1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Champs League Group, All Chat In Here.

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by TAB, Aug 9, 2012.

Discuss Champs League Group, All Chat In Here. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    No great shame in that though, how many teams in the last 5 years have beaten Barca at the Nou Camp? Maybe like 10?

I don't think we can safely say we've broken any curse yet, as it was of course only one game last night, but we definitely played as confidently and relaxed as we've played away for * knows how long. We were in complete control of the game, from defence to attack and they never really looked like scoring.

That was the most pleasing aspect of last night.

I think Lenny's gamble/tactic on getting the players in early over the summer and taking them to Germany to work on fitness has paid off :50:

2. Higgie

Wouldnae go as far as saying they're 'a thing of the past'. Definitely an improvement there though.
    [​IMG]

3. SamarasBhoy88

We have started to play well away from home and hopefully that will continue.

4. archy1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Joe Ledley
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I thought towards the end of last season that we were playing a lot better away than we were at home, granted that was domestic, but even over the two Helsinki legs last night was a stronger performance than a week ago. It's nothing to be overly worried about, at Parkhead we have a knack for pulling off the result even when we're not playing as well as we should be, but its fair to say that while the away curse may be over, there's evidence to suggest Parkhead isn't the fortress it once was.

5. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Why are we tying the failures of past managers and celtic teams to the current crop of players and Neil Lennon? We should ignore that stat, which is largely irrelevant to what currently is going on, that the hacks of scotland use to put extra pressure and distractions on our current manager and players.

6. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    Put it this way - we had a man sent off last night. Did we capitulate and self-implode like the Celtic I've known to do for the past few years? No, we went and got another goal, sealing victory.

7. Markybhoy

Neil Lennon and quite a few of the current squad were involved in the away matches against Utrecht and Sion. Both of which were an embarrassment.

8. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Yea, pin that on them, not results under Mowbray, Strachan & O'Neill!!

Lennon has learned alot from those 2 matches in terms of how to prepare the team for early european matches. You have to remember he is still quite an inexperienced manager that was still trying to sort out the mess of Mowbray when we played Utrecht and trying to deal with the SPL season change when we played Sion. We made the mistake of having a preseason tour in Australia last year aswell. The fact that we had 18 more training sessions before the 1st HJK match compared to Sion says alot about how badly last season started.

People just have to accept that he'll continue to make mistakes because of inexperience rather than throw irrelevant stats around as criticism.

9. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    The Sion game wasn't that bad. We never played THAT bad and we were 1-0 and a man down from basically the kick-off, mind Sion were the 2nd best team in Switzerland. Could have been worse.

Unless you mean Utrecht and Braga.

10. TAB

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony.
    We've definitely moved forward under Neil Lennon.

I won't get carried away though because we do still need to add that extra bit of quality at the back and up front but it's the fact we can now go over to places like Helsinki, where we would have previously have struggled before Neil took over and play that well that's so pleasing.

11. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Honestly? I don't think we fully have and I'm not sure we ever fully will.

Last night was a definite start though towards better away performances. Solid and controlling performance and capped off with a couple of goals thankfully.

12. Markybhoy

You're preaching to the choir here. I've said in other threads that European Football is a steep learning curve at the moment for Neil Lennon as a manager. Mistakes will be made and a degree of patience needs to be shown.

Last night was a step in the right direction though and it was good to see.

No, I meant Sion. I thought Celtic were pitiful that night. Granted, having a man sent off in the 1st minute didn't help but we were pitiful nonetheless.

13. liammcdowell

Where the climate is raw and the gun makes the law
    Fav Celtic Player:
    KT63
    To be fair, Helsinki are a poor side who we should have thumped at home rather than leaving it to chance.

That being said it was a mature performance last night, night and day when compared with the likes of Utrecht and Braga a couple of years ago or even Sion last year.

I'll wait until we play someone decent and beat them to say the curse is over.

14. CelticBhoyDavid

Fav Celtic Player:
    Would have to be King of Kings, Henrik Larsson.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I'm not picky.
    Was definitely a bad day at the office for us on that one and us getting a man sent off after only 45 seconds tore the game plan to shreds and we just never recovered from it.

I don't think our away struggles are a thing of the past just purely because of about 3 or 4 matches BUT it's definitely a step in the right direction and hopefully we can push on from the games like Udinese, Rennes, Helsinki and even Atletico Madrid. I know we got beat over there in that match BUT it wasn't a hammering like I remember some people at the time saying we were gonna get and we gave a good account of ourselves, especially for Lennon's first real stint in European group stage matches.

Just adds to the experience for this young team of ours and Lennon of course and here's hoping we can give a good account against whoever we get either in the Champions League or Europa League.

15. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    We beat times of the same quality as Helsinki or even better in Europe under O'Neill and Strachan. It's when we get to the Group stages where our away form becomes a problem.

16. thecolgan

Fav Celtic Song:
    LTPS / BOTOB
    What you guys talking about. We bet sion 3-0 remember......

17. getaresult

We always managed to concede stupid goals away. Against Man Utd in 2007? we played far better at Old Trafford and lost due to giving them a couple of goals. At Parkhead we were not anything as good yet we won it thanks to sublime free kick from Naka and penalty save by Boruc.

18. jokeybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Ynwa
    Too be honest we should be beating teams like this home and away.i always felt the media etc were a bit harsh with our away record in the CL as you only need to look at the calibre of teams who used to come to Celtic park and we sent home with their tails between their legs

19. Rossenspeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    Beram Kayal
    I don't take much from the performances last season if I'm honest.

The Europa League meant very little to Udinese as you could see by the crowd and to be honest, they could have won 4-1, big Fraser was immense. I thought Rennes were pretty crap if truth be told.

Last night was certainly encouraging, but remember Mowbray's side winning 2-0 in Moscow? We were outstanding that night and we all know what happened after that.

Let's not get carried away yet.

20. AD1967

Fav Celtic Song:
    love a good walk on
    ive always thought that myself too, particularly under WGS. we would concede a few goals early on and the game would be lost before its started. to win away in europe you need to be good off the ball, hopefully the defensive qualities of wanyama, kayal and ledley would provide suitable cover for our defence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.