1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The MLS 2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'World Football' started by seamus1967, May 30, 2011.

Discuss The MLS 2017 Season Thread in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Dáibhí

I wonder if a win for Toronto in the final would signal a new beginning? I'm not sure that Giovinco would hang around after winning the cup, and may fancy a move back to Europe.

2. Nasser

Seattle win on pens to win the MLS Cup.
    The save 1:43 in one of the best I have ever seen.

3. FinnMcCool1967

Couple of new teams, in Los Angeles and Atlanta.

'Over the last five months, Eales has hired former Barcelona and Argentina manager Gerardo “Tata” Martino as his coach and paid an $8.5-million transfer fee — third-highest in MLS history — for Miguel Almiron, a 22-year-old Paraguayan playmaker.

In April, the team will move into a $60 million training facility in an Atlanta suburb and in July it’s scheduled to open a $1.5 billion retractable-roof stadium it will share with the NFL’s Atlanta Falcons.

With a capacity of 77,000, it will be the largest in MLS.

Bigger, better and more posh. That’s the blueprint LAFC has also been following since a deep-pocketed ownership group of entertainment, sports and business celebrities paid a then-record $110 million fee to join the league 2½ years ago'.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/la-sp-soccer-baxter-20170114-story.html

4. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Atlanta do seem to be raising the bar. Ambitious move of them to play in such a big stadium that is obviously not football specific.

5. Nasser

I think the new LA team will be huge, the marketing has been very good, the badge is quality and Black and Gold colours looks good, it kind of reminds me of the old LA Raiders the fan base look very latino and mexican much like the old Raiders were so I expect they will be very passionate and get behind their team. I think that could well become a big derby against LA Galaxy.

6. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Well it certainly can't fail to be better then ChivasUSA against Galaxy that was a joke. Think your right though I bet they get it right this time in terms of a second team in LA.

7. Farmer

Not league play but an amazing night in Toronto as they win their sixth Voyageurs Cup over Montreal. The crowd reaction to the winner is unreal. Football is alive and well in Canada.

Nasser likes this.
  8. FinnDineen

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady, Hooper, Laarson, Jinky, Holy Goalie,
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover, just cant get enough.
    Don't know what channel it is over there but 8pm eastern standard tonight. My local ( FC Cincinnati) is hosting Chicago Fire in the open Cup. We're expecting 35,000 for this and it's on ESPN here. We're probably going to get crushed but I am very proud of our atmosphere and you never know. Didn't think we'd beat Columbus.

Look for the Bailey * in the home end!

FCC!!!

9. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    2 Celtic jerseys behind the goal in tonights Toronto-Orlando game... :celt_2:

10. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Well you certainly made a strong case to be given a spot in MLS not just beating a red hot Chicago Fire team on PK's to reach the Quarter-finals but for the size of the crowd as well. You will need to get the stadium situation sorted though if a realistic bid for MLS is to come off as they will not allow you in playing in a college American football stadium.

11. Farmer

So how bout them Reds. On pace for the best season in MLS history. Toronto for the treble!

12. FinnDineen

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:

We ended up losing but my home clubs atmosphere is the closest I've come back to parkhead.

13. FinnDineen

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
  14. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Every time I see MLS highlights on Sky Sports, there's * dressed up as soldiers firing rifles at half time.

As long as * like that is happening I can't take that league seriously. Absolute brass neck.

15. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    'No-one likes us but that's ok'

Hun *.

Also weird seeing singing sections dressed up in cargo shorts and desert boots as opposed to Stone Island gear and adidas Gazelles:56:

16. Farmer

That's just part of American sporting culture. Unfortunately when MLS was formed they decided to incorporate a bunch of traditions from other American sports rather than incorporating football culture from the rest of the world in order to try to appeal to the American masses. It does my head in as well but thankfully the Canadian clubs don't do weird * like that and to be fair not all of the American ones do either. The big clubs in MLS are generally pretty good, it's the little clubs that don't have proper support and have stadiums out in the suburbs attended mostly by suburban families that generally have the gimmicky bullshit that seemed like a good idea in the 90's and 00's.

17. Farmer

Here's an awesome mini-doc on the Toronto-Montreal rivalry that shows what proper North American football culture is about. And no offense to our neighbours to the south but the best footballing culture in North America is definitely in Canada and it's not close.

edit: obviously Mexico is miles ahead of this. I don't know why I never consider Mexico part of NA.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  18. FinnDineen

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Its about 95f at kick off most summer.

19. Nasser

Portland vs Seattle aint bad though.

20. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    Bump - MLS final kicking off in a few moments.

Rematch of last year - Toronto vs Seattle at BMO field. Great atmosphere. Should be a good game.