1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone else feel Deila has been unlucky?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by DJ CJ, Apr 18, 2016.

Discuss Does anyone else feel Deila has been unlucky? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. DJ CJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    If I'm honest I have to say that I feel he's been very unlucky during his time here. Let's go back to the game against maribor in the cl qualifiers, if johansen hadn't cleared van dijk's header off the line and then scored his 1 vs 1 we'd have been in the Champions league that season. If Steven McLean wasn't such a * it's very likely that we'd have won a treble last year, Deila would have been only only the third man in celtic's history to do it.

In the Malmö game if the referee handn't given a handball against bitton when it was the Malmö player that handled it, it should either have been a goal or a penalty and a red card, again we'd probably have qualified for the Champions League. If it wasn't for izaguirre's madness in the Amsterdam arena, efe ambrose's * display against fenerbache and our countless missed chances against Ajax at home then we could have made the Europa league knockouts.

There's no doubt that some of our performances this season have been diabolical and it's probably time for change but things could have gone so differently for Deila in the last couple of years. Let's not forget he did better than Lennon did when he started.

2. This Charming Man

Ifs and buts, no excuses for getting dominated off that two bit mob for 90 minutes, he's not fit for the job, simple.

3. AJ Styles Moussa Dembele's eyes Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    The Inverness game was the only time he's been unlucky

4. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

No.

And as many know I've been vocal in my support of him. In fact I believe he's a lucky Manager, if anything.

5. Derrybhoy1

He has been quite unlucky at various times of his Celtic career. What has ultimately brought it to an end is our serious lack of consistency due to numerous factors which can be laid at Ronny's feet. You cannot trust us to play good for 2-3 games in a row.

That's the short and sweet answer

6. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    And if my auntie had baws she'd be my uncle.

There have been unlucky points but at the same time he's had plenty of time and luck on his side too.

7. GavCFC1

No excuses whatsoever for yesterday, nothing unlucky about it

8. Glorious1967

its us thats been unlucky being lumbered with him

9. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

If he wasn't a stubborn idealist who was willing to sacrifice his principles and put Celtic before his pride after the countless warning signs then he could be a decent football manager.

10. Bunk Moreland

No, we should be beating those 3 teams comfortably, not whining about single flash points in the games that could have went our way.

11. pablo88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    When

12. DJ CJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    If Roberts scores his sitter then we probably wouldn't have been knocked out yesterday. I'm just trying to say that he's been let down a lot by individual errors.

13. Norseman

He has had a * squad with player's that don't play for him. But that's his own fault.

14. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

No.

We have played some beautiful football under him and we have had our fair share of misfortune, but our performances away to Malmo, twice against Molde and against the huns are completely and utterly unacceptable. He should count himself lucky he lasted this long.

15. JamesM09

I wouldn't say he's been unlucky. A perfect example is the Maribor game you mentioned there. Johansen cleared VVD's header, but we only got into that game in the first place by pure luck.

He was also very lucky in the first season in the Europa League. Drew a * group and scraped by nearly every game, totally rode our luck. We wouldn't have made the knockouts of the Europa League this season. If Efe hadn't * it against Fenerbahce someone else would have, likely the same with Izzy in Amsterdam.

For me, the Champions League qualifiers are a hit and a miss. We nearly knocked Malmo out and got in this season but it wouldn't have been a great achievement really.. literally only needed to knock out a poor Malmo side. Same with last season and both of Lennon's seasons. It's great to get into the Champions League and it obviously isn't easy, but I think a poor manager could certainly qualify.

I think sometimes people forget you get a lot more money for getting into the Champions League than what you have to actually do to get into it. The first two ties should more or less be a gimme unless you get a bad draw. The final game you could be up against a side poorer than you or * farmers from Kazakhstan.

Deila might have had some bad luck, but he's certainly had good luck too.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2016
  16. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    @Norseman

The squad isn't THAT bad.

Aye, it's distinctly average compared to others but the right manager could get a * of alot more out of that side. It's still packed with internationals and some good young Scottish talent.

17. DJ CJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Well we just won the Scottish cup in Neil's first season, Deila did a double(should have been a treble). Neil also got pumped out Europe by braga and Utrecht, Deila got to el knockouts.

18. Markybhoy

He hasn't been unlucky. But there are two areas in which I do feel sorry for him and I will defend him.

1. Assistant manager. He should have been allowed to pick his own backroom staff. How much of a difference would it have made? I don't know. But I do know one thing, it wouldn't have made things go any worse.

2. Board signings. I totally believe the board have handed Deila players they chose. How many of Deila's signings have really been players Deila wanted? We'll never know that but I bet it's less than we'd all like to believe it is.

As I said in another thread, our board is too conservative and our chief executive is too hands on. It needs to stop.

19. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    Very, very lucky to be given the job in the first place. Every manager could list events like these and say they've been unlucky.

20. pablo88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    naw ur right a conveniently forgot Lenny failed ha, heeds wasted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk