1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Timothy Weah

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Henrik 07, Jan 7, 2019.

Discuss Timothy Weah in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

On Instagram, not the training ground by all accounts

2. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Which accounts?

3. Pablo87 Gold Member Gold Member

You Paul the Tim?

Spyin in at Lennoxtown?

4. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

Pretty sure Lenny said as much last week.

Second manager that hasn't fancied him, something is amiss IMO

5. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

“He’s done really well but there is improvement in his game.

He’s not the best of trainers, but he does his stuff on the pitch and you get players like that.

Didier Agathe was rubbish in training and absolutely brilliant on a Saturday. I’m not saying Timo is that bad!"

6. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

The weasel didn’t fancy him?

All I’ve seen and read is how the guy will play football at the park with randoms if it meant he was playing.

7. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

And on the pitch. Not just Instagram.

And you’ve got one account of him being not having a good attitude on the training ground, a vague Neil Lennon quote.

Not being the best trainer doesn’t mean you have a bad attitude.

If his attitude was bad, he wouldn’t be in the squad what so ever.

8. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

To be honest, I'm looking for reasons why one of 'PSG's hottest prospects' who's also a full international has really struggled for game time at the club. Game time was the reason PSG let him go out on loan in the first place.

I don't think there's anything 'vague' about the manager coming out to the media and saying 'He's not the best of trainers'. It's the first indication we've been given as to why he isn't a regular

9. Jeremie Frimpong

See Édouard.

10. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

29 apps, 11 goals, numerous injuries. And all with a £20m striker keeping him out of the team

11. Jeremie Frimpong

Weah may be considered a more exciting prospect than Édouard, but they both had similar levels of ability and experience when they joined Celtic, and Édouard only became a regular starter in the second half of last season.

If Édouard had started regularly throughout the season, he may have been more difficult to sign on a permanent basis.

12. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Because we play with one striker, Burke’s physicality was preferred then Eddy came back from injury. He’s not going to play on the right while Forrest has his best season and despite the critics, Sinclair has also produced on the left. It’s not difficult.

He was 18 when he came in. He’s still developing and he’s still getting more game time than he would be at PSG. He’s bought into the culture here already, he’s outspoken about how he’s enjoying it here, the club, the players, the fans. He’s doing media duties for us, he’s conducting himself better than any youngster I think I’ve seen considering the pressure he’s got in his shoulders due to who his father is, the club he’s at and being a full internationalist already.

His attitude isn’t a problem. It’s a positive. “Not being the best trainer” doesn’t tell you anything about his attitude being bad. He’s a young lad enjoying football.

PorchBhoy67 and Jeremie Frimpong like this.
  13. Jeremie Frimpong

He missed two games because of injury according to Transfermarkt. That might be inaccurate, but he was definitely available for 38 games; he started just 11, despite scoring 11 goals, and making four assists, and generally playing well.

Now Weah has Édouard keeping him out of the team.

14. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

The bit in bold is something I struggle with among our fan base if I'm honest.
    It's become paramount in your first presser to state 'Celtic have the best fans in the world', they're one of 'The biggest clubs in Europe', complement the stadium and then mention 'The world famous atmosphere on European nights'. It's a script, they all read it. Go and then prove yourself on the pitch. Too many Celtic players in recent times get an easy ride from the fans on the basis of what they say off the pitch rather than what they do on it.

That's not all directed at Weah, just in general.

The fact the gaffer felt obliged to tell the media that 'He's not the best trainer' is an issue. Not sure if he felt he had to come out and say it to explain to the fans, myself included, who are bemused by how little of him we've seen. Not being a good trainer at 19 years of age is an issue in my book. Just an opinion

“Not being the best trainer” doesn’t tell you anything about his attitude being bad - I have to disagree here. if you can turn up on a Saturday and do it, when you have the proven ability to do it yet can't turn up and show it day in day out, that's completely related to your attitude

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    The IRA likes this.
  15. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Have to agree with @Bobo_ - if you want to get game time at Celtic then you have to show the manager that you will bust a gut in training - especially if you're a young kid on loan.

It's fine for established, proven talents to maybe relax in training and have a laugh, but as a youngster trying to break through you've got to have that work ethic (attitude) to earn that luxury.

StPauli1916 and The IRA like this.
  16. Keano88

So he’ll just miss the final (if we make it) then aye?

17. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

It’s not the first presser though is it. Nobody is talking about the first presser. We are talking about the way he talks week in week out.

Lennon doesn’t have to explain to the fans why a player isn’t in the team, quite frankly coming out and saying something like that is something I disagree with and it’s a reason I dislike him as a manager. I don’t think he needs to say it in the media, I think he needs to take Weah aside and talk to him. Lennons man management is supposedly his strength. Maybe he’s already done that, but he doesn’t need to say it in the media either. To be fair though, in context is a fair comment and not bad at all. But people, like yourself, read into it far too much and start spouting off drivel and that’s the problem.

18. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

It's most definitely not just the first presser. It's every media interaction thereafter.

It's modern football, every player interaction with the media is managed. Clubs have professionals telling players what to answer, what not to answer, buzz words, who to credit. It amazes me that people still don't see through this and truly believe what they're saying about the club, the manager, the fans etc. We don't have to look too far back for an example...

19. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    I agree with this except for the part in bold.

The proven players should be setting an example. They don't have to be all serious and not able to have a laugh and enjoy the training experience but definitely not relaxing or half-arsing it.

20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I find it incredible folk are labelling him lazy tbh. Utterly bizarre suggestion.

He’s 18 and he’s been used as and when required. He’s proven to be a very useful sub and someone who’s not yet capable of being a regular first choice striker.