1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic & Coronavirus and competitions!

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, Mar 2, 2020.

Discuss Celtic & Coronavirus and competitions! in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. TheHappyLoss

Possibly the best summing up of the Huns I've ever read.

2. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

What happens if the 75% vote in favour of finishing on current standings doesn’t pass?

3. dmac

If they got the null and void vote would all the teams like St Johnstone Hamilton and Hearts hand back all the money fans paid to attend games

4. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
  5. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I always maintained that null and void was only an option in the head of the deluded huns.

It opens up an entirely new batch of problems in terms of European qualification, coefficients and prize money, all of which are resolved by calling it.

Hopefully it can be resolved somehow and we can finish playing. If any group of players will feel robbed by the season being called early it would be ours, given that we were well on the way to another treble. We may still get there, but it will never be the same for the players and fans who would unfortunately be deprived of celebrating that on the pitch.

The67Sound likes this.
  6. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Hearts in favour of Hun proposal, no surprise there.

'
    Following the SPFL briefings held today, and having now had the opportunity (post meeting) to read the written resolution being proposed, I can confirm that Heart of Midlothian will not be voting in favour of the proposal as it stands.

Over the past 24 hours, in advance of today’s meetings, a number of Clubs have been discussing possible options and sharing ideas. Many of those Clubs believe, as we do, that a decision of such magnitude requires significantly more discussion and debate than has been made available to us.

I absolutely understand that finding an equitable outcome for all will not be easy. However, I firmly believe that we must try to find a solution which ensures that no Club should be penalised as a consequence of these exceptional circumstances.

It was emphasised today that some clubs, particularly those in the lower Leagues, need funds to be released to help them navigate their way through this exceptional situation. I do not accept however, that this resolution needs to be passed in order to release those funds. If the Government can change the Laws of the Land, within 24 hours, to cope with this crisis, then surely it cannot be impossible for Scottish Football’s Governing bodies to modify rules to get things done. This is a time for pragmatism, not rules. There are other ways of addressing the current financial challenges and as such we will be supporting the Members Resolution being put forward by Rangers.

I wrote to the SPFL on the 15th March, asking that all 42 clubs be given the opportunity and time to discuss this situation fully. That has not happened and we now find ourselves once again in apparent disarray. For the avoidance of doubt, I am not pointing fingers at the SPFL Executive, nor indeed at the Board, as I know how much effort has gone into trying to find a way through this totally unprecedented situation. However, an issue of this scale was always going to demand full involvement of the member Clubs.

I also asked that we try to see this as an opportunity to look at whether a league restructure, so often talked about, could help us through this difficult time. I was disappointed to read in the papers issued today that it will be considered, but it was also stated that “…it is very difficult to achieve consensus behind any restructuring proposal, let alone quickly”. This is an emergency situation, and Clubs acknowledge and many accept that it needs actions befitting an emergency situation. Decisions taken to see us through this emergency do not have to be cast in stone. We need to look at the restructuring option with belief that it will help and not with negativity.

This is a time for all Clubs and SPFL partners to pull together to find an equitable solution for all. If something is right, it is right: if it is wrong, it is wrong. We will continue to lobby for doing the right thing, both for Clubs and for Scottish Football'

7. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Supporting the Huns for now but if the SFA said no relegations then they'd drop them like a bag of * :56:

The clue is in this part
    "I absolutely understand that finding an equitable outcome for all will not be easy. However, I firmly believe that we must try to find a solution which ensures that no Club should be penalised as a consequence of these exceptional circumstances"..

In other word's....please don't relegate us..

Seán Mac D likes this.
  8. StevieBhoooy!

Gutless ‘salt n sauce ‘ Hun wankrrs.

Sounds like they’ve given Jabba a job.

I hope the rancid club goes down whatever the mechanism used.

9. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

The desperation reeking from the full fats and diets is hilarious to watch.

My favourite part is: "This is a time for pragmatism, not rules."

Those pesky rules eh :celtman2:

10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Their relegation is ridiculously harsh and keeping them in and adding 2 from the championship would be fairest, but.....* them..

The way they've gone on as well has shown them up. I'm looking forward to them getting papped to *..

Seán Mac D likes this.
  11. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

If it was any other club I would maybe have sympathy but not those animals, as bad as the huns in my eyes.

Infact I'd pay £30 to sit in the Roseburn stand and watch Budge, Naismith and Levein's faces as the verdict came through that they were down :84:

Dan Breen and McChiellini.. like this.
  12. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

13. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Hopefully the time frame will be there to complete the season and the SC.

Seán Mac D and McChiellini.. like this.
  14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Yep. That would be beautiful :35:

There's no been many sweeter sights than that specky nonce hurting..

So we're still on for the quadruple treble :84:

As @prof says....we'd all love if we can resume and win it all 2/3 month down the line or that..

Rydo1888*, JML67, JC Anton and 2 others like this.
  15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

SPFL chiefs could be handed powers on Friday to crown Celtic champions and relegate Hearts.

And they could make the big call in just a FORTNIGHT.

Hampden bosses want the 42 clubs to rubber-stamp a proposal which sees the campaign in the Championship, League One and League Two declared over immediately.

The motion needs a 75 percent majority in each division to be voted through, with a deadline set for Friday at 5pm.

If it’s given the thumbs up, the SPFL’s nine- person board will gain the authority to decide the final placings in the Premiership.

As things stand, they are prepared to wait and see how the coronavirus crisis develops before making a final call on the top 12.

They stressed to clubs that they have not given up hope of being able to play out the rest of the top-flight season on the pitch.

But they will only give the go-ahead for the campaign to resume if there are clear signs from health officials that the global Covid-19 pandemic is significantly easing.

If not, they will make a call on the campaign with the Hoops landing the title and Hearts relegated on the same criteria which could see
    Partick and Stranraer go down — average points per game played.

Crucially, the SPFL board are anticipating a Uefa ruling at a meeting on April 23 which will allow national leagues to make such calls.

Chief executive Neil Doncaster said: “Very regrettably, we must face the reality that it’s simply not possible for the remaining Championship, League One and League Two fixtures to remain postponed without causing significant further financial harm to clubs.

“The board’s recommended proposal will give us a far greater degree of certainty, minimise the harm to the game overall, and enable us make end-of-season fee payments now.”

The proposal would see Dundee United, Raith Rovers and Cove Rangers all promoted with Thistle and Stranraer relegated.

SPFL chairman Murdoch MacLennan added: “Every single club in the SPFL has been committed to completing the remaining fixtures.

“But we must prioritise the safety of players, officials and fans and ensure our emergency services are given every possible assistance.

16. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    They should make it a 16 team league for 1 season.
    That would be 30 matches then split down middle so teams play another 7 matches.
    Also 2 leagues of 13.
    That would be Home and away once each meaning 24 matches then top 6 play each other home and away meaning another 10 matches for top 6 and 12 for bottom 7.
    In essence this would be

Premier - Each team plays 37 matches
    Championship - Each team (Top 6) plays 34 matches.
    - Each team (Bottom 7) plays 36 matches
    1st Division - Each team (Top 6) plays 34 matches.
    - Each team (Bottom 7) plays 36 matches

To make it more interesting for the lower divisions:
    Once split is reached points are wiped then Average pts per match played pre split for every team are used.
    No need for play offs.

If this was done then the Leagues would look like this - Using current tables:

Premiership
    1) Celtic - 2019/20 Premiership Champions
    2) Sevco
    3) Motherwell
    4) Aberdeen
    5) Livingston
    6) Hibernian
    7) St Johnstone
    8) Kilmarnock
    9) St Mirren
    10) Ross County
    11) Hamilton
    12) Hearts
    13) Dundee United - 2019/20 Championship Champions
    14) ICT
    15) Dundee
    16) Ayr United

Championship
    1) Dunfermline
    2) Arbroath
    3) Morton
    4) Alloa
    5) QotS
    6) Partick
    7) Raith Rovers - 2019/20 1st Division Champions
    8) Falkirk
    9) Airdrie
    10) Montrose
    11) East Fife
    12) Dumbarton
    13) Clyde

1st Division
    1) Peterhead
    2) Forfar
    3) Stranraer
    4) Cove Rangers - 2019/20 2nd Division Champions
    5) Edinburgh City
    6) Elgin City
    7) Cowdenbeath
    8) Queen's Park
    9) Stirling Albion
    10) Annan
    11) Stenhousemuir
    12) Albion Rovers
    13) Brechin City

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    The67Sound likes this.
  17. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Can't say I like that, only 1 game less and some teams will have more home games than others.

18. shaunbhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    come the split that's usually always the case anyway

19. StevieBhoooy!

20. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Not the case after the split. The 14 team version is the best route or just 10 teams how it was

Keano88 likes this.