1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Fraser Forster

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by JC Anton, Jan 13, 2016.

Discuss Fraser Forster in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Jeremie Frimpong

If Southampton want to play hard ball for their third-choice goalkeeper, they can forget about ever signing another Celtic player.

I would have thought that they would have been amiable in negotiations with us, given the number of times that they have paid well below market value for our best players.

2. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Be it permanent or a loan, the important thing is the big man is in goal for the first game of the season.

Still think if we had him before Cluj we'd have gone through...

The fact they want Ntcham is a good bit of leverage though. Could maybe see us sell him for a decent fee then use the money to pay for Forster and give him a chunk of it as a sign on bonus to make up for the wage cut.

3. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    To be fair it mentions nothing of nothing and looks only to be written to serve the purpose of * on the deal as best they can.
    Everyone and their dug knows two things;
    1. Forster is willing to take a cut and knows what Celtic limit would be, he would accept being on a par with Brown etc.
    2. Southampton need him off the payroll, and many others, they aren't going to demand £10million from us.

4. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Could likely be overdramatic newspaper nonsense though. If they want him gone and they also want Ntcham then we have a good position to get what we want from the deal, given that we're probably FFs preferred option.

Jeremie Frimpong likes this.
  5. Jeremie Frimpong

Yeah, hopefully.

We want Forster and Elyounoussi; they want Ntcham. None of those players are integral to their respective sides, so we should be able to work out something that suits everyone.

JML67 likes this.
  6. Ryanmcg84

How is letting go of 1 of our best players for a goalkeeper they don't want a good deal?

I love Forster and think he's best keeper we've had in years but in no way is having to let go of Ntcham to get Forster smart.

Southampton don't want Forster so it's down to Lawwell/Hammond to come up with a deal to get him whether that's on a permanent or loan.
    In all likelyhood it will cost more and be harder to replace Ntcham than what it will take to get Forster

7. Jeremie Frimpong

Ntcham is a good player, but 23 goals and 11 assists in 123 appearances suggests that he is far from irreplaceable.

Seán Mac D and Dannybhoy81 like this.
  8. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Forster did more for us last season than Ntcham did, so on that alone I think it's important we get him and if it means we let Oli go the other way I think it's good for us.

Thats what I mean when it's good leverage, Ntcham is a quality player and has potential to get even better, especially at a club like Southampton. It's probably a move that he would be keen on himself so I think it suits all parties to use him as makeweight to get FF in.

9. Ryanmcg84

Realistically if we were to sell Ntcham we would be looking for £12-£15m.
    Forster is Southamptons 3rd choice keeper, who they don't want and who doesn't want to be there. At very most they would be lucky to get £6m for him.

There is absolutely no way you use a £15m as leverage to get a £6m player.

It's absolutely bonkers thinking to think letting go of one of our best players and most valuable to get a guy from Southamptons reserves; regardless of how good he is for us.

We want him we go get him by either paying the money or getting a loan deal sorted. You don't strengthen 1 part of your team by significantly weakening another part of if and then having to go spend more money to find a replacement for Ntcham.

The_Bhoy and Whoflungdung like this.
  10. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

I would agree with your valuation of Ntcham if we hadn't just experienced a 3 month shut down of football with no guarantee of live spectators returning. The market will be completely different this summer to any previous season. We will be severely affected by this ourselves.

Southampton have made their interest clear, as have we with Forster - for obvious reasons. The guy single handedly won us the league cup final, as well as numerous points in a tough EL group. I'd take Alloa's reserve goalie if he could do that.

A swap deal is good for us if it means we get a proven top class keeper who holds our all time clean sheet record, when we currently have Scott Bain on his own for our 10iar season. A replacement for Ntcham already exists in Ryan Christie, Tom Rogic, & Callum McGregor - all of whom got picked ahead of him in most games last year.

11. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

We may need Forster more than Ntcham, however we shouldn't devalue the cash we can make for Ntcham.

However, If we can sort some deal that sees FF and Elyounoussi here for the 10 with Ntcham going the other way I'd be very happy.

The_Bhoy, Rydo1888* and _DannyBhoy_ like this.
  12. Ryanmcg84

Using that logic then the valuation of Forster must then drop top particularly when you take into account Southampton are reportedly in financial trouble.

For me swapping Ntcham + cash for Forster is a poor deal and is one where Southampton are getting the far better deal out of it. And I'm * sick fed up losing our best players to that * mid table small time club. We don't always have to bend over everytime they come for one of our players. If they are trying to play hard ball it's time we did likewise.

We would be in a far better position with both in the squad.

Far too many of our support have a real blind spot when it comes to ntcham, whether that's down to his comments last year or his dip in form round about the same time the rat was * his mate about I don't know. But since lennon had a chat with him last summer he's been 1 of our best players, particularly since January. For me he's 2nd best midfielder we have behind McGregor. When he's on it he's unplayable. He's a regular starter for a fantastic France u21 side for a reason.

Celtic have the advantage here, Southampton don't want Forster, he doesn't want to be there, they can't afford to have him sitting about and he wants to play for us. So why should we be letting Southampton dictate to us.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  13. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Is there something about us giving money and Oli or is this just here?

Absolutely * off, lol. No absolute chance would I do that.

Ryanmcg84 likes this.
  14. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Nope and nowhere has that been said...

Do you fancy a move to Southampton? Would even sanction a loan deal with a view to a permanent move. :50:

15. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

I didn't suggest we should, I said it's a deal that would suit all parties which is completely different.

I agree with you about Ntcham, I do rate him highly but we are a selling club whether we like it or not. We sold Forster, Wanyama, VVD, Moussa, Tierney.. we'll sell Ntcham too. He's an asset to the club on the pitch until he's one off it, and he's more easily replaceable than Forster imo. I'd also rather we lose Ntcham to fund any deals than Eddy this summer...

16. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Can see him returning for the 10

17. Ryanmcg84

It doesn't suit us to sell our 2nd best midfielder. It's a good deal for Southampton not us.

We will get forster regardless. He doesn't want to go back to sitting in the stands so let's just do the best deal and buy him.

Flip it around, if Southampton came to us and wanted to buy Scott Bain and we said OK but for that to happens we want Stuart Armstrong and we'll give you some cash on top. Do you think they would go for it?

I think you are underestimating the value of ntcham.

Let me give you a scenario, which of the 2 do you think is better for our squad.

Joe Hart in goal with ntcham in midfield or Forster in goal with David turnbull in midfield.

For me option 1 is stronger overall

18. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Well I think Joe Hart is an awful keeper, particularly in comparison to Fraser so I'd take the second scenario all day.

I guess I just don't rate Ntcham as highly as I do Forster then, not underestimating him I just feel Forster makes our whole defence solid which is priceless for me. Oli is a classy player and as you said since he got his head back in the game he's been excellent.

Lets just hope we play our cards right :50:

19. Jeremie Frimpong

By what measure(s) is Ntcham our second-best midfielder?

Dannybhoy81 and Seán Mac D like this.
  20. Jeremie Frimpong

I would take Forster and Turnbull all day long.