1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you be happy with Arab millions?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Paul McAuley, Feb 16, 2019.

Discuss Would you be happy with Arab millions? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. StainseyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Andy Hinkel !!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Think we could do with them investing in the league as a whole. Give all the clubs an extra 100 mill and see what happens.

2. Mr. Slippyfist

I bet you any money that Man City supporters aren't complaining about having Guardiola in as manager with the abundance of talent they have and with whatever silverware they've won since being taken over by Arabs.

Nor would Chelski fans bemoan however many league titles they've won since Roman (in the Gloamin) appeared with his blank chequebook - finally won a CL and a Europa league.

I get we as a support (well, the majority of us) want our identity to remain in tact for the remainder of our days, but I genuinely don't see how multi-million pound investment would threaten that? We get millions, we get better players. We can compete at higher levels. Tell me, where is the negative in that?

3. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    No * off.

OnTheBallAgain likes this.
  4. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

If you can find any. I went down for a cup game v Chelsea a few seasons back. Empty seats everywhere, people sitting on their phones taking pictures, no atmosphere, no singing, no passion. For all their money they don't have a football club. At this moment in time they have a football team but not an actual club.

The same for Salzburg. I was over in October. For as good as their team is on the park because of their investment they can't even fill 1/3 of their 30,000 capacity stadium. No songs, no atmosphere,no passion, people just sitting in their seats looking on to the game but completely disengaged from it.

There's countless examples of it mate. Locally and globally. These rich benefactors don't just plop money into a football club's account. It's all complex financial structures where they are guarantors until they lose interest.

• Mileson took Gretna to the top league and Scottish Cup Final then they die

• Romanov came in and promised that Hearts would end the Glasgow duopoly but for a CVA Hearts would've went to the wall

• Anzi Makachkala were taken over by a Dagestani billionaire who funded moves for Carlos, Eto'o, Zhirkov etc. after 3 seasons he pulled away the rug and they have fell to *.

• David Murray basically done similar with the huns, burying £50 million of the huns overdraft into his Murray International Holdings account and building the club on sinking sand which eventually ended in liquidation.

Of course I want to see the best players possible playing for Celtic but not at a cost of potentially jeopardising the club or giving away too much power to a single individual or a small group of individuals. The Kellys and the Whites almost ran us into the ground with their arrogance and ego. * ever allowing that to even be a remote possibility again.

5. Mr. Slippyfist

Aye, I went down (begrudgingly) to a couple of EPL games in the last couple of years (Man City v Liverpool, Man Utd v Arsenal) - both games the supporter (bar Liverpool) was appalling. But you know what, wasn't really THAT dis-similar to what we had at CP before THE GB really became the conductors and even before Rodgers came in as manager.

Our support (on the most part) will take care of itself - regardless of what kind of money comes in.

Now onto your examples - clearly those were disastrous for the clubs, but then so was as you say the likes of the Whytes and Kellys.

But for everyone of them, you will also have successes.

6. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Spot on mate

Random Review and Seán Mac D like this.
  7. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

The worry would be when the sugar daddy decides he has had enough, rides off into the sunset and saddles us with millions of pounds worth of debt.

8. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

* no :56: would rather be relegated than have that

9. shaunm

Something has to change,we are cannon fodder for decent teams in Europe now,don’t know what the answer is tbh

10. Mr. Slippyfist

Well at least we know what type of idiot you are then...

Senna s1979 likes this.
  11. Mr. Slippyfist

Must be * being a Man City and Chelsea supporter mate - spending every day in absolute dread that the Arabs or Abramovich are ready to * off to Tenerife...

12. tomlamb

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Using Chelsea and Man City as examples isn’t a great boost to an argument for it happening. English football has ruined the game, so I would never want to take that root. Would sooner all the big leagues, with their American, Russian and arab backers, just * off and left everybody else to our own European tournaments

13. Mr. Slippyfist

Since the whole thread is a hypothetical question, then mention of any examples of Arab/Billionaire takeovers are relevant.

14. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

:50:

15. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Short-term success aye, in almost all circumstances they do. Long-term, Abramovic is maybe the only one you could say has stuck round for long enough and even then we don't know what will happen when he eventually leaves.

We are the dominant team in this country as it is. we can continue that without the need for some sugar daddy splurging on us. Personally I take great pride in that essentially all of our achievements over the years have been gained through effort, hard-work and sustenance of the supporters.

Jock Stein done 9 in a row and a European Cup by being a superb manager and putting together a team that could hammer the rest. The huns tried to replicate/exceed that by spending other people's money to do so.

I get why people want to see more money come in but for me the risks outweigh the benefits.

16. Mr. Slippyfist

Like it or not mate, this is 2019 not 1967. Football has changed massively and we as a club are nowhere near good enough for Europe. If we want to even begin to be a DECENT team at the top level of European football, then we need investment and some seriously good players coming in the door.

Technically we COULD do this, but for all of the stability our current regime have brought us over the years we have been massively let down by them in terms of getting back what we put in.

We may be the dominant team in our own country , but we are the whipping boys of Europe. I'm not happy with that, The PLC are.

Anycunt who says they aren't pulling their hair out at that is a liar.

17. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I agree about the situation we're currently in but I don't agree that some rich, faceless benefactor is the solution.

For me it will take collective action and a complete restructure of European Football. European Football has became mind-numbingly boring and I don't say that just because we have declined on that stage. Watching the same teams compete in the latter stages, year after year after year, in the same tired format has become boring. I know I'm not alone in that sentiment.

With UEFA looking to close the shop even more to the big boys it's only going to get worse. The Champions League used to be a brilliant tournament. I remember Real Madrid and Man Utd going hammer and tongs at each other at Old Trafford. Casillas, Ronaldo, Carlos, Zidane, Figo up against Keane, Giggs, Beckham, Van Nistelrooy. Ended up 4-3. One of the best games I've ever watched. Now with all the changes and how tentative things are due to the huge financial implications it's killed it as a spectacle. Most games turn out to be chess matches. From one of the best games ever 16 years ago to something I wouldn't even bother tuning in to now.

Money is killing the game. The way to stop that is to stop participating in the sham with TV companies and their advertising money. If audiences fall enough then so will the pack of cards.

Bringing in a sugar daddy that could jeopardise the long-term stability of our club to participate in this artificial, bastardised Competition seems daft to me. * UEFA, * BT, * Sky, * Arab/Russian dark money siphoned off to the detriment of the citizens, * corporate greed. Everything about it is the antithesis of what Celtic Football club is about.

18. Mr. Slippyfist

Almost everything about current day Celtic is the antithesis of what Celtic Football Club was supposed to be about, but really is it THAT * important?

Ideally I'd love to see us compete without having to throw gold dubloons everywhere to do it, but we had to do it in O'Neill's era when we were still on a slightly level playing field where we could bring in top players on top money. Now? You're lucky if we can trust our scouts etc to go find players of a DECENT level on the same kind of money these guys were costing nearly 20 year ago.

* Scotland and Scottish fitba. I hope we take the first chance to jump from this *-ridden masonic, loyalist establishment and go try and mix it up with better.

If we get offered money by (say) Arab billionaires, I'd take it in a heartbeat. If we get offered millions in sponsorship I'd be taking it in a heartbeat anaw, and why * not!

19. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I wouldn't say everything but I certainly do disagree with a lot of ways the club is run at the moment and am vocal about it. Aye, it's important for me. It's what sets us apart from just any other nondescript football club. As Tommy Burns said we are a people, a cause. We have had a social conscience from inception to the present day with food banks being organised by the grass roots supporters and charitable causes such as 'Match the fine for Palestine' that fight for the oppressed underdog.

That may not be important to some, I understand and can accept that; but it is to me and I can only give my opinion.

Under the MoN era we spent big money but it was money that we generated. Not money that was getting put in to compromise on our ethos or that put the club in financial trouble further down the line.

Look at Man Utd. Regularly taking in more money than any other club in World Football yet winning nothing. A stadium that has become nothing more than a tourist attraction for Asian tourists taking photos of opposition players taking corners. This comment was recently made by the Chairman: "Playing performance doesn't really have a meaningful impact on what we can do on the commercial side of the business."

Surely the commercial side of the business is there to provide a meaningful impact on the playing performance? Not the other way about!

Random Review likes this.
  20. Mr. Slippyfist

I'm not saying those issues aren't important, what I'm saying is that precisely those types of drives and initiatives have hee haw to do with the CLUB, those are supporter-led initiatives. The CLUB are too busy donating £10k every year to Poppy Scotland....

The second part of the boldened text in your post is something that you need to be careful of. I get it that having * sitting filming games on iPads etc isn't exactly great for atmosphere, but who the * is anyone to say that a certain type of person (apart from monkey hun orange masonic loyalist * racist tory *) aren't allowed or welcome inside Celtic Park? Did the Japanese "invasion" that came every other week when Nakamura was here ruin our atmosphere? Nah. *, I'd rather have 10,000 wee smiling Japs sitting clicking chopsticks at our games than sit and listen to 10,000 grumpy Scottish * that do * all but moan and shout some amount of negative *.