1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Players' contract situations

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Jeremie Frimpong, Oct 21, 2019.

Discuss Players' contract situations in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

I hope so as well, I think us keeping Forster and Elyounoussi on permanent contracts will be down to Southampton being relegated or not.

2. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I reckon Southampton would gladly let him, FF, go for free, just to get him off the payroll.

3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Forster just because of age but Elyounoussi?

Can't see a guy yet to hit his peak being released when they paid 16 mill a year ago..

They'd be effectively wiping out 26 million for us :giggle1:

4. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I would imagine that those in charge would prefer not to sell him to the snake, but then again money is money and I think he will be sold simply to who offers the most.

I think there will be big pressure for Madrid to go for an established name of top level quality as they took what might be seen as quite a big risk in the Jovic signing for big money, who hasnt been able to find any kind of form.

I wouldnt think it would be outwith the realms of possibility for PSG to come back in for him and im really surprised they didnt put a buy back clause on him.

Bayern could be shout.. even Dortmund..

5. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Said before i dont think Gutman or Perez will ever be good enough to hold down a first team place for us and i still believe that.

We now have Taylor and Boli at left back, decent money was paid for both.

6. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    wishful thinking mate.

Dan Breen likes this.
  7. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Based on absolutely nothing? Or do you watch a lot of MLS?

Gutman was very impressive in pre-season. Perez hasn't even played as of yet.

But, aye you feel free to write them off..

8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Don't disagree with any of that to be fair :50:

Think he could do well for most top club's who haven't got an elite number 9 at the top of their game still leading the line..

9. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Chill out ffs..

Based on the level we have bought them from, the work permit issues, the price we have paid for players in similar positions and the fact that we cant play more than one player in those particular positions. I dont buy too much into playing friendlies against lower Austrian sides. Henderson was even more of a stand out.

Even if i did watch a lot of MLS, Gutman has played 8 games so far this season for the bottom team in the eastern conference and Perez plays in the USL.

If we are being realistic, its unlikely that they will play. Whether you want to admit that or not.

10. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Aye so based on nothing then..

Gutman showed good promise in pre-season, so much so most were hoping we could get a permit for him.

You may be right you may be wrong but writing them off at this stage is pure guesswork.

It matters not where we source a player from or what we pay its the quality that matters.

And Im always chill. :50:

11. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Not at all. The competition is high at a team like ours and rightly so.

Lewis Morgan showed promise at arguably a higher level, and yet has struggled to find form when given game time. Whether you would like to concede it or not, players bought from a lower level will find it harder to make it at a team with a marked jump in standard, but yet this does not directly dictate the individual ability of a player, but we all know they were bought for potential.

I dont believe that either of them were Lennon signings either, and this, coupled with the fact that Lennon has brought in Boli, Taylor, El Hamed and Frimpong who has hit the ground running, would suggest that is increasingly unlikely that they will make it, but yes not impossible.

of the two, i think Gutman will be the more likely to make the grade, but time will tell indeed.
    In any case i will gladly eat my words if proven wrong but it is nice to have some quality in depth in the full back area now.

12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Manny Perez is only 20..

Seen quite a few yank hacks and write ups rating him pretty highly..

You can slag the level he plays at now but he's a USA u23 international and the only reason he didn't play any of our friendlies this summer is because he was injured..

He's rapid. Can beat a man. Can score and assist. Bit of a unit also..

I actually like the look of him..

JC Anton likes this.
  13. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I've no issues with them developing in the MSL, it's a higher level than our Development League, arguably our actual league..

Morgan comparison means nothing, every player is different.

One, both or neither might make it, my point is its far too soon to put forward any logical argument either way. We've simply not seen enough of them and they've not played enough at a professional level.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  14. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Im not slagging him, i just think it is unlikely that he will make it here with us. Again, its only my personal opinion which may well be way wrong.

15. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I dont disagree with the idea of developing our players at a decent level but it should be borne in mind that they are only playing out there for work permit reasons. Perez and Gutman are of an age where they most likely would not be playing Development anyway but the USL isnt as good a level as the SPL.

but you see i think that presents a bit of an issue in isolation.. At 20 and 23? I think to be at a team like us they need to have played quite a bit and developed enough of a positional maturity and intelligence.

Look at Greg Taylor at 21 and he has three full seasons of professional football under his belt. Although granted he is not guaranteed to succeed either.

I think there is more than enough there for a logical argument that is improbable that they will become first team players with us, and i know you will disagree so we will have to agree to disagree and see how things pan out.

JC Anton likes this.
  16. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Gutman concentrated on his education first.. So is a late starter.

Let's see..

G_portillo likes this.
  17. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Good point. I never thought about it that way. Doubt they will be bad enough to get relegated though. They will struggle but probably do enough to avoid the drop I think.

18. Jeremie Frimpong

OP updated. New contracts for Ajer, Christie and Édouard now, please.

Rydo1888* and McChiellini.. like this.