1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Viljami Sinisalo

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Henrik 07, May 2, 2024.

Discuss Viljami Sinisalo in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

ASTON VILLA are facing a fight to keep young keeper Viljami Sinisalo with Celtic interested in signing the Finnish international.

The Glasgow giants need a new keeper for next season as former England no1 Joe Hart has retired from the game.

Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers is looking at a number of targets and has been impressed by £3million-rated Sinisalo who spent last year on loan at Exeter.

A number of Championship clubs are also looking at the 22-year-old who has one year left on his current deal at Villa Park, having joined the club five years ago.

Sinisalo spent the entire season on loan at Exeter in League One and played 50 games.

He helped them reach the last 16 of the Carabao Cup, knocking out Luton on the way.

He said: “It’s been the best year of my footballing life. It’s been brilliant.

Crilly likes this.
  2. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    He won POTY down south and seems very well rated among their fans.

At the same time, I don't think GK is an area we should mess about with, would like a proven, experienced player there. This boys had 2 full seasons, one of which was in the Scottish Championship.

3. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

how this guy doesn't get a game for Scotland I'll never know

4. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Won 6 awards at the end of season awards for Exeter and capped twice by Finland now. Looks the sort of guy who we'd maybe regret not getting in a year or two's time. Take.

I see Gary Caldwell is the Exeter manager. No doubt he'll be telling us all about him...

Bangarangura likes this.
  5. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    I know what you mean. We took a similar risk with Fraser Forster though and that worked out well.

Ideal scenario would have been Hart hanging another year with a youngish player gradually taken over

honda likes this.
  6. calmac23

To be honest, reading we were after a 22 yo keeper from Villa made me think it would be someone pish, but after reading up a wee bit, seems he’s been incredible this season and won 6 awards for Exeter lol

As mentioned above though, we can’t really * up the GK signing, and whilst this guy may have promise, he’s still unproven. I’d take him over some of the other names being floated, but still would like us to sign someone better

Crilly likes this.
  7. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Aye we messed up in that scenario, this boy seems good, but he'd be, in essence, a project signing and we can't afford that at GK

martin_d likes this.
  8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I'd like someone with more experience..

With all due respect, the pressure of playing for us compared to Exeter in the lower leagues is obvioust o everyone..

He does sound impressive though. Could be a gem..

9. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Never seen him play but he does sound impressive, in fairness. I worry about younger goalkeepers though.

Ideally, we would bring him in with another experienced GK, in like a Hart mould. We will need two goalkeepers anyways because Hart and Siegrist will both be away at the end of this season.

martin_d and McChiellini.. like this.
  10. Guchi Gucci Gold Member Gold Member

We need 2 goalkeepers. Loan to buy with a slightly higher fee helping both sides. Also sign an experienced one.

11. jambo_cfc

Could this be why this guy and begovic rumour has popped up at the same time, is this the two we are looking at.

12. PaddyJamieson

Definitely take him. Seems like one who could go to the top.

13. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Would make sense. An experienced head to help bridge the gap/risk of the younger one for a year.

Is begovic the answer to that though? And does the younger lad need that? At 22 and having now had two full seasons and call ups done, not sure if he would see bench/backup as the correct plan for him?

Or perhaps literally a guy like begovic to just be his cover should he flop?

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

14. jambo_cfc

yeah I was thinking if this this guy flopped , it’s ok playing league one but then to then step into a champions league match in a full house is way different.

Peej likes this.
  15. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Aye it's massive jump.

Think if we went down this route, both players would need to be clearly told their roles in the coming season and what's expected.

Can't be signing a begovic on 30k and this lad, both then expecting first team football.

Nor can we give begovic 30k as a purely backup option, if the younger lad flopped.

So would begovic accept even 15k for a season?

Still not remotely sold on begovic personally, but the plan needs to be really clear to all involved if that was the case.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

16. John Bhoy79 What chance have you got against a tie and a crest

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson,Jinky,McGrory,Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    If the GK's we are being linked with are genuine targets then next season is going to be about as much fun as this one has been.

bhroom likes this.
  17. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Could be a find however I'd rather more experience.

One to perhaps punt on but we can't afford a mistake.

Peej likes this.
  18. murphy88

I know. Being top of the league and having a Scottish Cup final to look forward to is * murder like.

19. John Bhoy79 What chance have you got against a tie and a crest

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson,Jinky,McGrory,Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    We've been poor for the majority of this campaign and have regressed since last season. Yes, we may end up winning the league and even getting a double and I will be grateful if we do but don't try making out that there's nothing in what I say. Our signings have mostly failed so far, the standard of football has often been dull and a lot of our better players have been below their best. I'll always be thankful when Celtic succeed but it doesn't automatically mean we're in great shape.

20. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Wouldn't be completely against signing this boy and Begovic this summer.

Siegrist and Hart will both be gone, so we ideally need two GK's. Bring in an older head in Begovic and a younger, talented GK in Sinisalo.

I'd still prefer to just go for an experienced GK that's in his prime mind you