad?

Good luck to the lad though.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

7. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He has to earn his spot on the training ground. Some players just develop more quickly than others, that's why Edouard and Dembele came as near enough first team ready players whereas Afolabi isn't. If he does well on his loan spell then he'll surely earn his chance further down the line.

8. Maestro 08

Could be wrong but I can't think of one striker we've bought in recent memory that if they aren't getting game time almost immediately that then go on to have a good career for us. Same for any striker coming through the youths, Burchill was probably the only proper striker we've brought through that played a decent amount for us and even then it was 2 bit part seasons and then he was off. Even Maloney was more of a wide man or in behind.

Its the one position probably that very little time is afforded to players here. Managers live and die by their strikers and they don't tend to mess about with them. Especially here. That's why whenever we buy someone for up top and you've not seen them after a few months, discounting injury, usually the writing is on the wall for them. Managers here especially just won't risk it. The flip side to that is anybody they think will bang goals for them will be straight in there, regardless of age. The pressure to win is just too intense and goals get you wins.

I would count Afolabi in that as well. Even at 18, and now at 20.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  9. Foley1888

We had a couple of false starts over the same time period with Beattie who was making an impact before getting riddled with hamstring injuries and returning running like a horse and Watt whose attitude let him down.

Maloney is probably the only one out of the lot you could consider a success and as you say he became more a wide left/ number 10 type.

I totally agree on the striker piece, being honest probably with most positions with us if we sign someone and they are not seen for a while I get worried, hence worry about Klimala and Soro just now, Bayo and Shved before that and Eboue before them. You could go on and on with guys like Balde, Bangura, Scepovic, and the rest of them.

The only exceptions that come to mind are Ajer and Christie who both had time out on loan in the league before making the breakthrough. Even Christie would not have got his chance and was probs on the way out had it not been for all our injuries in midfield but he did very well to grasp it.

10. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    The bit I've seen of him with Ireland he is a bit raw for first team football with us, but in fairness klimala is raw enough too. Needs a loan, a run of competitive games while scoring frequent competitive goals. For me as well as the club is run one of our biggest downfall is bringing young players through from academy/reserves/underage to senior players. Seems even worse now that there is essentially zero competitive football for our u23/reserve yeam. I do understand very few teams are good at that especially without affecting on field results. Can't be done this year but going forward I think we need to be a bit proactive and gamble a bit more with young players.

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

Peej likes this.
  11. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    With us though, there always seems to be some reasoning for not wanting to risk youth, annoys me, as much as I can't overly argue against the reason for THIS season, though complacency and over dependency on a core 11 will be a disaster in other ways.

I just find it mad that in the two years he has been here, he hasn't seen a first team minute, yet Bayo was gifted quite a few while being extremely raw.
    Dembele will be another that I fear we will let slide on by, early pre season looked capable of being on our bench, specially with 5 subs and the hope that we get 3 goals up we can bring on a Dembele, C0nnell, Afolabi, O'Conner, all players that really are at an age and level that they NEED first team football now to develop, specially as you say with the limited and lack of U23 competitive matches. Not expecting wonders from them, but givcing Afolabi 10 games off the bench this season when 2 or 3 up already is going to do him a world of good and the expectation would be he plays 20 next year with some starts and then he breaks in to the side. But we are always too quick to say "cant risk it" (not you, the general notion of it) and these lads drift away unfortunately for us.

Dublin Celt likes this.
  12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

13. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Good luck to him, hopefully we see the likes of Henderson and Connell go out on loan too, albeit I think Connell is good enough to get games already.

Crilly likes this.
  14. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Barry coffey needs a loan too

15. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Good move to be honest, especially with Strachan being involved at Dundee. See how he gets on.

16. GavCFC1

New contract too it seems

Tommy25, Crilly and MickeyyMack like this.
  17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Tommy25 and Crilly like this.
  19. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    You are quick [​IMG]

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

:56: