1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Zimbabwe

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by The Doctor, Dec 10, 2008.

Discuss Zimbabwe in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The Doctor

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley, Four Leaf Clover
    I don't know how many of you have been following this story in the news, but there has been an outbreak of cholera in the country recently.

This follows the chronic shortage of food, hyper inflation making money worthless and the ongoing abuse of human rights by Mugabe. The pictures on the news are horrific, surely it's time we did something about this *?

If we can come up with trumped up charges to justify invading Iraq, then we should be able to intervene in Zimbabwe before more die.

2. angiebowie

yeah, it is horrific, and it upsets me greatly, so i tend not to follow it on the news because sadly no one will step up to the mark and stop this monster

3. Fancy Pants

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    roamin in the glomin
    This has been getting to me for several years now.

The guy is a total animal he,s ruined what used to be one of the most prosperiuos countries in Africa and I fear if we don,t step in soon the place will be devastated beyond repair

4. Henke.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Murdoch, Henke, Jinky, Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    This is how it feels to be Celtic
    They don't have oil, they are not of any strategic importance and they're not threatening anyone.
    Why would we want to intervene?
    That's probably the reasons.
    I think that in cases like this NATO should just go in and remove Mugabe and his henchmen and let the true elected president run the country.

5. Cash 67

I was going out with a Zimbabwean girl a few months back and she reckons it's pretty much * beyond repair. Mugabe is a complete animal in the Amin mould, good luck to them.

6. made in ireland

the americans and britain went into iraq on the grounds of a 'regime change'. where are they now? zimbabwe is in arguably a much worse state, yet the americans and british fail to anything, simply because zimbabwe has little resources.

7. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Notice how that stupid * George Bush adds his comments just as he's about to leave office and he doesn't have to do anything about it. He had plenty of time to act and didn't as Zimbabwe is miles down his selfish list of priorities.

This latest cholera outbreak has even started to get a lot of the other African countries to plead for interference from outside which most, if not all, have been against in the past due to the feeling of colonial rule returning.

8. MartyC

the same goes for sierra leone dr congo sudan korea burma there are so many countries that abuse human rights and get away with it, its all down to what they have to offer the west if they do help them.

makes me sick when i hear about them justifying the reasons to go to war when there are places in the world with a lot worse going on.

world police when it suits

9. randy

Fav Celtic Player:
    paul mc stay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    let the people sing
    i think the rate of inflation is 2,300%. stuff is doubling every hour. is it gonna take a famine for the UN to remove mugabe? i really hope it doesn't happen but i dont see a way out of the hole their in unless the world takes drastic action now

10. caoimhin 98

they are printing banknotes to the value of 200,000,000 that can't even buy a loaf of bread.where was mandela and the a.n.c while this was happening?is it asking to much that they call this tyrant what he is and stop referring to him as the freedom fighter he once was

11. randy

Fav Celtic Player:
    paul mc stay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    let the people sing
    its hard to believe mate. the ANC have been very quiet about this and condeleeza rice was speaking out against him at the weekend too but words aren't gonna put food in peoples mouths. its gonna take a humanitarian disaster before something happens

12. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Haven't we stopped trading with Zimbabwe at present?
    I know that's not enough, but at least it would be something.

One of the reasons for not heading into Zimbabwe at present may be due to the personnel shortages in the armed forces. The Army, The RN and the The RAF are all under subscribed. Wouldn't we be very stretched if we deployed more troops to yet another region?

EDIT: If the rate of inflation is 2,300% and going up every hour, then you wouldn't want to spend too long in a shop.

13. randy

Fav Celtic Player:
    paul mc stay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    let the people sing
  14. Dan1888

Places like this the army should be in Mugabe has been getting away with all these atrocities for far to long it was about time something was done about helping the people of Zimbabwe.