1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Fraudgers!

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 20, 2016.

Discuss Brendan Fraudgers! in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I'm not into banning people, mate; but I need to make a mental note of the name and ignore him from now on.
    I don't know which it is, but he's either a troll or knows nothing about football. Either way, his opinion is not worth my time anymore.

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

BRENDAN RODGERS slammed referee Kevin Clancy and admits he feared the whistler would cost Celtic a place in the Betfred Cup final.
    Rodgers’ Hoops beat Hibs 4-2 at Hampden to set up a clash with either Rangers or Motherwell on November 26.

But Rodgers was left fuming with officials for awarding the Hibees a penalty early in the second half when Dedryck Boyata clearly won the ball from Martin Boyle.
    He hit out: “Sometimes you look at it and get that initial reaction and then you go back to the repeat and see it differently.

“My initial reaction was that Dedryck recovered well, the boy is running front over the ball, he gets his toe to it and the ball is misdirected.
    “There are two poor decisions, one from the referee who is on his way back and then he is looking for help from the linesman who is facing it.
    “How he gave the penalty I will never know.
    “It gave Hibs a little bit of oxygen and made us really refocus on our game and the players pulled themselves back into it.

“Any coach or manager will tell you that, particularly in the showpiece games, you don’t want a decision to go against you because you don’t get the chance to come back again.
    “There are no replays, it’s a one-off game.
    “But it asked a question of us in terms of our composure and mentality and the players responded well to get the extra goals.
    “I’m absolutely delighted, it’s a brilliant result after the exertions and travel of midweek, to come and play against a Hibs team that, as we saw a few weeks back, can be a real threat.
    “And we scored four goals
    “It was clear there was a bit of fatigue in our play but that was only natural.
    “When you have that it affects the technique but when you have that mentality and concentration.
    “I tip my hat to them because, as a lot of people would have thought, it could have been a real banana skin for us today.
    “We dealt with that really well.
    “We’ve got to our third final in a year.”

Rodgers added:” At times Mika does a great job for me at centre half but his best position is right full back and he has done that.
    “He is getting prolific at club and international level.
    “I think he has got about four goals or something in six or seven games and two today so a great contribution from him today.
    “He did a great job for the team.
    Callum McGregor was superb for Celtic with Rodgers delighted with the midfielder’s performance.
    He added: “He’s top-class. He was very good.
    “He keeps the ball, is a threat going forward, he’s just blessed with this great natural fitness and he has big temperament, it doesn’t matter what the game is, semi-finals, finals, league games.
    “He’s just seven or eight out of 10, every time he plays.
    “I felt today it was going to be important for us to defend with the ball at times, with the energy level maybe just slightly down, to keep the ball and he is one of the best we have at it.”

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

The IRA and CymruBhoy like this.
  5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

6. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Any news in his training dome? Would be upset if BR doesn't get something he wants..

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

7. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Was right behind that Paul Byrne goal went mental as thought we were onto a pumping.. loved that McClair goal too even tho we still lost I think, remembering them trying the same thing at Tannadice just before it, can't remember if it worked or no lol..

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Good stuff.

9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

BR: "Delighted with the performance of the players and the quality they showed. We’ll look forward to the final when it comes."

BR: "Also, when questions were asked the players reacted superbly. Very good result and performance overall."

BR: "The linesman came in after the game and apologised. He said to Dedryck he made a mistake, takes a lot of courage to do that."

BR: "The boys played very well. It’s not by accident, they are working very hard in every way and are getting their rewards."

BR: "@MotherwellFC also did very well yesterday. Stephen’s got them very committed and together. It’s clear in how they play.

BR: "It will be tough game for us but we’ll deal with that more when it comes."

BR on @AberdeenFC: "We don't underestimate going to Pittodrie. I've been up there twice and they were difficult games for us."

BR: "We'll expect exactly the same. Committed team that have started the season well and will want to do well at home."

BRENDAN Rodgers says his team’s commitment and approach to their recovery will ensure Celtic are at their best for the top-of-the-table clash with Aberdeen on Wednesday night. The Hoops will make the journey to Pittodrie for the Premiership game against second-place Aberdeen amidst a busy run of fixtures.

And the Celtic manager, having seen his side book a place in the League Cup final following a 4-2 victory over Hibernian at the weekend, is anticipating a tough test at Pittodrie.

Speaking to the media at Lennoxtown today (Monday the manager said: “We don’t underestimate going up to Pittodrie. In my time here I’ve been up twice. They’ve been difficult games for us so I expect the same. They are a very committed side who have started the season well in terms of results and they’ll want to do well at home.

“We saw it from the outset that they were the closest challengers to Celtic. Last season we played them six times so I was able to get a good look and see the commitment and the qualities in their team, and Derek McInnes has done an outstanding job.

“They have that combination between either Adam Rooney or Stevie May on the side. They’re both right-footed so naturally want to come in. Kenny McLean is a good player, as is Graeme Shinnie, and wherever he plays, whether at full-back or midfield, he does an excellent job too. They also have some good young players in the team."

Celtic go into the game full of confidence, having extended their unbeaten domestic run to an impressive 60 games following the weekend win. And the Hoops boss explained that his players' diligent approach to their recovery will enable them to be at their best when they meet the Dons.

“To play the way we did and to play to that level of fitness is a real testament to the players," he said. "It’s what you do when you come back from being at those midweek games in the Champions League which is crucial. It’s a real testament to how well the players rest, how they recover and how they refuel. They maximise that recovery period very well.

“It’s a great compliment to the sports science team here as well. The players are refuelling straight away after the game. They have all their recovery strategies over the following 48 hours so it puts them in a condition where I only had to make a few changes in the game.

“They’re working very hard every single day in every aspect of being a top-class footballer and they’re getting their rewards.”

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    Vic Vega likes this.
  13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

BRENDAN RODGERS has slammed Scottish referees for not punishing challenges that ‘threaten the lives and careers’ of players on the back of Sunday’s Hampden howler.

Whistler Steven McLean has come under scrutiny for his handling of the Betfred Cup semi-final between Rangers and Motherwell as the game descended into chaos in the second half.

Rangers centre-half Fabio Cardoso went off with a broken nose after an unpunished collision with Ryan Bowman, while no red was produced when Louis Moult and Bruno Alves clashed in a heated tanlge that saw the Portuguese aim a boot at the Well hero with the Steelmen holding on to a 2-0 lead.

Rodgers’ Celtic will face Motherwell in next month’s showpiece as a result of their 4-2 win over Hibs on Saturday, and the Parkhead boss has voiced his concern at a lack of authority failing to clamp down on dangerous play.

He said: “With Sunday’s game, what you are looking at is authority. You want officials with authority.

“They may not always get decisions right but don’t just let the game go and hope the players officiate it. That was a dangerous game on Sunday.

“You are endangering players’ lives and careers with some of the challenges we saw.

“That’s not the first time. It’s been ongoing. You need officials with authority but the game got out of control on Sunday.

“I can see why Pedro [Caixinha, the Rangers manager who was sent to the stand] would have been annoyed – absolutely.

“Then it got out of control at the end, because players - known professionals – were trying to avenge things.

“That’s a prestigious game, the League Cup semi-final on TV with kids watching, and it’s now what you want to see.”

Rodgers’ concern over how tightly games being officiated is nothing new. Only last season in the Scottish Cup final Kieran Tierney was taken off after being clattered by Aberdeen’s Jayden Stockley, another collision which did not receive a red card from referee Bobby Madden.

Tierney was also on the receiving end of a late challenge himself from Bowman when Motherwell came to Parkhead last season.

“You saw Kieran Tierney in the Scottish Cup Final and it wasn’t even a foul. You saw it up at Pittodrie with the same player against him, the boy Stockley,” said the Celtic manager.

“It’s either officials who unfortunately don’t have an eye for the game, don’t have a feel for the real details of the game, or who are frightened to make a decision.

“There is retrospective action available in Scotland, so in situations like this you have to look at it.

“The centre half [Cardoso] came off the pitch on Sunday - Christ, if he’d been shot, he wouldn’t have looked worse. It was unbelievable.”

He added: “I tend to think the referees here do their very, very best. The problem now is the consequence. The officials here are not full-time and that’s not to say they are not as caring, or anything like that.

“They don’t have the finances up here to pay them full-time, but that doesn’t mean that in their own mind they aren’t.

“It’s about authority. In games like Sunday, you need a strong referee, linesmen and fourth official as a team. That game was let out of control.

“Steven McLean is a fit guy.

“The guys in our game on Saturday, Kevin [Clancy] and his officials, were doing their best. But they are showpiece games.

“We talk about players being calm under pressure. It’s about ensuring the officials get that support as well, because these are big games with big decisions.

“How that game on Sunday ended up with 11 against 11, I will never know.”

While Rangers are left to complain about Motherwell’s competitiveness in Sunday’s semi-final, Rodgers insists that despite the physicality shown by Stephen Robinson’s men, there is no fear about the prospect of playing the Fir Park club next month.

The two will come together three times in a row in domestic action, with the first meeting being in the Hampden finale. And while the Celtic boss acknowledges Well forward Bowman has previously irked him with his challenge on Tierney back in February, the prospect of going toe-to-toe with the Steelmen is not a worry.

“It was the same player who tackled Kieran last season,” he said. “It’s authority. As an official, you can’t be affected in any way. You have to be concise.

“When you have good players wanting to win, you need to be clear in your judgement.

“There was an incident where Bruno Alves didn’t even get spoken to. The referee was four yards away.

“That shows officials were affected in the game.

“What you will have in the final is two totally contrasting styles of football. That’s pretty clear.

“We are not worried about that. We have gone away to Aberdeen, tough games, when they were direct and we’ve shown we can defend. We can deal with that.

“For me, it’s about players’ welfare. If you are endangering an opponent, his career - the players up here are not on multi-million pound deals. So if they are out with head injuries or broken legs because games have been allowed to get out of control, then I don’t think that’s very good for Scottish football.”

freederry20 likes this.
  14. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Nice bit of pressure applied by BR before tomorrow's game and the Cup Final. Expect more of the same in the run up to the final, mixed in with praise for the opposing managers..

He's a master at speaking with absolute clarity and applying pressure mixed with praise to opposing managers, media & officials..& even on occasion to our own players.

Love the guy, never gives the press a sniff.

15. Mr. Slippyfist

Aye, he is a sauve operator is oor Brendan.

I think what he was talking about more though is the fact that the referee on two occasions let the play continue whilst a player was down on the ground with a head injury - a total no no, of which I'm sure McLean will be punished for.

JC Anton likes this.
  16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

17. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    What a man.

18. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Tactical masterclass..

Had McInnes chasing his * today by leaving Sinclair out and going with KT wingback..

19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

20. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    Practically had the game won before kick off with way he set us up fantastic hope he never leaves.

StPauli1916 and Idioteque like this.