1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Transfer Talk

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by PaulM1888, Jun 24, 2009.

Discuss Transfer Talk in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Foley1888

It’s a fair point that we have a lot of good young players at the club just now, I would say out the list you shared Welsh, Connell/Robertson/McInroy and Dembele may see first team action at some point.

However some of the others Hazard will be third choice or out on loan so unlikely to see much game time if he stays here, there’s talk of Deas being allowed to join Hamilton in a Hickey type deal with no fee but a big sell on clause.

I think Oko-Flex, Aitchison, Afolabi and Harper would all benefit from going on loan but other than Harper I don’t hold much hope for the others making it here from that group.

One or two of Connell, Robertson or McInroy would be worth going on loan as I cannot see them all getting game time given our first team centre midfielders.

Lee O’Connor is the one that baffles me the most, as he is highly rated by Ireland but seems on the edge of things here. I would like to see what he could do at a decent SPL team like Motherwell, Hibs or Aberdeen with a run of games.

The reserve set up at the moment is uncertain and poor so be good to get those unlikely to get game time here out getting it elsewhere.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  2. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I only posted that squad to demonstrate how we don’t need to sign 30+ year old back up players when we already have 1 back up squad of players in and around the first team, and then on top of that the back up squad I posted that’s adequate as a 3rd choice in each position. I think some times we sign players as the opportunity is too much to turn down. I.e O’Connor. Why would we sign 4 RB’s in one window, I don’t know. Can only think we saw two cheap good options in O’Connor and frimpong and snapped them up. Same with Connell, Bolton in trouble so we took the opportunity. Afolabi I think will be a decent player, but not with us. Maybe 1 loan this season and we’ll sell him

I agree with all you’ve said tho. Really disappointed if Deas leaves, think he’s gonna be a player. Not sure if I posted it on here or another thread but I believe if a player over 18 isn’t in and around the first team he should be out on loan (with our current youth set up as it is, would prefer a full team in the pyramid) and then our reserve team full of 18 and under players.

3. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    It’s Twitter * but thought I’d post it anyway.

MickeyyMack and Jeannie960 like this.
  4. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    This year could be a massive year for our younger players especially with FIFA stating that they intend on keeping the 5 sub rule for next season. Do you think this could play a part in the way we approach the market? Youngsters like Karamoko, Connell and O’Connor could be used more as squad players, being in and around the first team would see their development thrive.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  5. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Mykyta Buirda. Ukrainian defender, Dynamo Kiev.

Rumours he is heading to France for talks.

6. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Wonder if we’ve got him on the cheap because of his age/injury this season

7. marti~bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson & Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    The Burda thread closed. The guy in his profile pic is some American official who was involved in the Trump/Ukraine episode so perhaps not an indicator that it's a wind-up account.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  8. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Aye, that'll be good, like the 5 sub rule, and would like to see youngsters given a bit more game time.

Not sure if there's still a youth team rule for the bench, I'd like that.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  9. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I’m not so sure I do like the idea of the 5 sub rule being brought in. It’s a bit of a double edged sword.

On one hand it would encourage us to give young players more opportunities, which would be great. However on the other hand it would encourage clubs down south (and big clubs abroad) who have significantly higher budgets than us to further bloat out their squad with players we otherwise may manage to attract.

The only way it would possibly work fairly is if two of the five subs used had to be under a certain age. Even then though, that may only serve to increase the chances of someone like Edouard staying at PSG or Frimpong staying at Man City.

The_Bhoy and Noskeil like this.
  10. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    ive always been a fan of the under-20 sub rule, hated the way it as implemented though with most teams throwing a couple of school kids on the bench with no intention of them stepping near the pitch haha

you mention something that also gives me the fear too, the “5 sub” could just end up with clubs pack the bench with 100s of millions worth of players which is the wrong way to use this opportunity to develop young players.

granted the importance of this season this will probably be about striking balance a strong bench with a few youngsters and allow them on when the games secure

11. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Jamal Lowe, winger at Wigan. Linked today.

Cba making a thread.

12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I remember him at Portsmouth thinking he was greedy and pish..

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  13. CountyDownFaithful

Watched the highlights on their 8-0 win over Hull during the week and thought he looked good. Had a read up on him but he’s 26 and mainly played non league. Might be a late bloomer but don’t think he’s Celtic class.

14. CountyDownFaithful

Good to hear Lennon saying he wants to add a few players to the team in his post match interview. GK, CB and either a LB or RW please.

15. Cupid Stunt

I honestly thought what he said, sounded like we aren't signing anyone.

I think we'll defo be in for Forster but I wouldn't be surprised if that's it.

'We're looking to add' 'delighted with core group and improvements made' 'but.. brilliant business getting Mo in'.

16. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Defo need Defenders.

At least 1 CB.

Would rather see us going 3 at back as outwith big El Hamed fullbacks are poor defensively. Can maybe have them as wingback, but that's it I think.

Would love PR back personally as he's one of my favs of recent years, but the likes of Frimpong and Dembele can fit wide and wee MJ too.

Unless we sell a midfielder don't believe that's needed either.

I hope Bayo can maybe do. Something up front offering a bit of strength but not sure, but Griff and Paddy also has to be given a chance.

17. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    He always says he's delighted with the core squad

18. CountyDownFaithful

Between 2:10 and 2:20 he says ‘we are looking to bring a few more players in as we go along’

Tommy25 likes this.
  19. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    It's the same soundbites every year though. No point looking into them in any great depth.

And every year I'll always say the same..hes not going to come out and say we need a player here there and everywhere is he. We have a good squad but it does need added to...lennon knows that.

We will sign 3 or 4 players.

20. CountyDownFaithful

Definitely hope we bring a striker in after the comments about Griff tonight.

Lennon said he’s got a lot to do to get anywhere near the squad never mind starting week in week out.

One of our strengths last season was our ability to switch formation into a 3/5/2 so we need two proven strikers for that. Kilmala and Bayo could come good but I’d like someone more proven as we go for 10 - maybe getting someone in on loan could be the way to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.