1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you agree with the ban on new petrol and diesel cars from 2035?

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by BigManSmalls, Oct 30, 2023.

Discuss Do you agree with the ban on new petrol and diesel cars from 2035? in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. FCBarca

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    No, they should’ve banned petrol & diesel cars far earlier

There is no future with fossil fuels as a mainstay

2. BigManSmalls

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    This is the only reason why EVs seem more affordable recently.

IC cars tend to lose about 20% of their value after a year on average. EVs are doing much worse in this regard.

The older the EV the higher the insurance will be as battery damage will be a serious concern. I would be nervous buying a 2nd hand EV. The insurance underwriters certainly are as EVs are being written off for small bumps in fear of battery damage.

Also, our roads are already a * state so having a more two ton corsas flying about isn't going to make it much better. I don't think I have heard anyone mention any preparation for the additional weight of all the batteries. But as there is no serious plan for the actual infrastructure to power it all, I don't see this ban actually happening. It'll be another climate climbdown when we all realise it was never possible anyway.

All it's doing is chopping the legs off of European car manufacturers setting up an open goal for China to undercut them. China are in control of the supply chain for the rest of our green economy so why not give them this as well, eh?

honda likes this.
  3. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Surely that's not even legal. I bet they'd lose in a high court legal battle when they go for millions in fines.

Sorry if you don't sell enough during a cost of living crisis, a product people dont want then we'll just take all your money? Good luck with that.

Although it makes me really want to buy a mental petrol car before it's too late. Might have to pull the trigger if this nonsense goes ahead.

BigManSmalls likes this.