1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Christie

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by LloydsGamble, Aug 28, 2015.

Discuss Ryan Christie in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. paulie67 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    6mil widnae buy one cylinder of this boys V6 engine.

When Christie doesn't play, i feel celtic miss him. Same as with others in the squad; they don't play. it's felt.
    Before that last time he was out for quite a while through injury, he was on fire and it showed everytime he played.

He might not be the "most" technically gifted, but his heart for that celtic jersey can never come into question.
    Not as technically gifted, no... but his engine, his willingness, determination and selflessness for the team cannot be bought.

Whoflungdung and Liam Scales like this.
  2. Graeme1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    15 at the least

3. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    In today’s market you never know. For me he’s similar in quality and goalscoring prowess to Armstrong who went, remarkably I thought, for 8 million. I really can’t see someone splashing much more than that on Ryan.

And that, I'm afraid, is why we get raped, almost every single time against real quality in Europe. We have runners and fighters with not enough skill, talent or composure to compete with the top dogs. Don’t get me wrong you need some dig but I’d prefer our attacking mids were all Rogic-esque wizards even if he’s slow as *.

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Ryan Christie has been one of our best players in Europe this year and even the year before win he came in he was superb, he had enough technical ability, concentration and knowhow to set up Eddy for the winner against one of the best teams in the Bundesliga. He was also the only player who played against Salzburg the second game that came away with any credit whatsoever. Christie is not an issue in Europe. At all.

His work rate only helps the attributes that he does have, if we didn't have the work rate against the real quality in Europe we do get absolutely raped. That was one of the biggest issues in the PSG and Barcelona games under Rodgers, we didn't get in their faces and go for them, we sat back and let them play football infront of us and we got absolutely pumped for it. We didn't have the defensive work rate and we get severely punished for it.

As much as I love Rogic, he hasn't done it much in Europe for us. Probably about the same as Christie has, due to the absolute beast of a game he had against Man City.

7. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fair enough. My opinion is he can be a headless chicken and card-liability in tough European games and that neither Christie, nor anyone else in our midfield bar maybe Rogic (when fit..) McGregor and Ntcham, are good enough for Europe.
    And when I say Europe I mean Champions League group stage and beyond, as anything less is beneath Celtic. That’s a whole other story of course.
    I think I’ve said before if Rogic had Christie’s energy and luck with injuries/fitness we’d have a 40 million pound box to box mid worthy of any adversary. Alas both are lacking.

8. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    I'm sorry but it seems to me like your either really underestimate Christie or are overrating Rogic,your 6m valuation on Christie proves that. Rogic has scored 3 goals in Europe in his full Celtic career (40 games) 2 v Linfield (semi pros) 1 v Beer Sheva compared to Christie who has already scored 7 goals just from this European campaign. From memory how many times has he performed against top class opposition? The Man City game, Leipzig, a 6 out of 10 v Monchengladach (if that's considered good) and I'm running out already. Even when we dominated Anderlecht he was posted missing. I have no clue why you'd sell Christie when he clearly has a much more direct impact to the game than Rogic who looks lethargic in comparison, not to mention a top 3/4 player at our club.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    pop47 likes this.
  9. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    If you look purely at stats no doubt Rogic is poorer but a 400k signing has been a wonder to watch in 85% of the live matches I’ve seen him in. I think some people forget how ace Tom can be at his best, he’s literally won us leagues and cups. People talk about Griffiths, Stokes or Forrest dragging us through patches and season in this 10IAR run but Rogic is my favourite player from this period, although he hasn’t been the stand out in Europe.

As for the 6million figure, yes it’s an imaginary price tag I’ve slapped on Ryan who maybe I do underestimate but it’s roughly what I think he’d leave for, should he exit.
    We got more money than I expected for Tierney and Armstrong so you never know. With Gilmour, Maybe McTominay, Scottish players have become bit more in demand in England.

Important to remember going forward virus has shot the * out the global transfer market.

10. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

You need to make up your mind.

11. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    The stand out.. what do you think that means?

12. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

£6m is a nonsensical value to place on Christie. He's a far superior player to Armstrong; he has all of his best traits in stamina, pace and power and then more on top: more goals, better vision, better touch and passing, set piece delivery.

I wouldn't be selling Christie for anything this summer. We should be tying him down on a long-term contract.

Selling him for 7-figures would be insanity though. Thankfully Lawwell isn't daft and knows his true market value is more than double that.

13. pop47

I think he's a fantastic talent to have and the best is yet to come.

* he's came through horrific injuries and that's often forgotten,would'nt want to be selling him at all.

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

15. CharlieMulgrew21

Fav Celtic Player:
    Chico Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    Podcast out with Ryan and his dad, its a long one on for 2 hours speaking about inverness then moving on to speak about Celtic, the guys have broke it down so easier to just listen to the Celtic parts. Talks about 9IAR, the rat, Lenny - good insight about it all.

Give it a listen if you can folks:50:

MickeyyMack likes this.
  16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Neil Lennon is ready to kick-start contract talks with Ryan Christie to secure the Celtic star on a new bumper long-term deal.

The Scotland playmaker is currently tied down until summer 2022 but the Parkhead manager is determined to give the attacker a wage hike and ward off any potential suitors.

Christie has emerged as a key man for Celts in recent seasons – and blasted 20 goals before the campaign was curtailed.

The former Inverness and Aberdeen forward is also a vital part of Steve Clarkes Scotland side and has attracted interest from several clubs down south.

Lennon is keen to keep hold of his top assets – with Odsonne Edouard pledging his immediate future to the club with loan stars Fraser Forster and Mohamed Elyounoussi also hoping to be part of next season’s charge towards 10-in-a-row.

Christie will be on board but Lennon wants to underline Celtic’s commitment to keep their big game hunters.

The Hoops boss said: “That’s an avenue we will look to pursue. He was terrific for us last year and I would love to give him an extension.

“It’s all quiet right now in terms of talks because there’s been so much going on but we’ll be picking that up again soon.

“He scored 20 goals last year and I’m sure he would have added more if the season went on. That’s a fantastic return for a wide man.

“But it wasn’t just his goals. It was his all-round game that was so important for us.

It’s like James Forrest and a good few others, they really weighed in and Ryan was right at the top as well.”

tarboltontim and HoopyT like this.
  19. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Be a great move getting Ryan on a new long term deal. :50:

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CELTIC have kicked off talks to keep Ryan Christie until at least 2023.

SunSport understands negotiations are on-going to extend the Hoops star’s current deal which still has two years left

Boss Neil Lennon made clear last month his desire to reward the 25-year-old whose consistent top form last season – he bagged 20 goals for club and country – established him as one of the ParkHeads Clubs main men.

Now, that intent has been backed up.

Christie – five years at Parkhead and with two successful loan spells at Aberdeen – is extremely happy with the champions.

And he hopes an agreement can be reached soon to give him a massive boost going into the team’s push for an historic 10th straight title.

Lennon said recently: “Ryan was terrific for us last year and I’d love to give him an extension to his contract.”

Only player of the year Odsonne Edouard beat Christie’s goal tally as the Celts made it nine-in-a-row.

French sensational Edouard – tracked by a whole host of leading English and European clubs - is also in talks with Hoops chief executive Peter Lawwell over a contract extension.

Both he and Norwegian stopper Kristoffer Ajer – a top target for AC Milan – are in the same boat as Christie with two years left.

And Celtic chiefs are anxious to tie them all down for longer.

tarboltontim and MickeyyMack like this.