1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

2. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Whatever happens, Rodgers shouldn't be our manager next season.

3. henriks tongue

I've been saying this all season, the team are a direct reflection of the manager who had to be talked out of semi retirement - he's simply not fully up for it.

Lacking fight and passion, far too lackadaisical, slow and deliberate, physically the weakest group I've ever seen as we obsess about 'taking care of the ball'.

All of this makes it so very easy to play against a group of players signed for Ange ball and are simply not suited to a so called, ahem....'more considered' approach.
    We need to improve on this turgid football next season, if we win league this season it will be more from luck that the other mob are * too.

For me, it's either totally revamp the squad or change the coach - or both.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2024
  4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

5. Sween

Assuming we win the league and potentially even the double Id be disappointed if Rodgers left.

This hasn't been a fun season by any means. Signings over 2 windows have been poor, we've had a ton of injuries, and too many game have been slow and dull. But ultimately having a "poor season" and winning a double suggests a pretty unrealistic level of expectations.

We had many a turgid game in which we scraped wins under ONeill, Lennon, Strachan and Delia. We dropped a lot of points drawing in scrappy away days so as long as we won we celebrated the 3 points. It feels like Rodgers first period and then Ange has set a level of expectation that reasonably cannot be attained every season, especially if we aren't spending to replace talent that leaves.

We certainly need a rebuild in the summer and I really hope Rodgers sticks around to lead it.

6. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

The selective memory of our support will baffle me forever.

The revisionism of Ange’s time here in particular is hilarious. We limped over the line in plenty of games when he was here, and was responsible for the most naive Celtic performances in Europe you’ll ever see, yet you’d be forgiven for thinking we were like Pep’s Barca the way folk go on.

Add in to that our best player and main creative outlet was sold and not adequately replaced, you’ve got a huge problem.

There was an abundance amount of drab, turgid, * performances I witnessed under successful Martin O’Neill and Gordon Strachan teams as well.

Both with teams who would wipe the floor with this current squad.

Rodgers has been dealt a * sandwich by the recruitment department. Two centre half’s he doesn’t rate, a couple of randomers from the Korean Second Division, and the evident absence of a new left back we’ve needed for about 3 year.

Ultimately, a lot of our fanbase dislike him and always will because they only see football through the lens of Celtic, have zero perspective of the rest of world football, and fail to sympathise or understand his justifiable reasoning for leaving us in the first place.

Therefore their assessment of him will always be swayed. It feels like people are gagging for him to fail. Odd behaviour.

Slaw, Crilly, M 67 and 8 others like this.
  7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

8. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Deserves credit for starting Forrest..

Subs, at the right time too.

Crilly, NomDePlum and MickeyyMack like this.
  9. Guchi Gucci Gold Member Gold Member

Subs changed the balance of the game. Can't understand people wanting him to go.

Crilly and kenniemk2 like this.
  10. mayo

Also you could argue he deserves criticism for not starting him more this season

Wee Baldy likes this.
  11. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    I think there are a lot of lazy and boring cliches about us at the minute, however the fact we can't seem to put a 90 min performance in is one I can't argue with. We either seem to play well in the first half or the second. I can't see any rhyme or reason to it. We started really well, however even then I was thinking if we don't score now what will happen later. The start to the second half though was the polar opposite. It just wasn't surprising though which is a problem.

JC Anton likes this.
  12. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    He's said he's the "best winger at the club" but has persisted with * It's baffling.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2024
    mayo likes this.
  13. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

I agree with a lot of what you say, but there is absolutely no doubt we were a better team under Ange, both in intensity and style. We've regressed - many reasons for that, fitness, poor transfer windows etc, as you say, but it's clear as day.

I hope things improve with more time and another couple of windows, but we look vulnerable. That air of invincibility we developed under Ange domestically is gone.

14. stevoEOS

I think the argument would be that he’s struggled to get a tune out the players/team for the majority of the season. We’ve been poor overall and incredibly inconsistent. Yes the transfer windows were a complete shitshow, that simply cannot be denied but the style of play has been brutal to watch on the whole & we should have been performing better even taking transfers & injuries in to account.

NakamuraTastic and johnfife1959 like this.
  15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

16. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Maybe, but can't really blame him for playing the new signings.. the calibre of those signings is the bigger issue.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  17. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    There has been too much turgid pishy football.
    I get that in spl it's difficult to breakdown teams but if you don't have that intensity for 90 andbthay includes time taken for throw ins etc something ain't right.

But as someone mentioned earlier made subs at the right time.

18. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Would agree with this. He also left Forrest on for longer than I expected, which worked.

JC Anton likes this.
  19. mayo

Persisted with Yang over Forrest for too long though

JC Anton likes this.
  20. Creativecelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current Team:Kyogo; Invincible Team: Brown; Seville Team: Larsson; Burns Team: McNamara
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Various
    Had an interesting chat with a guy involved with Newcastle and Championship golf. He stated that Celtic aren’t the draw that the fans believe it is. Most professionals be it in the administration side of things or Football manger would prefer the money and competition of EPL. Thats what we are up against when recruiting a new manager or a new CEO.