1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stephen McManus

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Paul67, Apr 27, 2008.

Discuss Stephen McManus in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Does everyone think McManus is a Celtic captain?

I'll give my own opinion first of all.

I think he is an honest, hard working professional, who comes across well in the media, but lacks the leadership, and ability, to command a starting place as captain.

It is now the opinion of a percentage of the support, that he is now behind Gary Caldwell in performance related issues. Something that may shock some, but frightens me.

I think McManus has stalled in his progression, and has since been overtaken by Caldwell. He shows no leadership, and seems unable to spur the team on.

His basic errors as a central defender are there for all to see, and only for the armband, I reckon he'd be on the sidelines.

Does anyone agree?

2. Ricardinho

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Think this has been his poorest season under Strachan, possibly because of the responsibility of being captain now.

Thought he was the right choice last summer, don't know now to be honest

3. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I absolutely hate to say it and especially after a win like todays but not good enough, not by a country mile.

Basic decision making is terrible and his distribution is nothing short of woeful, i'm actually glad the fans have clocked on to his short comings as it's meant the actual good defender of the 2 is now recieving the praise he deserves.

Has to also be noted he can't be dragged down for his commitment to celtic, he gives it everything but he's just not a good enough footballer for the first 11 never mind being qualified to don that armband.

4. MontiBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    vennegoor of hesselink and boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    Strachan has dug himself into a hole by making him captain. He cant drop him now.

I think a captain should always be either one of your best players or someone who will never let you down and someone you can rely on. And i dont think he falls into any of those categories. I have never been a Mcmanus fan but he has come on leaps and bounds under Strachan but i still dont think he cuts it.

5. gunt

I dont want to go totally OTT about him because he is a decent player who has made the most of what he has and the safest current CH pairing options at the club would probably involve him. However, I think he is punching above his weight as a first choice CH and captain at Celtic, IMO his level is maybe one notch down, maybe a Hibs or Aberdeen or EPL/Championship yoyo team captain. He is not dominant enough in the air against big strikers and he always has been far too immobile especially for CL games. I wouldnt change the CH partnership this season as thats too risky short term but I expect a quality very dominant CB arriving in the summer and I think it is Mick who will be pushed to the bench.

6. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    He's only come on under Strachan because he's only got his chance under him.

The facts are he's not a good enough footballer, never mind captain.

I agree that Strachan has dug a hole by making him captain, and I reckon that's the only reason he's kept his place. It's not performance related, that's for sure.

7. Ricardinho

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    To be fair in Strachan's first 2 seasons I thought he was by far our best defender, I just don't think he's played to the same level since being made captain. Like to see someone else made captain and see how he does

8. MontiBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    vennegoor of hesselink and boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    O`neill was selling him to dunfermline before he left. the deal was all but done till strachan came in, and MON knew a good CB when he seen one.

9. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Too many excuses have been made for him.

He needs another centre back to play beside him.... Caldwell has overtaken him in performances.

He's good with the media...so *.

Facts are he's not a good enough footballer, never mind Celtic captain.

Look at the captains throughout our history, then rate McManus among them.

10. gunt

the bad distribution thing is weird though. Mick actually started off looking like he could ping great long balls but lost the ability some way along the line.

11. steph020582

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    Tough subject! the jury's out on big mick... but with the exception of Aiden McGeady every one has had a below par season.... He deserves next year and we should take it from there!

12. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

This is the biggest lame duck of them all, the better defender, passer and at the end of the day footballer is Caldwell.

13. Ricardinho

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    He still does it occasionally but seems more reluctant to do it and isn't always as accurate as he use to be like in his first season when he did it for fun. Think he did it for 4 of the 8 goals in the demoltion of Dunfermline, doesn't score as much as use to either come to think of it.

14. Celticnut

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc,Andy Hinkel,Georgios Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Unfortunatly the Celtic captain is probably only the 4th best CB at the club.

15. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I still think he's the best Centre Half we have at the moment but I'm always up for a change if better. Funny thing is if it's between him and Caldwell for Scotland there's only one choice. The guy that played a blinder in Paris.

16. vcfc

Don't underestimate the pressure that being captain can put on a player. McManus was pretty good the last two seasons and to be fair has, relatively speaking been poor this season. But remember he is really young to be a captain and needs and deserves the time to grow into the role. Next season is better time to judge him.

17. Ricardinho

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    That's a bit harsh on the man that scored the winner at Hampden

18. ellboy

Fav Celtic Player:
    BOBO,AIDEN,ATRUR,NAKA
    I don’t know if anyone remembers however in pre-season there was a thread on here about this very subject prior to Mick getting the armband.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Most on here backed the decision however there where one or two who did not, me included, who got slated at the time. It was obvious back then that it was a poor decision to make Mick captain. He is a relatively young lad and consistency had to be an issue with him. Like a few have said already it is very difficult to drop your captain, again something that was expressed at the time of him being given the honour.<o:p></o:p>
    There really was only one option for Captain and that was Boruc perhaps not the best option to have a GK as your captain but there have been many Goal keepers down the years that have been successful captains.<o:p></o:p>
    Maybe we will buy an experienced leader in the summer and WGS will have the good sense to hand the armband on.<o:p></o:p>

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2008
  19. Vic the Brick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson/PVH/McNeil
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand Old Team
    There is no way in *, even if it did freeze over, that Strachan will go back on his decision. No matter who comes in next year, if Strachan is manager, McManus will be captain and unfortunately will be picked for just showing up fit.

I thought it would be good at the time, but, as a few here have said, we now have a young guy thats not good enough in the starting 11 every week and no real leader. Not a good place to be.

20. ede

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I think what McManus needs is a really good centre back playing alongside him. In the summer Strachan's priority must be a top-class centre back cos we cannot stick with Caldwell + McManus next season. To be fair, at the moment he is probably the best option we have, but thats only because he has not much competition. Also if McManus was not gonna be captain, who else would you have given it to. Hartley? - not certain first choice, Caldwell? - worse than Mack, JvoH - ???? hmmm.... only other real candidate is our Holy Goalie but thats only if he's still here come August

Hopefully some English team will be willing to pay 10 mil for McManus based on his Scotland perfromances alone (like that hun Hutton). Actually I don't think it would be too difficult to sell Caldwell or McManus and certainly not impossible to replace them.

We have to get Richard Dunne in and make him captain!!