1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic & Coronavirus and competitions!

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, Mar 2, 2020.

Discuss Celtic & Coronavirus and competitions! in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. StevieBhoooy!

I suspect the spfl will know what the epl are up to ....

They were supposed to meet Tuesday and postponed until Wednesday.

Maybe there will be some movement then.

spfl. - 9am I believe.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    seanm and MickeyyMack like this.
  2. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Celtic currently have 30 full time players in the squad.
    Furloughing them right now means that each player would get a maximum of £2500 pm before tax and NI contributions are paid.
    They are also NOT allowed to play until they come off furlough.
    They ARE allowed to volunteer their time in professions that have NOTHING to do with football.
    That means that Celtic can save £75,000 a month on the playing squad except for their contributions they MUST pay to HMRC such as tax and ni contributions.

Westlondonscot and Taz like this.
  3. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Just realised that Danny McGrain will have to self isolate due to his Diabetes and his age so that will affect the coaching staff

seamus1967 likes this.
  4. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
  5. seanm

matter of days before all leagues are called as they stand.football is immaterial at the moment. it has shown uefa up as nothing but money grabbing feckers.HH

6. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Yeah only goal difference stands between Ajax and AZ, no * surprises Ajax want it called now

7. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Yeah we would save a pittance from furloughing them. The players would keep jobs anyway so it wouldnt help jib retention.

8. RiquelmeCSC

Probably an unpopular opinion but I hope the league does go on behind closed doors. Selfishly I’m missing the football and would love to see us win the league fairly so no one can say it was gifted to us. Also as much as people are losing their lives unfortunately life has to go on. Football is a business and can’t just bow down to pressure to call it as it stands. I love our club and putting money in keeps it afloat. If we call it now and there are no more games until August time could spell bad times ahead. Anyway just my two bits worth.

Garrymac1888 and StevieBhoooy! like this.
  9. StevieBhoooy!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52214595

* ok with voting to end lower leagues but not top flight.,,,

BBC
    SPFL clubs are to vote on whether the Championship, League One and League Two seasons should be ended, with final places decided based on points per game played so far.

The resolution also recommends that the Premiership remains postponed "to give the best possible opportunity" for remaining fixtures to be played.

The SPFL season was suspended last month amid the Covid-19 crisis.

A 75% vote in favour is required and a result is expected early next week.

Should the clubs vote to accept the proposals, Dundee United, Raith Rovers and Cove Rangers would be promoted from their respective divisions, and Partick Thistle and Stranraer relegated.

All play-offs would be cancelled, meaning the pyramid play-off has been scrapped.

However, the SPFL say that, should the plans be approved, they commit to consulting with clubs about reconfiguring the leagues for next season.

'Now is the right time to act'
    Chief executive Doncaster said the SPFL board had "consulted extensively with clubs in all four divisions" and have "taken expert legal and commercial advice".

"The quicker we reach a final position the better, but there is no doubt this is the most complicated and challenging situation our game has faced in living memory," he said.

"Now is the right time to act. We all know there are no easy answers or simple solutions, but the board's recommended proposal will give us a far greater degree of certainty, minimise the harm to the game overall."

Doncaster confirmed that approving the plans would mean end-of-season payments could be made to lower league clubs, something that would alleviate "significant further financial harm".

Last week, Uefa cautioned that declaring campaigns early could mean countries would not be able to take up places in European competitions.

Doncaster said that the position regarding the top flight "remains particularly complicated".

He added: "Everyone is aware of Uefa's desire for the family of European football to work together to resolve the issues that confront us all.

"We are keen to work with Uefa and remain in discussion with them over the situation in Scotland."

tarboltontim likes this.
  10. StevieBhoooy!

It’s partly the SFA and spfl waiting to see what England do..,

.... but I genuinely think they are frightened of what the Sevco reaction will be.

Dorsnt sound like reconstruction is in the mix just yet .,, so some clubs might be turkeys voting for Christmas.,lower 2 leagues might get 75% vote. Not sure about championship.

If premiership were to vote then Sevco and hertz would be definite NO.. Would need another 2 clubs to vote against ...

11. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    They've set it now.

They can NOT call league positions as they stand for the lower leagues and announce that Dundee United WILL be promoted and not have it the same rule for the top league.

To be fair to them, they are only holding off to see what the backlash from UEFA would be.

This is exactly what we want and exactly how it should be - give as much time as possible to try and play the season out, if not, it will be called as it stands - as are the other professional leagues have just been done in this country. (I say done, it aint set in stone yet)

12. shieldsybhoy

Shat themselves - have offloaded the decision to other people so they don't take any ownership. Shameful. Also basically telling the lower leagues that they are less important than the top league.

Twisty likes this.
  13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

14. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    The cynic in me wonders if this is a way of diluting the overall vote by taking out the lower leagues.

I'd be amazed if 2 teams in particular don't want more than their fair say on whatever happens.

Personally I'd like a date to be set and if it is possible to play games before then that they go ahead and everything calculated off the final position. If that means all or none of the remaining games are completed then that's down to how the overall picture plays out.

In all reality unless UEFA are willing to sacrifice large parts of next season I think it is already pretty much done. Even getting next season started on time might be a stretch the way things are going.

15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Null and void is the only option..

Only a * moon unit believed that :56:

King of Kings and Seán Mac D like this.
  16. StevieBhoooy!

Huns will still be clinging on like * to the porcelain..

17. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Teams who would definitely be pro
    Celtic, St Mirren, Hamilton, Ross County, Motherwell, Aberdeen (if 4th place takes europa spot).
    Teams against
    Rangers and Hearts
    Other teams: Killie I think accept they won't get to Europe. Hibs may moan as they will drop a place. Livingstone will accept 5th I think. St Johnstone will probably accept 6th.

If they agree league restructure before a vote, I think Hearts will accept being bottom if no relegation takes place.

18. DonnyCelt

Yes maybe it is a little cruel to be relegated like this. But clubs in the relegation zones at this stage are in them positions through THEIR own doing.

Same applies to teams who are top.

Yet it is deemed acceptable to suggest unfairness to teams at the bottom while suggesting teams at the top (especially with a big lead) just have to suck it up and accept it

19. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    If its 75% then only need 8 to vote for so just 2 from the other teams.
    Hearts will definitively vote for it if there is no relegation.

20. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    aye.