1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Will you sign up for the Covid-19 contact tracing app?

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Seán Mac D, May 4, 2020.

Discuss Will you sign up for the Covid-19 contact tracing app? in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

If you’re a fair and objective please point out where it was me and not you that brought HIV and the flu into the discussion?

You were the one that started with the condescending pish about being ‘valiant’ for wanting to be part of a collective effort to stop people from dieing.

Take a look at the excess mortality graphs for the UK and then try and argue that I’m using ‘emotive language’. Like I said, my priorities start and stop at aiding the saving of lives and if that means something as basic and simple as downloading an App to my phone then that’s what I’ll do.

This pre-empting tin foil hat stuff will help no one in the long run.

2. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Hawd the bus. Can we go back to @Slaw saying his pal gets followed by a drone ....

3. FATLAZYBHOY Born in the steamie Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    CELTIC SONG (CLASSIC)
    so it's like a wee pet then.
    c'mon boy, we're going to the shops, where's your lead.
    that's a good boy. :56::56:

4. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Here...

If the use and mandating of technology is contingent on it saving lives then that doesn't only apply to Covid-19. People could be saved from contracting the Flu or HIV, with similar technology being applied.

I really wasn't. I was being 100% sincere when I said that wanting to stop people dying from Covid-19 is a valiant pursuit. I'm completely on board with that goal and have a vested personal interest with grandparents in the risk category and close relatives who work for the NHS.

My point was simply that I won't do absolutely anything for that pursuit.

I have nothing against you freely choosing to do that Paul, I would fight for your right to do that. Conversely though I think it's my right not to opt-in to such a scheme.

There's no "pre-empting tin foil hat stuff", the examples I've given have already happened or are currently happening.

5. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Where? I never mentioned it, you did?

It only applies to Covid-19 in the middle of a global pandemic of Covid-19 which has altered life forever until a suitable mass produced and delivered vaccine programme. Neither HIV or the flu have ground the entire planet to a halt, this has. There is no comparison to be made, it’s futile to even mention it. However, like I say, contact tracing has existed for years. This is just it being ramped up using current technology in an attempt to ease the economy back into play before the resultant collapse kills even more people.

Tangent question - will you be taking the vaccine when it’s available?

6. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

You inferred that the primary purpose of the app is "saving lives" - but in that case why should the technology only be utilised to save lives from Covid-19?

Why wouldn't/shouldn't it be used to potentially save lives with other infections or diseases?

Making a differentiation between them because Covid-19 has ground the planet to a halt makes no sense considering Contact Tracing apps wouldn't resolve that issue.

Contact tracing has existed for years but through GPs or medical professionals and where you have the right under the Freedom of Information act to access the data held about yourself; not on a centralised database which eternally maps your GPS activity and medical history, which may be used for another purpose or purposes further down the line.

Yes, I believe in vaccination and will be taking the vaccine.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  7. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

That's what I'm saying :giggle1: Why is this even remotely acceptable? I'd assume it's not just him that it follows.

8. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    That’s older relatives not whole generations, let’s put this Covid-19 into perspective. 9.1 million people died of starvation or hunger related disease alone last year on this planet, yet they want to know our every move over this with 200k deaths, it doesn’t add up for me tbh.

9. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Surely if your mate puffs in the direction of the drone it won't be able to see him for the plumes of smoke? :smoke:

Slaw likes this.
  10. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Is he a big time dealer ?

11. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I live on an island with one major supermarket, Tesco and two small co-ops. The co-ops are fine, but anyone who wants to do a proper household shop ends up in Tesco at some point.

No need for me to be using an app to trace it, if it's on this island then we have all been in contact with each other in some form over the last two weeks.
    From me going to the petrol station that serves 8k people, to the supermarket that serves 20k people.
    Even if some of them are not directly going to the supermarket, the car bringing them the groceries will have used the petrol station that serves 8k people, which is driven by a guy who does use the supermarket.

Catch * twenty two.
    And as for rolling out a test on the Isle of Mann/jursey or wherever, same principles.

And that's before we discuss the ferry or airport that is used as a lifeline for the island.

I may not directly have covid ever, but I bet you any money I've been in contact with someone who has had it.

The fear at the start of all this was "if one person has it, they can infect 3 others...if those three then don't isolate...."
    That was mid march, news flash, lockdown hasn't worked (in the sense that everyone has abided by it) and the contact between folk has still been clear.
    Those 3 became 9 those 9 became 27..... Etc.
    Clearly it didn't spread THAT fast, but considering the expected rate of contact, you're up * creek if you think an island will not have all contaminated each other by now in some form of contact.

The benefit to island life in all this would have been if we shut the islands off right at the start and had contact and trace as a viable method at the start. That way anyone who leaked on to the island in that first couple of days could have been dealt with, now.... * useless.

So no, I won't be downloading it as it will be absolutely * useless information.

And that's before I even start to assume the fact they will use my information for other things.

Sent from my Nokia 6.2 using Tapatalk

12. celtic warrior

Maybe because left unchecked it could kill millions and devastate a country?

Yeah it may seem a little skew when so many other issues exists but a virus can spread and kill anyone at anytime regardless of their station in life and is absolutely cunty as it sounds, starvation won't.

Albeit on the topic of the app, I am, as a pure grumpy cynical * still somewhat dubious about installing an app made directly by the government. But again my ISP can track everything I do, Facebook, twitter, WhatsApp and so many different apps have clever little access points to a lot of personal data so it does seem strange that I'd be so reluctant on this app when i alreadu give permission to so many others.

13. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Not at all no just smokes the odd time

14. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    And on talk of a vaccine, this is all rather * sinister imo.

15. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

How many deaths from hunger/starvation related diseases in regions where contact tracing is proposed?

16. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

My Granny was paralysed from the waist down from a flu vaccine while my da had severe back pain for a year from the same jab.

Drives me mad that people think it's insanity to have doubts about vaccinations.

17. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
  18. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Do you aye? Well for me it’s about choice, how about not being forced to do something you aren’t comfortable with? This is all rather draconian for a vaccine, did you even watch the video and what he is explaining?

19. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

But I doubt anyone in the U.K. is dying of starvation? Or a very minuscule amount.

20. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Honestly? Ok.