1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Have we been spun a line about strengthening the team?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by ellboy, Sep 2, 2008.

Discuss Have we been spun a line about strengthening the team? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. KingBoruc1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    It was caldwells ball into the box that lead to jvoh goal against the huns on 94th minute :D he should have retired after that game as a legend.

2. gh.CJ

agreed he's deserved his place i meant it was pish that captain is total donkey, guess i should have edited the quote lol i like caldwell and mcmanus best weve got imo if were not going to play bobo

3. lennybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenry
    At least Bobo never spent all his time talking to the press and bigging himself up only to come unstuck at crucial times (remember Barca everyone?) Not saying a player should be crucified for making a mistake but at least concentrate on the football and stop being a big time Charlie, You aint good enough to do both. Caldwell best passer at the club? Don't make me laugh :47: At least Mick has the sense to know his limitations and hoof the ball away! Bobo likewise would just take man and ball. Know who I would rather see but aint gonna happen.

For all you conspiracy theorists out there maybe it was Bobo that did the Wee Mans daughter and not wee Derek? Mmm, think about it.

4. gh.CJ

what do you mean lol did i miss something:56:

5. Colin McRae

Fav Celtic Player:
    henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    what was the line? there hasn't been one. since day one of the window we've been told we'll only be bringing in if its quality. (crosas and paddy are potentials) and not just stalking fillers.
    we were'nt told we'd be signing a lot of players. so no, we havn't been spun a line. we've been let down though. esp with tamas imo.

6. lennybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenry
    Mibbees its Bobo thats the Donkey....:56::56::56:

7. gh.CJ

8. vennagourlay

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Championees
    I'd like to see the big man return...take no * and go through everything in his path..nacho novo first please!!

9. Chu the tim

have you been watching Celtic the last 6 months, or are you just a paper fan?

10. Chu the tim

if you * cant see that Caldwell has been playing FAR better than big Mick the last couple of games, as well as the last 6 months, then i * give up.

Does that mean Caldwell is a great player? naw, far from it. But its fashionable to slag him off. The real fans who watch the games know who the guilty party is out the two.

11. Tony Angelino

Fav Celtic Player:
    Chris Sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Jimmy Johnstone on the wing.
    Caldwell talks and * up, Bobo doesn't talk and * up (Seville, Lyon?).

I'm sure if we went through all of Bobos performances we could highlight as many mistakes as Caldwell makes.

12. TheHolyGoalie. Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson & boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    looks like it to me

13. Chu the tim

the team is more or less the same as last season. no real progression

14. crosas17

Fav Celtic Player:
    crosas and rogne
    Fav Celtic Song:
    let the people sing
    i agree with that

15. qatar bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    the celtic song / boys of the old brigade
    been hung out to dry again, come january we will be told the same old flannel again:31:

16. mmmikey

Fav Celtic Player:
    McStay, Moravcik, Di Canio, LARSSON!
    Erm the squad HAS been strengthened.

Shall I say it again?

The squad HAS been strengthened.

We have also got rid of significant dead wood which many people moaning at the board would cite as a major problem.

Riordan, Pressley, Sno, Gravesen, Adam Virgo and also John Kennedy is off the wage bill. All thats left to go is Donati and Balde.

We have taken in 2 players from the Premiership, 1 from Barcelona and a centreback to complete our 4. How can people say our team has not significantly changed? Assuming Crosas "makes it" we could be looking at:

.........................Boruc.........................
    Hinkle.....Caldwell...........Loovens.....Wilson
    Naka......Robson...Crosas...........McGeady
    ..................Samaras..Maloney..............

The above is not some "IF / MAYBE" - in fact its looking quite likely assuming Crosas can fit in and Strachan finally drops Mick.

The only half truth in this thread is that we needed a bona-fide left back and this hasn't happened. I really cannot understand why people are suggesting we haven't revamped the rest of the team as the indisputable fact is we have. It may not have cost the £10 million plus that the huns have spent but we have strengthened significantly.

17. ellboy

Fav Celtic Player:
    BOBO,AIDEN,ATRUR,NAKA
    We were also told- only players will be brought in who are better than we already have.

Perhaps Maloney falls into that catagory, the others are highly debateable.

Exactly the squad, not the first team as was promised. Hence the quote "Significant strengthening".

The three players haven´t started together in the same side, I know it´s only early days. However if WGS was confident in them they would have gone straight into the team.

We can only wait and see.

1st If they become regular starters.

2nd They have to be good enough to stay in the team.

I would be suprised if both were not achievable, as I would think they could replace the mediocre players who are currently in front of them in the pecking order.

Also in term of deadwood players I supose that´s all relative in terms of your personal views.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2008
  18. chanbhoy67

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    There have obviously been additions to the side but none that will make an immediate impact. No left back brought in, no 'blue chip' signing that Lawell regularly harps on about and nobody else brought in before the window closed even though he said they would be looking. Its a yes from me!

19. Graham1888

slowly walking down the hall,faster than a cannonb
    Fav Celtic Player:
    McGrain.McStay Sutton.Thommo.Lubo.Mjallby
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields
    I'd disagree with that Mike the 3.5million nett spent on guys who don't improve our first team straight away(with the possible exception of Maloney) is not on imo.We were spun the line about a blue chip signing by Lawwell,as usual just before the ST renewals.
    The failure to buy a left full is criminal,it's been a gaping wound in our defence for 2 and a half years now.
    This extensive European wide scouting network we are supposed to have is a myth,we only spotted Crosas because of where Barcelona choose to play their friendlies and he's still no playing anyways and onyl a loan signing pretty much anyways.

Nobody was asking for an outrageous and reckless spending spree. We know our financial limitations and understand the restrictions we work under. But we haven't even come close to meeting our minimum expectations.I mean 2 kit launches,ST cash
    a big CL pot and our major signing is Maloney in a deal which effictively means we paid Villa to borrow him for 18 months.Yet agian the supporters have been short changed and i think that once more we are in the position of having a board who have forgotten that the most important thing is what happens on the pitch not another record profit margin

20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

We've been a spun a line, the board let us down, the manager is crap, our players are crap, we're going to get papped out of Europe and we're going to lose the league.

YAWN.