1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Official TC Thread] Celtic F.C v Paris Saint-Germain; Tuesday 12 Sept, 7.45pm. BT Sport 3

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Jack Torrance, Sep 8, 2017.

Discuss Celtic F.C v Paris Saint-Germain; Tuesday 12 Sept, 7.45pm. BT Sport 3 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Roskopicachu

We're not at our best, but we'll improve.

2. rkid

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Completely agree with this, said it when Ronny was the manager and said it in our campaign last year. Celtic simply aren't good enough and likely never will be good enough to play open football in the CL.

I'd take a boring 0-0 or 1-0 defeat in the CL all day long over getting shafted 5-0 or 7-0 trying to play more attacking football. We are giving ourselves no chance against top quality teams.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  3. Mr. Slippyfist

I said that too when that violent 5'9 thug so aggresively tapped that 6'3 victim so hard on the shoulder that the force carried on up to his face.

Shocking!

StPauli1916 likes this.
  4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

That made me stop going to games after that.

5. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    While I hoped for better, no surprise to get beat. Disappointed with some aspects in the manner of our defeat.

Firstly, lets acknowledge the quality of the PSG side. Played football the way it should be played, quality passing and movement. The pace at which they moved at was breath taking. By the time we got near the player, he had already moved the ball on. 2 and 3 touches at most. Short passes opening big gaps. Even at our best in a domestic level, we’ve not been as fluent as that. Topped off with quality finishing. Cavani header was outstanding, even that * finished well for the 1st goal. In between then Jozo gave away a * poor penalty and the own goal was symptomatic of our night. Unai Emery has had a difficult time and underachieved to an extent, but his team is beginning to display the way he sees the game play out.

While it was a hard watch seeing us taken apart, you must appreciate the quality.

Our chance of getting anything tonight required us playing above and beyond our usual standard for 90 minutes, with PSG floundering and underperforming. It was vice-versa.

Brendan has described our 1st half as “Played like an Under 12 team”. While he corrected himself later in the interview by applying our poor ball retention and disjointed pressing. The headline is out there for the shithouse rags.

On that subject, we had several individuals on the radio positively cooing over the stats summary produced by UEFA. Yet when we produce similar, they consistently reinforce the negative. One such example, early in the 1st half PSG played. Neymar played a pass out from the corner flag to Thiago Silva inside his own 18-yard box. He then played it to Motta at the edge of the area, who passed it back to Silva. He then switched the play to Dani Alves on the right wing and PSG had broken our press and were on the attack. That type of play would be greeted by loads of “what if” and” should have just cleared his lines” by the same individuals on a weekend and by some of our fans. If they can see all the good in what PSG done tonight, why don’t they back that up week in week out. Instead we hear praise for being “defensively sound” and “difficult to break down”. A narrative which continues to haunt and prevent Scottish Football from progressing.

Anyway, I thought we struggled badly on the ball. At times, we had too many aimless balls forward and most of our attacking play 1st half came from Roberts and Sinclair attempting to taken on and run at the PSG defence from deep. This allowed them to double up these players and Sinclair was too keen to go inside rather than mix up his play by going on the outside of Alves. In fairness, it seems so simple in writing, but then I’m looking at a laptop and not Alves. We rarely played passes in and around the PSG area, all the attacking was instigated from deeper areas. Couldn’t get Tierney or Ralston advanced enough. Obviously, part of the problem was how well PSG were controlling the game and making us play that way. To break the pressing, you can either play through it or play beyond it. We struggled to play through it and Griffiths was isolated or unable to retain possession. Rogic was brought on to provide a more advanced influence and link the play with Griffiths but he struggled to influence the play in the 2nd half.

I thought our pressing was rather disjointed in the 1st half as well. It was done with individuality rather than as a cohesive group. Some players were pressing at every opportunity rather than picking the right times. Sinclair on several occasions was pressing infield and not being backed up by those behind. Leaving Alves as the out ball for the majority of the 1st half. On the right, Ralston was dragged towards the half-way line and a huge gap in behind him.

It’s hard to be overly critical on such an occasion. Essentially, I felt we could have done a lot better with certain aspects of the game. Although ultimately, we would have still come up short. Nothing has changed in our pursuit for 3rd place. And like Barcelona away last season, we’ve been set a standard of play to try and match. While Bayern and PSG will prove beyond our reach. Winning against Anderlecht over 2 games is the target.

6. Mr. Slippyfist

Turned me into a Sevconian.

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Always knew you were a Blue. :56:

8. Mr. Slippyfist

Loyal to ra core...

9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Good man pad.

10. gengar

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    heat of lisbon
    No *, Sherlock - that is obvious to anyone.

What is also obvious is that we'll be even further behind without CL money.

11. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Further behind what though, the Champions League?

We'll always fall further behind in the Champions League, unless we're taken over by a dodgy foreign cartel.

Do you think we're saving up our 25m a year to buy Dybala and Matic?

The games a * bogey as far as the CL is concerned.

packybhoy likes this.
  12. barry1916

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Surely there's a ceiling to all this money coming into the game? and im not talking about FFP...i just mean is it tv revenue? dubai investors? what will an oil crisis do to the game? what will the next financial crash do to the biggest clubs? will tickets to a game soon be 100 quid for Arsenal matches? will sky and bt charge more for subscriptions? will other leagues in china, america, middle east lead to a more spread out financial market where europe doesnt have like 90% of the market but more say 50% in 10 years time...will that change anything? will the world fifa club cup be bigger than the champions uefa league? money will decide all these things

packybhoy likes this.
  13. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Even more depressing is that, even if we had that sort of money to burn, few top players would want to come and play in Scotland.

packybhoy likes this.
  14. richardm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I've had better nights. Saw my team outclased, got soaked walking home, turn on the telly and first thing I see is an advert for Russell Howard, a * of epic proportions, all this after receiving in the post a 100 quid parking ticket from a recent trip to England.

Thank * I'm not going to Anderlecht... For everyone's sake.

Only thing that will raise my spirits is if someone rightly names and shames this utter waste of someones * that ran on the pitch tonight, I hope he gets a right doing in the cells tonight

15. Bonobhoy

has that wee * been marked yet? we know who he is?

16. gengar

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    heat of lisbon
    Isn't it utterly obvious? How about starting with the fact that without CL money we'd be behind where we are even now?

The reality is that we wouldn't even be able to afford the squad we have right now without qualifying for CL. Just look at the club income statements for the last couple years.

£25m is £25m; it's ridiculous to say that you don't want it just because you don't have the balls to accept getting trounced by clubs with far more financial backing than we have.

As I said in my original post, if nothing else it's £25m newco doesn't have - which should be good enough justification for anyone claiming to be a Celtic fan.

17. jamiebhoy67

Again not reading the thread all I'm saying don't be disheartened by that result there's better teams than us who will suffer same result against this psg team yes we were poor but these games are a bonus i personally wouldn't read too much into This result at all with a make shift defence aswell so * it let's fire up for the next one there's not many teams who will stop this psg side probably one of the best in thier history and could very well be the eventual winners of this comp

ORIGINALS and Fully87 like this.
  18. Maxie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Weel, quite a rocky start as it appeared, yet the first pancake is often lumpy... You must spoil before you spin, sae better luck neist time !! The more so as Anderlecht are quite our speed. No one said it wad be easy against the tops like PSG an' Bayern, yet if we try our beist we can even grab a home draw or (wha kens ?! -)) a win against the Munich side..! :yeah:Hereshopin' for the beist that's yet tae come !!! :60:C'mon Ye Bhoys !!!!!!!!!:ynwacelti

packybhoy and Callum McGregor like this.
  19. richardm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    You would do well to begin by realising that under Ronnie we weren't good enough to be playing ANY football in the Champions League, Maribor and Malmo saw to that

20. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Anything against Bayern would be a bonus. Love your optimism.