1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Don't think there has been much difference with them Europe wise tbh

2. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    I suspect he might be fighting an internal battle against some who aren't fully on board with the football. He's said repeatedly in his last few interviews and press conferences that they've lost some belief, but the interesting thing is that he didn't just say the players but mentioned staff as well.

There are other things that suggest that too, like how he made a point of highlighting Romero (clearly one who is on board) and saying he needs to get some of what's in him into the other players.

One thing Ange is spot on about is that to play that style of football you can't just drip your toe in - you have to be all in, otherwise the whole system breaks down. It'll be interesting to see what they do in the summer, because I'd guess that getting certain ones out will be almost as important as who comes in.

Last edited: May 6, 2024
    NakamuraTastic likes this.
  3. cammy07

Their squad is rotten outwith a few players, the issue is their fans (and fans of the epl generally) live in cuckoo land and expect immediate results so he’ll only get so long to try and implement his style whilst not winning games regularly.

NakamuraTastic and The_Bhoy like this.
  4. murphy88

Hmm. I’m in two minds on that to be honest. Rodgers went to England and took a team who are smaller than Tottenham to 5th place twice. He won an FA Cup and a community shield and also took Liverpool to the closest they had been to a league title in roughly 25 years. In terms of what both done here, it’s difficult to truly compare. Rodgers won every domestic competition he entered in his first time here, but the opposition was weaker than Ange faced. The football was very good initially with Rodgers, but it did get a a bit stale, albeit we were still winning games.

Had Ange been here another season this might well have happened as well. We definitely weren’t as good at the end of last season compared to 6 months prior. Nowhere near it in fact, but we were still winning and that’s all that matters. In Europe neither have set the heather on fire. Rodgers done very well to navigate some difficult CL qualifiers, but we couldn’t lay a glove on better opponents. I do think he found a way this year to make us far more dangerous going forward than previously under him though, but the players we had available made it too difficult. Ange had a better team last season but a mix of poor finishing, a bit of bad luck and some tactical naivety cost us.

I think it’s that tactical naivety that makes it a difficult one for me in terms of who is the better manager. Ange’s style definitely suited us domestically as we just overran the opposition and we completely suffocated them. I think Rodgers more pragmatic style will suit us better in Europe. The tactical naivety is also costing Ange down South just now. They are absolutely wide open. A top manager recognises that and alters things. His stubbornness stops him from doing that, and it will hold him back from going to the very top in my opinion. It’s also why what Rodgers has accomplished in England won’t be matched by Ange I don’t think.

Last edited: May 6, 2024
    NakamuraTastic and AdamRS like this.
  5. kenniemk2

Even after licking the kings ring ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    As much as europendodnt go our way....a pundit said when we were playing Madrid at parkhead that we had played the best football in the tournament.
    Ange also played amazing stuff....and got horsed. But should have and had more chances and possession than any celtic team in Europe.
    Small margins and defensive frailty

Ange team takes those chances might have went through
    Rodgers team takes those chances could have went through.
    Both had injury problems in Europe also.

We just need proper clinical strikers..
    Kyogo did better this season in that sense. But need to stop shooting ourselves which is the case more often than not

murphy88 likes this.
  7. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    A lot of our players looked spent by the end as well! Anyway, he said he never goes back so he's not coming back. Will be interesting to see if BR walks at the end, he may well do.

JC Anton likes this.
  8. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Rodgers won't walk, unless we have a disaster at the end of the season.

9. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    David Moyes is going to be free soon. I think he'd do a great job for us in terms of making us tough to beat in Europe. The football would also be horrible to watch.

I prefer an Ange, personally; but I can see why others might take a different point of view.

10. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Still plenty of time for Ange to prove himself. As it stands, Rodgers has the best CV, no question; but I believe in Ange. I think if Spurs stick by him and back him in the transfer market, he can have them in the top 4 next season and maybe challenging the season after.

11. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Somewhere between those two styles is the most sensible approach. There is no fun in watching Celtic getting embarrassed 6 or 7 nil, for the whole of Europe to see. I’m sure Ange knew he simply didn’t have the finances to make ‘Angeball’ work in Europe, you can’t play that style of football with massively inferior players to the opposition - you will get * DESTROYED. It most likely one of the reasons he left.

Random Review likes this.
  12. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Somewhere between Moyes and Ange in style? I imagine I'll be ridiculed for saying this; but for me, that's Lenny.

13. murphy88

I’m not so sure to be honest. You would have to think the likes of Man Utd and Chelsea are going to get it right at some point. I’d be amazed if Spurs finished above any of the top 3 currently next season as well. Ange had a big job on his hands just to remain in the job I feel at this stage. The players seem to have chucked it. There’s usually only one outcome after that happens.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  14. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    We've already seen improvement under Rodgers this season in Europe even if the end result didn't seem like it.

His style suits Europe IMO and if given the funds will get more results.

Rydo1888*, murphy88 and Random Review like this.
  15. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    It's hard to know for sure. Let's just see what happens. I prefer not to write him off.

16. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Chelsea who knows, the contracts they’ve dished out and FFP stuff with them they might have * it. It might click.

Man Utd the partial takeover and noises coming out from the club trying to gut it top to bottom, they’re probably at the start of a turn that’ll see them back at the peak of England 4/5 years down the road when there’s no Pep there no Klopp etc.

But Ange, if he recruits right in the summer and improves again on what he’s done already - he’s outperformed Klopp and Arteta’s first seasons at Liverpool and Arsenal respectively. And he’ll be absolutely making sure that he makes summer count, 2 year or so improving on his start at Spurs, his previous links at City group, Pep will go in the next couple of seasons.

Man City could be the obvious choice, but he’ll need to keep up consistency and improve Spurs like the start of this season rather than the way it’s petered out a bit for it to happen. He’s absolutely * elite though, does anyone who’s seen him operate here have a doubt that he can make that happen?

Random Review likes this.
  17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I’m not convinced if it’s down to the likes of Kyogo having the experience the year before and being more clinical that got that improvement, Ange’s run the * sitters and chances we didn’t take in Europe was mental. This season the players looked more confident.

Both the CL runs this year and under Ange the most annoying thing is, not once did we have a full strength team available. * wish Starfelt and CCV under Ange could have played, this season under BR it was as makeshift as we could get as well at the back.

First choice midfield both runs largely unavailable as well. O’Riley under Ange needing to play DM, Hatate being unavailable for BR.

BR though, previous teams he’s played in the CL with, best he done was the first season with Dembele there. Better than he ever managed with Liverpool, his record in Europe is notoriously bad.

NomDePlum and Lewis Kerr like this.
  18. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    The cold hard facts that for some reason certain Celtic fans just don’t like to hear is that Neil Lennon achieved many of our best results in Europe in recent times. Qualifying for the last 16 of CL, beating Lazio home and away, beating Barcelona etc. Some Celtic fans react as if they’ve just had something violently inserted up their * if you dare to give Neil Lennon the credit he deserves, it provokes a very strange bitter reaction. To be fair it’s nearly exclusively by the online clown brigade, when you speak to real people who frequent Celtic Park, they are more than happy to acknowledge Neil Lennon’s achievements.

19. Onefootwonder

I think most people acknowledge Lennon's achievement as our manager. I doubt many people will ever forget beating that Barcelona side.

Whilst acknowledging his achievements you can'tp ignore the bad bits. When things go wrong for a manager at a club it's the way it ended that will stick in most people's memories.

I don't think Lennon should have returned to us as manager. His rating and credibility as a Celtic manager would have been much higher if he didn't.

20. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Eh? Our draw this season was far easier than last imo.

Real > Atletico
    Leipzig > Lazio
    Donetsk probably weren't as good as feyenoord on paper but still have a long track record of doing well at that level in recent times whereas Feyenoord don't. They were both beatable though.

Lewis Kerr and NakamuraTastic like this.