1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Mikey Johnston

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Keano88, May 6, 2017.

Discuss Mikey Johnston in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Keano88

I think it's only right that I create a thread for my new Twitter buddy :34:

Sounds like he started off brilliantly today, Zidane turns and all..

Gutted to be missing it due to the link drought.

2. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Great prospect.. be good if he got a wee goal or an assist on his first team debut..

3. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Delighted that he's playing well. Seen him a few times for the development squad and he's stood out every time.

4. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Nice wee assist.. :smoke:

Keano88 likes this.
  5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Standing ovation for him today.

6. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Sounds like he played well.

Hadn't heard a lot about him until the other day when Chelski were linked.

Looks a good one though.

7. Nowhereman

Pleased with his outing today

8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Kid's got it..

9. shaunm

Whats everyones opinion who watched him today?Is he direct like Forrest or more of a McGeady?

10. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Delighted for the kid.

Been working his * off for the last wee while since Brendan told him he'll get his chance.

Start him and Ralston up until the Hearts game.

11. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

To me he looked more of a Roberts.

Doesn't look anywhere near as direct as Forrest or even McGeady. One of your modern day inside wingers.

shaunm likes this.
  12. 703Bhoy

Great young talent!! Excited to see more from him in the coming final weeks

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2017
    Idioteque likes this.
  14. The Greenman King of kings

An excellent young prospect by the sound of things. Maybe we've found Paddy's replacement already :fear:

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

BR on teenagers @mikeyjohnston10 & @anthonyralston8 "With young players about timing. Have always given young players an opportunity."

BR: "Want to ensure they go in with other good players at the right time & want to them in against a team who will be a test - important."

BR: "Young Mikey, you see the profile of player I like. He replaced @Scotty_Sinclair which is never easy but he did very well."

BR: "Very exciting player. Fast, still has a lot growth left in him. Once he gets better on final pass & adds goals, will be a big talent"

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

17. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Stylish player, smooth on the ball nice ball control and trickery. The few times i've seen him he's a similar playing style to Ribery I think, quick off the mark, decent on both wings, controls the ball well with both feet and can beat players with direct running and quick feet or trickery. Hopefully progresses into a good player, seems a natural footballer already well rounded.

The Greenman likes this.
  18. BR Fenian Army

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SCOTT BROWN SCOTT BROWN HE'S THE LEADER OF THE CELTIC
    Just signed a 3 year deal. I'd keep him in the first team until the end of the season the bhoy looks class. Already looks better than GMS

lockerbie-bhoy likes this.
  19. Jax Teller

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thumb
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Soldier song
    I must say i did confuse him for roberts a few times today, very similar style.

And a handsome * like paddy.

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CELTIC is delighted to announce that highly-rated youngster Michael Johnston has today signed a new three-year deal with the club.

The 18-year-old put pen to paper in Paradise a matter of minutes after making his competitive debut for the Hoops in the 4-1 victory over St Johnstone to complete an unforgettable day for the winger.

Part of the Celtic Youth Academy since the age of nine, Johnston has enjoyed an impressive season for the Development Side and he played a starring role in their 3-0 Youth Cup victory over Rangers last week at Hampden.

It was these types of performances which prompted Brendan Rodgers to hand Johnston his Celtic bow this afternoon against the Perth side.

And the manager was thrilled at how Johnston and fellow teenager, Anthony Ralston, acquitted themselves in another sparkling showing from the six-in-a-row champions.

Speaking exclusively to the official website after penning his new contract, Johnston said: “It’s been a really special day and I’m absolutely delighted. I have played for this club for about 10 years and I have supported them my full life so to make my debut and then sign the contract today and commit my future here is unbelievable.

“It was literally straight after the final whistle. Once I got changed, I went straight in and got the deal signed. I knew it was happening and it all came on the right day.

“I have committed my future here for a reason. This is where I want to be and hopefully I can get many more appearances under my belt.

“This is the club I have supported all of my life so it’s always easier when they come in with a new contract offer. I wanted to get it done very quickly so I could focus on playing for Celtic.

“Making my debut was one of my goals this season and to do that was a delight and to sign the contract just topped it off.

“All my family were there when I signed and it was a special day. They were all delighted for me and they were a bit emotional when I was playing as well. All of them were really happy for me.”

“This has been a great season for Celtic, one of the best in the club’s history, and it’s something you want to be part of. I will be aiming to get more games under my belt and keep improving and doing what the gaffer the asking me to do.

“I wanted to go out and play with a freedom and show I have the personality to put on the jersey, play well and not let the nerves get the better of me.

“I had a couple of good chances that I probably should have taken but hopefully I get more chances and more goals in the future."

Celtic’s Head of Youth, Chris McCart was delighted to see such a promising player commit his future to the club.

He said: “We only really started about extending his contract a week ago so it’s a credit to him and his family that we were able to do it so quickly.

“His agents Lee Robinson and Lee Naylor came in and they were very good to deal with along with Michael, so it was very quickly put together, and the timing couldn’t have been better with him making his competitive debut and signing a new three-year contract at the same time.

“Michael has had a very good season working with Tommy McIntyre and Jim McGuinness. He has been at the Academy since the age of nine, and he has put a lot of effort and dedication in.

“He has always been a Celtic fan, along with his family, and they have been waiting for the day when he would make his debut and I felt he had an excellent one. He was well received by the fans and he was appreciated by his team-mates.

“It was a credit to the manager, who has seen all the talent and the potential in Michael, to offer him the opportunity of his first-team debut.

“He has went through a lot of growing in the last 18 months height-wise and now what he needs is more sports science, all the proper diet and nutrition, along with developing all the other aspects of his game, which will make him more well rounded to realise his potential.”