1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you be happy with Arab millions?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Paul McAuley, Feb 16, 2019.

Discuss Would you be happy with Arab millions? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Paul McAuley

Hypothetically how would you troops feel about a multi millionaire coming in and promising to spend Celtics maximum under fifa fair play regulations.

At the current moment we have a billionaire majority share holder. At the same time we hoard any funds in case we need it for such a time when we don't meet certain targets and need the money to stay in the black.

My question is how would we all feel if we spent our limit every season with the risk being absorbed with a foreign owner at the helm?

I honestly agree with our current structure, especially when looking over the fence at our neighbours but it's seriously frustrating knowing that our glass ceiling seems to be dropping lower on us every season as world football leaves us behind.

It hurts knowing where we came from, not just the glory of 67 or near glory of 70 but 03 in Seville seems so far away.

* grammar police give me a bye on this wan..coupla bottles and full 03 run on YouTube deep... tried ma best

2. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
  3. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    No one would ever risk that amount of money in the league we play in. But yes.

Tommy25 likes this.
  4. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

5. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Arabian nights and disco lights

6. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    No.

pete0301 likes this.
  7. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    The problem is that there is little or no revenue in Scottish fitbaw, so there would be no return on the investment, it would have to be a mad Celtic fan or a raving nutter willing tae blow his cash. :56:

8. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Knew you’d like an Arab running the show..:56:

Marty McFly likes this.
  9. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Yes.

We can’t keep up with inflation in football presently.

Although we could be doing much better as we make much more than we are willing to spend, relatively.

10. Paul McAuley

No a risk tho is it. Fifa fair play says we can only spend what we earn and surely Celtic (voted recently 20th biggest club in the world) is a global platform to gives these financiers what the want.... A big billboard..alla psg/man city

11. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

If it meant we could afford high quality players like Scott McKenna then I'm all for it.

12. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
  13. clonbhoy

It is hard enough as it is with the current * on the board. Even the fact that this could be suggested, albeit extremely unlikely, is why I hate football now.
    I think if I was born ten years later I would hate the game. Were this to happen, I think I would pack the game in.

johnboy19 likes this.
  14. Paul McAuley

Ah subscribe to this idea aswell but think about it between the bunnet and DD it has kind of happened to us. I'm just sick of been 40million in the black but can't spend it because 1 it's * in the pool and 2 it's a massive risk. It's frustrating in our bubble.

Wonder if other clubs on the continent feel like this.

15. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I mean they wouldn't be able to recoup their money, only reason they invest heavy in those teams is because the money they make in their leagues prize money and tv deals is huge. They would never make it back here.

16. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
  17. seamus1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    This land is your land.
    Not sure about the "hoard" comment you made.

Out balance looks good but one semi decent players signing on fee plus wages for the duration of the contract would really eat into that figure.

I'm old enough to remember turning on the TV and seeing my football club as the main headline on the BBC national one o'clock news. In England where no one gives a flying * about Scottish football.

I like the idea of someone rich coming in a pumping mullions in. But I'm happy where we are albeit very frustrated with with situation vis Europe.

Without the TV money available to other countries any investment on a scale to take us to ffp limits would be nonsensical.

Obviously I would welcome it but I would have serious questions as to why someone would do it. Rich people don't gt rich by doing things like that .

PorchBhoy67 likes this.
  18. clonbhoy

The bunnet and DD have some sort of connection to the club and we didn't become a franchise. Celtic is still a football club, even if the board twist it. The likes of Manchester City and Liverpool are just franchises with only remote connections to the clubs they were.

19. Paul McAuley

I might be wrong but my opinion is they don't make money from tv/ prize winnings.. It's either advertising or just there self promotion. Psg/man city- fly Emirates or Roman abramavich - to have enfluence in London.

20. Xatraps Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I would marry an Arab millionaire and let him defile me any way he wishes, purely for the money.
    So considering that, it's an easy yes answer to allow one to bankroll my football team.

Rydo1888* and Seosamh Máirtín like this.